Around the World discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2012-2020 Discussions > 2018 - Welcome and Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lilisa (last edited Dec 31, 2017 08:04PM) (new)

Lilisa | 1897 comments Mod
Welcome and take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself! At Around the World we love to travel and experience new places or visit familiar haunts. Share about what you enjoy reading and why, what's your favorite book or books are at the moment (if you're like me you have many favorites!), which country you're from and anything you'd like to add. We love hearing from people around the world!

message 2: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 991 comments Mod
Look at you all super speedy!

message 3: by Lilisa (new)

Ha! Behind the eight ball given that most countries are already in the new year! :-)

message 4: by Lilisa (new)

Happy New Year, Rusalka! Have you partied hearty?!

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 3 comments Hi! I love reading and traveling, so this is the perfect group! I am so excited to be a part of it this year! I love reading pretty much anything. My favorites are the Harry Potter series - I love how it teaches courage, bravery, and friendship. I read Wonder last year and loved the lessons it taught too. This year my favorite new series was The Glass Sentence trilogy, which takes you on an adventure throughout the world in different ages - very interesting! I'm from the United States, but love learning about different areas and cultures! Happy New Year everyone!

message 6: by Lilisa (new)

Hi Kayla - welcome! Reading and traveling - both pluses for this group :-) hope you have fun traveling around the world with this group. We love seeking out and learning about other cultures besides our own. Let the adventures begin in 2018!

message 7: by Rusalka (last edited Jan 01, 2018 07:53PM) (new)

Welcome Kayla! Happy New Year! Lovely to have you joining us in 2018. Look forward to seeing where you end up reading, so we can "borrow" ideas heh. Let us know if you have any questions, or need any recommendations!

message 8: by Rusalka (new)

Lilisa wrote: "Happy New Year, Rusalka! Have you partied hearty?!"

Heh not too hard. But made sure 2018 knew it was welcome :P Yourself?

message 9: by Lilisa (new)

Rusalka wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Happy New Year, Rusalka! Have you partied hearty?!"

Heh not too hard. But made sure 2018 knew it was welcome :P Yourself?"

Had a nice one, thanks! :-)

message 10: by Beth (last edited Jan 07, 2018 10:11AM) (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 311 comments I haven't logged books in this group in a couple years, but I thought I would do it again, this year just to see where I go!

I'm mapping my travels (with more or less precision depending on the book....): https://www.travellerspoint.com/membe...

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann7258) | 7 comments Hi everyone! I’m new here...I came across this group and thought the 2018 Around the World concept is so simple and straightforward! I can definitely do this one! I likely won’t make it to 52 countries, but I’m always down for a good trip, away from it all, to new and exotic places! I look forward to joining you all on your travels!

message 12: by Lilisa (new)

Welcome back Beth and welcome CanadAnn. Great having you log books here again Beth - enjoy your travels! CanadAnn - for some reason I thought you were here already :-) We're pretty easygoing - some folks like to travel faster, others more leisurely - whatever works - enjoy the touring the world!

message 13: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome back Beth, and welcome CanadAnn! Lovely to have you guys join us in 2018!!

Don't worry about the idea of 52 books, Ann. Choose how much you want to read, or see where the world takes you on a spin. Only thing we ask, is you tell us where you're going and your book of transport :D

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1299 comments Mod
CanadAnn wrote: "Hi everyone! I’m new here...I came across this group and thought the 2018 Around the World concept is so simple and straightforward! I can definitely do this one! I likely won’t make it to 52 count..."
Welcome, CanadAnn. Don't worry too much about the number part. Many of us have been slowly chipping away at this for years now. YEARS. :)

Beth wrote: "I haven't logged books in this group in a couple years, but I thought I would do it again, this year just to see where I go!

I'm mapping my travels (with more or less precision depending on the bo..."

Hi Beth, nice to see you. :)

message 15: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 33 comments I'm not new to the group, but haven't been around for a year or so, because I'm apparently unreliable when it comes to keeping up with groups. Hello again.

message 16: by Lilisa (new)

Welcome back Hesper - good to see you again ((waves))! We're still traveling around the world so you haven't missed much :-) you have a nice list in the other thread - Pachinko was great and I enjoyed Salt Houses. I'd be interested in your Russian read.

message 17: by Rusalka (new)

Hesper wrote: "I'm not new to the group, but haven't been around for a year or so, because I'm apparently unreliable when it comes to keeping up with groups. Hello again."

Welcome back Hesper. Lovely to see you drop in :)

message 18: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 33 comments Thanks!

Lilisa wrote: "I'd be interested in your Russian read. ."
I'm enjoying it so much, I'm underling things on practically every other page. In pencil and lightly, as it's a library book. :(

I will definitely purchase it so I can give it the marginalia it deserves, and I say this as someone who doesn't usually write in books.

message 19: by Blue (new)

Blue (topazamber) Just wanted to stop by and write a hello and Happy New Year. Blue

message 20: by Rusalka (new)

Happy New Year, Blue! Lovely to see you commenting again :D

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 82 comments Wishing everyone a happy new year!!!

message 22: by Lilisa (new)

Leslie wrote: "Wishing everyone a happy new year!!!"

Welcome Leslie and happy new year to you! Glad to have you joining us - have fun on your trip around the world.

message 23: by Lilisa (new)

Blue wrote: "Just wanted to stop by and write a hello and Happy New Year. Blue"

Welcome Blue and the same to you - looking forward to having you travel with us!

message 24: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome Leslie! Lovely to have you join us :)

message 25: by Stelleri (new)

Stelleri | 40 comments Do we have a dedicated Antarctica list? I was just there, so I read a lot of interesting books that I could list.

message 26: by Lilisa (new)

Stelleri wrote: "Do we have a dedicated Antarctica list? I was just there, so I read a lot of interesting books that I could list."

Hi Stelleri - great to see you back! How exciting - how was the trip? Tell us a bit about it - got to live vicariously through you. We had a folder but It was waiting for you... I've created the thread -
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... - pop over there and recommend away.

message 27: by Stelleri (new)

Stelleri | 40 comments Beautiful! Thank you, and more soon.

message 28: by Rusalka (new)

Look forward to hearing about the trip too!

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Hello everyone! I'm excited to join your group. Last year I started branching out into female authors from around the world and I would like to step up my game this year. Some of my favorites were The Door by Magda Szabo and of course My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferante. Can't wait to peruse your recommendations!

message 30: by Lilisa (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Hello everyone! I'm excited to join your group. Last year I started branching out into female authors from around the world and I would like to step up my game this year. Some of my favorites were ..."

Hi Stephanie - welcome, great to have you travel with us around the world.. I enjoyed The Door; sadly, My Brilliant Friend, not so much. A few female authors from around the world I've enjoyed are Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nayomi Munaweera, Geraldine Brooks.

message 31: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome Stephanie! Look forward to seeing your discoveries :D

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all! I am Lisa A and joined here after noticing a GR friend belonged to the group. I am not much of an international traveler in real life but definitely enjoy my travels through literature. So far, most of my planned reading is in Europe but maybe that will change as the year progresses.

message 33: by Lilisa (new)

A warm welcome to you Lisa! Looking forward to having you travel with us, wherever it takes you - there's so much to see and do in Europe :-) - enjoy.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2018 07:59AM) (new)

Thanks, Lilisa. :-)

I should have added to my intro:
Not that I should play favorites with genres, but historical fiction is definite a reading preference. That should work out well for upcoming reading treks. Instead of just reading an HF book, it would be nice to slow down and do some extra research about the country and culture presented in the story.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Peach | 1 comments Hi everyone, I am a traveller and a reader. I love books that tell a story about the people, culture and traditions of a country that you wouldn't necessarily experience as a traveler. I recently read The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I'm excited to learn about other books from you all.

message 36: by Lilisa (new)

Hi Michelle a big welcome, you've come to the right spot then. I haven't read either one of the books you mentioned but Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood is on my to read list - a few folks here have read it. We enjoy sharing what we're reading - sounds like you do too - perfect!

message 37: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome Michelle! Look forward to seeing your reads as well!

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay | 6 comments Hello,
I love travel books. I am busy, so usually can't keep up with challenges and such, but I look forward to hearing what y'all say about the books you are reading.
Kay.

message 39: by Christelle (new)

Christelle | 4 comments Good morning, new to this group and to the entire concept of virtual book group discussion (hope I do it right!). I enjoy travelling and reading. Since I am a bilingual reader (French and English), my reviews will certainly be in either of these languages.

message 40: by Lilisa (new)

Kay wrote: "Hello,
I love travel books. I am busy, so usually can't keep up with challenges and such, but I look forward to hearing what y'all say about the books you are reading.
Kay."

Welcome Kay - great to have you here! We all travel at our own pace so no pressure at all. When you have time, share your travel thoughts and experiences with us. Cheers!

message 41: by Lilisa (new)

Christelle wrote: "Good morning, new to this group and to the entire concept of virtual book group discussion (hope I do it right!). I enjoy travelling and reading. Since I am a bilingual reader (French and English),..."

Hi Christelle - a big welcome to the group and virtual discussions - everything goes re: travel and reading - so no worries. Looking forward to your reviews - in either/both languages! I'm guessing my TBR (to be read) list might grow...welcome again!

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 04, 2018 08:39PM) (new)

Hi everyone! newbie here to the group and to the goodreads website.
Im from Australia and have a passion for travel, learning new languages and a good cup of tea!

I just love the idea of this group and can't wait to get started.

Happy Reading!! :)

message 43: by Rusalka (new)

Welcome LittleAussieBookOwl!

Sounds like you're in a great place with your loves of travel, languages, and reading (and we are not adverse to a cuppa either). What languages do you speak/dabble in?

Let us know if you have any questions, otherwise look forward to vicariously following your travels.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I am learning Sgaw Karen at the moment which is my fiances first language :) and then i would like to focus more on my Thai and Japanese.

Thankyou! I will let you know if i have any questions. Xx

message 45: by Rusalka (new)

LittleAussieBookOwl wrote: "I am learning Sgaw Karen at the moment which is my fiances first language :) and then i would like to focus more on my Thai and Japanese.

I had to look that language up, but lovely you're learning it! Is there much similarity between Sgaw Karen and Thai?

message 46: by Lilisa (new)

LittleAussieBookOwl wrote: "Hi everyone! newbie here to the group and to the goodreads website.
Im from Australia and have a passion for travel, learning new languages and a good cup of tea!

I just love the idea of this gr..."

Welcome - great to have you join us LittleAussieBookOwl! Good luck with learning new languages and happy traveling around the world with us! What are you currently reading?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Rusalka wrote: "LittleAussieBookOwl wrote: "I am learning Sgaw Karen at the moment which is my fiances first language :) and then i would like to focus more on my Thai and Japanese.

I had to look that language u..."

Not very many similarities, but i love a challenge! xx

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 10, 2018 08:14PM) (new)

Lilisa wrote: "LittleAussieBookOwl wrote: "Hi everyone! newbie here to the group and to the goodreads website.

I j..."

thank you so much! i'm currently in India :)
I'm thinking about adding the places i want to visit for the rest of 2018 to a thread so i will link all my books there :) xx

message 49: by Heather (last edited Aug 09, 2018 08:31PM) (new)

Heather Lilisa wrote: "Welcome and take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself! At Around the World we love to travel and experience new places or visit familiar haunts. Share about what you enjoy reading and why, wha..."

I'm new. But hope it is ok to read as many as I can (5) before the end of 2018. Is it ok that I join so late in the year?

message 50: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 15 comments Welcome Little Aussie Book Owl - I'm from Australia too, Qld. Welcome to you too, Heather. You can visit as many times as you like or whenever you can - we're always pleased to hear from you.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.