Witcher Buddy Read discussion

Witcher Buddy Reading Info!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Brooks | 8 comments Mod
Hello all :D Lengthy post coming up, but hopefully it'll answer some questions for all of you.

The Last Wish is the first book in the Witcher series, even though Blood of Elves is the one that--on the American editions--has a 1 on the side. Ignore that! The Last Wish is first :)

Also, the Last Wish is a series of short stories, and they're NOT in chronological order. They go back and forth between events in Geralt's past, and present day (all the present day chunks are titled Voice of Reason). Just a heads up in case you're super confused in the beginning :D

As far as not giving away spoilers but still chatting--I'm going to have a rough schedule of when I read what. I'm going to chat on Wednesdays with all the groups, but feel free to chat in between each Wednesday :) Here's how I'm breaking up the reading:

-Voice of Reason to the start of Grain of Truth. Pages 1-44 by Jan 3rd
-Grain of Truth to the start of Voice of Reason on page 130 by Jan 10th
-Voice of Reason to the start of The Edge of the World on page 188 by Jan 17th
-The Edge of the World to the start of The Last Wish on page 245 by Jan 24th
-The Last Wish through the end of the book (page 320) by Jan 31st
Sorry if any of the page numbers are different in your editions!

Feel free to read ahead of this schedule, just try not to post about any of the things beyond the schedule for people that want to stick to it. That way no one gets spoiled! :)

Lastly, for those of you that are interested in listening to the audio books, here's a link to them: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

If you don't have your book by the first, don't worry about it! Feel free to jump on board whenever you're ready.

Happy reading everyone! Yay for Witcher :D

message 2: by rich_reads_ (new)

rich_reads_ | 6 comments So excited to get into these books! Been on my tbr a while!

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 6 comments Will you be creating a thread for each book? That would make it easier for spoilers, which can be (view spoiler). :-)

message 4: by Corey (last edited Dec 31, 2017 04:19PM) (new)

Corey | 1 comments All the books are amazingly awesome, and ciri/ destiny books, following Geralt and ciri fit together the workings of Destiny so beautifully. This series converted me from a gamer to an avid reader.

message 5: by Riakm (new)

Riakm | 1 comments Great! I am really excited to go through the series.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (beautifullybookishbethany) | 3 comments Perfect! I was actually wondering when to read what. :-) Can't wait!

message 7: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Fantasy sometimes scares me, but I'm trying to get more into the genre , so hopefully I'll be able to follow along. I'm excited to start!

message 8: by Khaled (new)

Khaled | 1 comments I'm actually reading this one for the second time. Can't wait to get started!

message 9: by Timibibi (new)

Timibibi (seriousbookishnonsense) | 5 comments Really excited about starting, this was such a good idea :)
My only problem is, that my edition is different and the page numbers are not at all like the ones listed. I tried to match the chapters to the dates, can someone with the same edition confirm this for me? I don't want to accidentally spoil something ( or have something spoiled :D ) in the discussions, because I read too far ahead.

-Voice of Reason I, The Witcher, Voice of Reason II by Jan 3rd
-Grain of Truth, Voice of Reason III, The Lesser Evil by Jan 10th
-Voice of Reason IV, A Question of Price, Voice of Reason V by Jan 17th
-The Edge of the World, Voice of Reason VI by Jan 24th
-The Last Wish, Voice of Reason VII by Jan 31st

message 10: by 5 Star Reader (new)

5 Star Reader | 1 comments can't wait! starting it tonight!

message 11: by Sally (new)

Sally Yay, excited. Already read the first part and liking it so far!

message 12: by Dillon (new)

Dillon | 2 comments Jen wrote: "Will you be creating a thread for each book? That would make it easier for spoilers, which can be [spoilers removed]. :-)"

I think that's a great idea!

message 13: by Josh (new)

Josh | 8 comments Hey all! I have just joined Goodreads, so please bare with me as I get to grips with it :). I'm also active on the FB group and am looking forward to the discussions!

message 14: by Sydneroo (new)

Sydneroo (sydneychaptersreads) | 1 comments I am so excited for this group buddy read! I was a little confused about where to start so this is awesome and much appreciated.

message 15: by Elliot (new)

Josh wrote: "Hey all! I have just joined Goodreads, so please bare with me as I get to grips with it :). I'm also active on the FB group and am looking forward to the discussions!"

No worries! I'm not very good with goodreads myself, so I'll likely be relying on other people to help :D

message 16: by Elliot (new)

Timibibi wrote: "Really excited about starting, this was such a good idea :)
My only problem is, that my edition is different and the page numbers are not at all like the ones listed. I tried to match the chapters ..."

Let me check!

message 17: by Elliot (new)

Timibibi wrote: "Really excited about starting, this was such a good idea :)
My only problem is, that my edition is different and the page numbers are not at all like the ones listed. I tried to match the chapters ..."

I believe that's correct :)

message 18: by Timibibi (new)

Timibibi (seriousbookishnonsense) | 5 comments Thank you :)

message 19: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. (agent0017) | 6 comments Thanks so much for putting this read-a-long together.
I just started reading and I'm already excited about where this is going.

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie S. | 4 comments I couldn't read the pages for this wednesday, but I'll catch up next week. I've already read the firt one, but I am excited to reread it

message 21: by Michaela (new)

Michaela York | 1 comments Are we going to be reading Sword of Destiny after this before starting Blood of Elves?

message 22: by Marie (new)

Marie S. | 4 comments Michaela wrote: "Are we going to be reading Sword of Destiny after this before starting Blood of Elves?"Yes we will!

message 23: by Josh (new)

Josh | 8 comments Elliot wrote: "Hello all :D Lengthy post coming up, but hopefully it'll answer some questions for all of you.

The Last Wish is the first book in the Witcher series, even though Blood of Elves is the one that--on..."

Hey Elliot!

I was wondering if after each allotted reading we do that you could make a new thread on here like you did for last week (The first reading chunk chat). So if we would like to chat specifically about the third reading chunk, for example, the threads are all in separate areas?

Cheers :D

message 24: by Reynar (last edited Feb 26, 2018 04:10AM) (new)

Reynar Swan (mysticabooks) | 4 comments Hi, all. New to the group. Excited to be a part of said group. :)

I'm not sure if this will help, but I started on the Witcher series last month, and this is the order which was given me (currently on Baptism of Fire):

The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of the Swallow
Lady of the Lake

That's going by the chronological order of events rather than the order in which the books were published.

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Hey Reynar, the short story collections are actually not chronological. The Voice of Reason stories in The Last Wish are all "present day" and everything else jumps around the timeline.

That being said, you do have them in the right reading order. And glad you're liking the series. :)

message 26: by Reynar (last edited Feb 26, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

Reynar Swan (mysticabooks) | 4 comments Nicole wrote: "Hey Reynar, the short story collections are actually not chronological. The Voice of Reason stories in The Last Wish are all "present day" and everything else jumps around the timeline.

That being..."

Yep, true re the entries of the short story collections. If only those were easier parsed out between the novels in regards to the timeline. I think, though, a reader can get away with reading The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny first without too much getting spoiled. Then again, might be best to save the short story collections for last. Interesting conundrum actually, if not a bit frustrating.