Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
This book is pretty short and is already separated into Part 1 and Part 2. So that is how I will divide the discussion posts. So here we can talk about the first part of the book. How are you liking reading a novel full of letters? Have you read an epistolary novel before? Do you feel like the letters add to or take away from the pacing and flow, the characters?

Feel free to also share other thoughts and reactions you've had so far.

I haven't quite finished this section yet, but am really enjoying this book! I am loving the characters in the Literary Society and the stories of how reading together made such a difference in their lives during the war. I am loving Juliet and her little love triangle. I find the whole thing to be rather light-hearted, even though we're still getting stories of the atrocities of war. I just read the letter that described the work prisoners walking into the sewage infested waters to try to catch fish to eat. Just awful. I am impressed that even in these short letters we get a sense of who these characters are and come to care about what happened to them. How are you guys liking it?

message 3: by Krista (last edited Jan 05, 2018 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished part one. My big question for you is...Mark or Sidney??? haha. I am team Sidney all the way. I'm convinced he loves Juliet but is playing the part of big brother/friend/boss. Mark has come in and swept her off her feet...or at least tried to, but she is wonderfully strong and independent. I am thrilled she is going to Guernsey in person to meet all of these lovely characters!

Krista wrote: "Just finished part one. My big question for you is...Mark or Sydney??? haha. I am team Sydney all the way. I'm convinced he loves Juliet but is playing the part of big brother/friend/boss. Mark has..."

SO WRONG!! haha. So, I didn't get that quite right.

Amber Eats Books (ambereatsbooks) | 12 comments Finished part one! This book is slowly becoming one of my favorite books. I’m loving the epistolary format. My attachment to each of the characters grows with every letter <3 I can’t wait to see how the letters will change in part two after Juliet has visited Guernsey.

Oh and I’m team Sidney ;)

Amber wrote: "Finished part one! This book is slowly becoming one of my favorite books. I’m loving the epistolary format. My attachment to each of the characters grows with every letter <3 I can’t wait to see ho..."

I have already found another novel of letters to read in February. I'm addicted! haha.

Cheryl I am not quite done with part one but I am really enjoying this book. I am listening to the audio book and it has a great cast. I was a bit worried about the letter format but I really enjoy it. It is amazing how much you get to know the characters through the written word. It has made me think about writing letters to old friends instead of just sending them an email. Can't wait to continue.

Cheryl wrote: "I am not quite done with part one but I am really enjoying this book. I am listening to the audio book and it has a great cast. I was a bit worried about the letter format but I really enjoy it. It..."

I miss writing letters (and getting them in the mail). Our technological age has really done away with that for the most part. I used to write to a ton of people. I should write some again this year. That would be fun.

I'm so glad you're enjoying this book. I was hesitant about listening to a book of letters on audio (that's how I listened to Last Christmas in Paris), but it was surprisingly easy to follow and connect with. Can't wait to hear what you think as you continue!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (brandnewbooksmell) (brandnewbooksmell) | 6 comments Krista ... write a letter to me! 😂 - I’m on page 45 and having trouble keeping track of who is who. Should I write the names down or just keep reading?

Lisa wrote: "Krista ... write a letter to me! 😂 - I’m on page 45 and having trouble keeping track of who is who. Should I write the names down or just keep reading?"

Maybe I will! :) I think knowing who everyone is will get easier. I was slightly confused at the beginning too.

Cassie | 37 comments Epistolaries are one of my favorite types of books to read! This one is really well done.
I am convinced that there is no better place to live than Guernsey in 1946; not because of material or tangible things but because of the literary society - a group of people that gently and thoroughly care for each other. Their suffering during the war was terrible and yet, it didn't change them or destroy them.

Juliet makes me laugh...she seems to feel so deeply and to connect so easily with people and at the same time she's foethright and funny. I just like her!

But oh that Mark Reynolds! I keep telling her to run from him but she hasn't listened yet. He's a selfish, narcissistic cad and he will make her miserable and squash out the light in her. Sidney needs to come home and talk some sense into her.

Cassie | 37 comments Krista wrote: "Krista wrote: "Just finished part one. My big question for you is...Mark or Sydney??? haha. I am team Sydney all the way. I'm convinced he loves Juliet but is playing the part of big brother/friend..."

I dont know how Sidney feels about her. Sophie seems to think he loves her but Juliet doesn't see him that way.
I know for sure that Mark is not for her. Sidney needs to either be the big brother and help her see him for who he is or he needs to fight for her heart.
Or maybe one of the island men will be her love.....

Cassie | 37 comments Krista wrote:

I have al..."

Try Ella Minnow Pea. It was the first one I read and continues to be a favorite. I have a whole shelf of them...but read that one sooner than later.

message 14: by Berna (last edited Jan 30, 2018 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Berna | 64 comments Wow, I am really hooked to this book, I am a big believer that writing really expresses how a person feels and who that person is. Therefore, I loved this format. I will keep reading more epistolary books.
I wanna know all the characters in Guernsey, even the mean ones like Miss Addison (was that her name?). They are so fleshed out that I feel like I know them like Juliet does without meeting any of them, yet. The lighter tone of the book does not diminish the horrors of war, in fact that is why they use humor and literature, to endure the war.
I do not like Mark, he is a selfish character all the way. He is so self-centered, he even assumes that he is interested in the same things as Juliet. I am guessing that Juliet is unknowingly in love with Sdyney. I am not so sure about Sydney but if he is, I am also team Sdyney.

Cassie | 37 comments Miss Addison has to have a lost love in her past....don't you think?

Cassie wrote: "Miss Addison has to have a lost love in her past....don't you think?"

I wish we got a bit more about her in the 2nd half of the book! She was a fun character for sure. A bit of salty for all the sweet!

Berna wrote: "Wow, I am really hooked to this book, I am a big believer that writing really expresses how a person feels and who that person is. Therefore, I loved this format. I will keep reading more epistolar..."

I am glad you connected to an epistolary format. I certainly did too. I know it's not for everyone though.

Patricia | 19 comments I read the first part in January and am a little fuzzy on details but I was definitely hoping for Juliet and Sidney to get together. Ooooops! But their friendship was so sweet and loving still. Ugh, couldn't stand Mark, he was so
arrogant, but Juliet knew how to handle him!
Juliet was such an opinionated, independent woman that did what she wanted to do not what was expected of her during that time. And she had a great sense of humor. Loved her!
I initially couldn't keep all the characters straight but soon was able to focuse on the main ones. Their stories made me want to go to Guernsey and meet everyone of them.