You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Off Topic Chat > Watcha Doin' - 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,788 (3788 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 75 76

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Happy New Year! What kind of new adventures will 2018 bring? This thread is for whatever strikes your fancy. It could be what's going on in your life, something you observed, an epiphany you want to share, or whatever is on your mind.

Saar The Book owl | 1819 comments Happy New Year everybody! I wish you a year full of books (of course!), but also a year full of kindness, love and the joy of happiness on little, unexpected moments.

I've started the first day of this year at work. I've got the early shift and started at 6u.45 a.m.

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Happy New Year! I'm enjoying a quiet evening by myself tonight. My granddaughter is at an overnight party. I'm going to read for a few hours and sleep in in the morning. I'm back to work on Tuesday.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Happy New year.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Hello 2018! Wishing everyone a good one.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15382 comments Happy new year everyone!

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Happy New Year YLTO! Glad to see all here already.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Happy New Year to everyone in YLTO. Let's hope we all have another great reading year in 2018.

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I finished my reading challenge last year but didn't yet mark all my books as read. Wonder if I go through and mark them read in 2017 if my challenge will show complete.

message 10: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3721 comments Happy New Year everyone!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Yes, Travis, it will. Just set the date of read in 2017.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments If you are using Microsoft Edge's browser, you may have trouble backdating. If so, use Chrome to do your updates.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments It's 10:45 am and I've been fighting with my body since 9:30. I need a nap! I think I shall give in to it. It's a lazy day and I can take the Christmas tree down later. It's supposed to warm up today, but it's still in the deep freeze. I have a bit of an ice build up on my deck doors and I can't them open to go out and turn off my Christmas lights. I may have to take a hair dryer to it later.

message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments As Sandra says, Travis. I did it for three books last night.

Good nap, Janice?

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments The nap was short!

Temps warmed up to -2C and the deck door thawed out. The fireworks scheduled for New Years Eve had been cancelled because of the extreme cold. With the dramatic rise of temperature, they set them off last night.

I went out on my deck and discovered that I have a great view of them from my new house. I used to sit on my bed in my apartment and watch out the window. Physically, I was closer to the park where they hold them, but my view was obstructed a bit by trees and tall buildings. In my new house, the view is unobstructed. I can see even the low ones. It was a great show.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Great, Janice! I love fireworks.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:31AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Me too! I was lamenting that I would no longer be able to sit on my bed and watch out my window. I ended up with a much better view.

Now, I'm looking forward to July 1st.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Just heard that there was a fire at Woburn Safari Park earlier today. It broke out in a monkey house and all 13 patas monkeys inside sadly lost their lives ☹️ It happened just over two weeks after the fire at London Zoo and it's not yet clear how it started. I hope it was just accidental but the timing is a bit odd. These things seem to be happening a lot here lately.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments How sad!

message 20: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments That is sad Lisa. I hadn't heard yet.

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10023 comments Happy new year all!

Yikes - back to reality and finally caught up with myself! Seems i have over 50 notifications on GR so a I must have missed a lot!

I had a wonderful time at the wedding and hubby and I made the most of the time away.

Great food, lots of booze, bag pipes, drummers - my ears and my head are only recovering now :O

Our invalids survived without us but my mum was starting to get cabin fever so we were very welcome home.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Margo wrote: "Happy new year all!

Yikes - back to reality and finally caught up with myself! Seems i have over 50 notifications on GR so a I must have missed a lot!

I had a wonderful time at the wedding and ..."

Glad you had a nice time away, Margo.

message 23: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 577 comments Hope everyone in the northern hemisphere is staying warm! We've started off the new year with temps of -5 degrees F. :( I'm in my office in a sweater, drinking coffee and my space heater is on full blast!

Lisa - That's horrible! I hope it was a freak accident, not intentional or from negligence.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote"Lisa- That's horrible! I hope it was a freak accident, not intentional or from negligence."

Laura, the official line at the moment is that it was accidental. They think the fire started in a generator in the monkey's enclosure. I just hope it didn't start as a result of the generator being faulty and not being dealt with.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14187 comments That’s so sad, Lisa! Poor monkeys.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments It's a bit of a stormy day here in the UK today. Storm Eleanor came through during the night and is still here today. Some areas have been hit pretty hard. It's really windy where I live and there is some damage in the local area but we have got off pretty lightly compared to some.

How are things where you are, Sarah? I was wondering earlier how you were getting on on your boat during this weather.

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15382 comments We have the first big storm of the year too. It's very windy, and there has been damage all over the country (trees fallen on the road, on houses and on the railway, rooftiles swept from roofs, trucks falling over, that sort of stuff), also rollercoasters in amusement parks are closed. Also the water level in the sea and rivers is quite high, so measures are taken to make sure there's no flooding.

message 28: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Hello everyone! I am back!

I wish a happy new year to all of you and hope that you can achieve what you want for this year.

I let all the pressure from an hectic month of december. I haven't been able to read much but I am getting back into it right now!

See you all very soon in the threads!

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Very windy here. Pretty rocky on the boat. And noisy. I slept ok although i was woken a few times when it got bad. All safe and sound. Know loads of people whose boats came unpinned and either spun the boat around, wedged them across the canal or left them floating about. We were moored well wo no problems there. It's supposed to bevwindy for another 6 hours.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Clément wrote: "Hello everyone! I am back!

I wish a happy new year to all of you and hope that you can achieve what you want for this year.

I let all the pressure from an hectic month of december. I haven't been..."

Welcome back, Clément. Happy New Year to you.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "We have the first big storm of the year too. It's very windy, and there has been damage all over the country (trees fallen on the road, on houses and on the railway, rooftiles swept from roofs, tru..."

I wonder if it's the same storm we got, Peggy? It's heading off over the North Sea so could easily hit you there in the Netherlands.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Very windy here. Pretty rocky on the boat. And noisy. I slept ok although i was woken a few times when it got bad. All safe and sound. Know loads of people whose boats came unpinned and either spun..."

Glad to hear you and your boat are safe, Sarah. I thought the wind had died down earlier but it seems to be strengthening again now.

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15382 comments I just read that a lot of Europe is suffering from stormy weathers. It started here between 4 and 6am, also with hail and tunder and lots of rain, then it was a bit quiter, but around 10am the wind picked again. It's grey and there has been a bit of rain, but mostly just a lot of wind. I'm sure all those storms are connected.

message 34: by Lisa (last edited Jan 03, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "I just read that a lot of Europe is suffering from stormy weathers. It started here between 4 and 6am, also with hail and tunder and lots of rain, then it was a bit quiter, but around 10am the wind..."

I reckon they are all connected too. What nice weather to kick off the new year! Clearly 2018 wants to come in with a bang.

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15382 comments It's also quite warm. On the 31st of December it was 14C during the day! The weather here's going to change this weekend though, just above zero during the day and mostly dry with perhaps a bit of wet snow.

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Good to see you back, Clément!

Sorry to hear about the storm. I hope it clams down soon. We here still incredibly frozen... and it doesn't seem to improve soon. My family and friends in Uruguay complain it is so hot down there you can breath, and everyone is trying to stay indoors as much as possible. Something is really wrong with our climate...

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Welcome back Clément! Hope life is a little less crazy.

Hope you're all okay in the storms. I didn't even register how bad a storm could be for you guys, Sarah. Low to the ground, fine. Stupid water! Glad you're alright and well moored.

I read tonight that the east coast US is about to be hit with a "bomb cyclone". Urgh http://www.motherjones.com/environmen...

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments Eastern Canada is also preparing for a bad storm expected to hit tomorrow.

message 39: by Cody (new)

Cody | 348 comments Rusalka wrote: "Welcome back Clément! Hope life is a little less crazy.

Hope you're all okay in the storms. I didn't even register how bad a storm could be for you guys, Sarah. Low to the ground, fine. Stupid wat..."

are they like willy willies :P :P

message 40: by Jayme (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:15AM) (new)

Jayme | 2543 comments We are in the middle of the "bomb cyclone" here in Virginia Beach. We have about 6 more hours of the snow before it flies up the coast. We lost power at 3 am, but luckily it cam back on around 6 am. I've lived here for over 20 years and have never seen it this bad. It is pretty though and I have several days of good reading to look forward too since we will be stuck inside for several days.

message 41: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Cody was commenting on Annerlee's thread about his bins blowing away in Storm Eleanor

I'm not sure what they have in Manchester, but here in Aus, everything goes through one plant. There is no people sifting. They have processes to separate tins from plastic from paper, etc. I cannot believe they have people literally sifting through recycling in a city that big. Costs too much. But non-recyclables stuffs everything up.

We have garbage, recyclables, and green bins here.

Hope everyone is okay with that storm. It sounded absolutely massive!!!

message 42: by Cody (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:51AM) (new)

Cody | 348 comments Rusalka wrote: "Cody was commenting on Annerlee's thread about his bins blowing away in Storm Eleanor

I'm not sure what they have in Manchester, but here in Aus, everything goes through one plant. There is no pe..."

I could be wrong with that but I would have thought there had to be people involved somewhere? If they can separate it out anyway why have more than 1 bin? If I am honest though I do not know and will need to look into it when I am not on my lunch, this evening perhaps

Manchester also brought this in not saying 'recycling is good' but 'this will save us money' which annoyed me

I am not an expert in this and I know new batteries are touted all the time but ...

I suppose my main problem is that until they create a better battery (which I think they are near https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_b... ) the most important resource on the planet is oil and it will only get more expensive.

My recycling scheme uses more of that and I imagine there are hundreds like it

once someone creates a battery like the one I linked, it could literally save the world - no one will want a petrol car when the battery ones are better, the less used sustainable resources become better etc, global warming should recede (if it can iam not a GW scientist)

message 43: by Cody (new)

Cody | 348 comments Also last time I went to the tip, the recycling rate was really low (like 40% they advertise it on a board) I am not sure if you guys are just better recyclers / put more resources into it than us in general?

message 44: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Meanwhile we got called from our trash hauler saying we're throwing too many recyclables in the dumpster. We called and said are pizza boxes recyclable. No. Is cardboard soaked with motor oil recyclable. No. Is the drums our farm chemicals come in recyclable. Yes but they won't accept them due to residue so no. Ok so could someone tell us what recyclables are going in then. No. But you're positive you're being fined at the transfer site for recyclables being in the trash and it's coming from our dumpster. Yes.
yeah. Obviously it's not us we take a car load of recyclables over every Saturday because the hauler won't take them even though he's supposed to the driver is an asshat. That's basically what they told us. Plus we exceed the limit on how many recyclables they'll take on the truck anyway. Again if we exceed the amount of recyclables how are we throwing too many recyclables in the trash then.

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Maybe they we're referring to the two garbage bags we picked up from side of road along our property which were dirty and nasty and I figured we did enough by picking it all up I wasn't also cleaning it all to separate the recyclables.

message 46: by Laura (Lclwags) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 577 comments We just moved about 10 miles closer to town, so we're in the city limits now. We were way too excited that we get a recycling bin instead of having to separate and haul to the recycling center!

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15382 comments I sometimes don't get the whole recycling business. Well, obviously I get the point of recycling, but around here there's so much variation between how it's done (even within a city, between neighbourhoods), that I sometimes wonder if it even makes sense that we do it ourselves.

The most striking example is that plastic recyclables are picked up in front of your house once every two weeks. Cans and drink cartons you should bring to a recycling point yourself, or throw it in the general garbage. However, in a neighbouring town, you can put plastics, cans and drink cartons in one and the same bag. That doesn't make sense to me, I'm sure our bags and their bags all end up at the same recycling plant.

I have no idea whether people are involved there.

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49975 comments We have our trash bins for regular garbage, recyclables like plastic and paper go in blue plastic bags, boxes and cardboard stay loose on the ground. One truck comes early and picks up the recyclables, and the other comes later and empties the bins. If you have a clear plastic bag, or doesn't meet their criteria, they just leave it.

I put some boxes out in the evening before garbage day, and there was a strong wind that night. A couple of those boxes were not to be found in the morning. Either the wind blew them away, or someone had a use for them and took them.

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Different counties have different systems. Organised by local councils. Some are contracted out to companies. Typically there are food bins, recyclable bins, green waste and non-recyclable bins. The recyclable bins get sorted road side by the bin men. Well at least it was when we lived in Bristol. As for what goes in to that bin, it varies on the county.

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments We have all our garbage collected on the same day, once a week. We separate regular garbage, organic garbage, and recyclables like paper, can, glass, plastic containers. Regular garbage and organic garbage are collected by to different trucks, both with same system of the "hand" lifting the bin and emptying it on the truck. We put all the recyclable together in a red bin, and the people who collect them classifies everything right in front of our house. They use trucks with different open compartments where they throw the recyclables before putting back the bin on the curb. It works pretty well.
We also have special dates for leaf collection (in fall and spring), branches collections, and bulk refusal.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 75 76
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.