2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Burning Room (Harry Bosch, #17; Harry Bosch Universe, #26)
This topic is about The Burning Room
The Burning Room > Question E

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Do you understand why there always seems to be tension between the cold case detectives and those originally assigned to the case?

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments In some cases, the original cops are probably thinking that this new team will come in and show them up by solving the case. Or worse yet, they could say the original team didn't do a good job at investigating. Other cops might welcome the new cops just to bring the bad guys to justice.

I can certainly understand them being defensive but right out of the gate snarling seems unfair. This case was 10 years old so let someone else have a shot at it.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Cops are territorial. They view other detectives coming in as a threat to their skill, and they don't like being second guessed.
I agree with Jonetta that it shouldn't be that way - solving the case and getting justice for the victims should be the priority, not a cop's ego.

I’m guessing this is the reality as we see it in just about every book, movie or TV show.