Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

2018 Challenges > BAD HISTORY( Jan 1- June30)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1202 comments Mod
There are a lot of things in our history that are great events, but on the flip side their is a lot that was the opposite and was what we will call bad history for this challenge. Since I am a big believer in learning from history this challenge centers around events in history that some would like to pretend didn't happen.

Challenge runs: From January to June.

What is the challenge: read books set during or having to do with events in history that reflect badly on people or countries, (for example Japanese Internment during WWII, )

I hope you find books that are both fiction and non-fiction but that choice is up to you.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

I read The Fences Between Us: The Diary of Piper Davis, Seattle, Washington, 1941 which centers around the Japanese Internment during WWII.

It isn't told from the perspective of the Japanese in the camps but from a girl who is friends with a large member of the Japanese population in her town and struggles with understanding what it happening and how it could happen.

message 3: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments I guess this qualifies: The Trial by Jen Bryant centers on the murder trial of Bruno Hauptmann, the German immigrant accused of the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh's baby.

It's also a book-in-verse written for middle grades. And it's good!

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Lea wrote: "I guess this qualifies: The Trial by Jen Bryant centers on the murder trial of Bruno Hauptmann, the German immigrant accused of the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh's baby...."

That is interesting, It isn't really the type of story I would think would be told in verse.

message 5: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Melissa wrote: "Lea wrote: "I guess this qualifies: The Trial by Jen Bryant centers on the murder trial of Bruno Hauptmann, the German immigrant accused of the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindb..."

I know what you mean, but it worked.

message 6: by Lea Ann (last edited Feb 17, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) | 622 comments Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave is a picture book about David Drake, a South Carolina slave. He created beautiful, glazed, stoneware jugs and inscribed many with original poetry. He is a figure pretty much lost to history but this book brings him back to life beautifully. The illustrations are amazing in this book!

message 7: by Melissa (new)

I am putting this book under this section, as I think it kind of qualifies.

The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War

This book tells the history of how Allen Pinkerton and others discovered and investigated a plot to assassinate President Lincoln as he went through Baltimore on his way to his inauguration.