Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Books to look forward to in 2018?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Dec 31, 2017 10:32AM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments I've got a few on my list, but wondering if anybody knows anything about some of the other buzz worthy books out there.

I'm excited about and have ARC's of:

The Female Persuasion
Noir: A Novel
The Perfect Nanny

Also looking forward to:

Winter
The Great Alone
Transcription (september!)

Already read and liked:

The Immortalists

Piqued my interest:

Tangerine
Red Clocks (not sure I can do this one right now, too topical)
I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes With Death

Here are some lists:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...

https://bookriot.com/2017/11/27/books...

message 2: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments In other news, I just cleaned out my "want to read" list. Adding and subtracting books i went from 144 to 134, which is pretty good since I added a quite a few 2018 books. But I realized that I was doing this (is this going to be about missing Shelfari? Yes, yes, it is) that I'm not reading my "old" books anymore because they aren't popular, and if they aren't popular they don't show up on the tags lists. I really wish there was a better way to find the tags with books on our shelves. :(

I feel like I should have a challenge this year for every newish book I read, I need to find something old from the bottom of my shelf.

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments Do you keep your shelf on LibraryThing, as well, Nicole? I still tag with my initials (over there) and my tbr is more up to date over there than here because I can do what they call a "tagmash" to combine tags to find what books have both (or multiple tags).

message 4: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments No, I don't. I haven't been there in ages.

message 5: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 491 comments The Perfect Nanny and Red Clocks sound good to me. I think I will check them out when they come out. They would both fit another challenge, so that's a plus too.

message 6: by Anita (last edited Dec 31, 2017 11:57AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Great topic to which annoyingly I have nothing to add . . .

Other than I'm impressed that your TBR is 134. Mine is 512, lol. Not good. And I went through it recently, and I'm still pretty interested in most of the titles.

I look forward to checking out the links you've shared and the books you are exited about though!

Hope others who are more knowledgeable about what is up and coming will chime in.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8511 comments When I’m not on my phone, I actually have a list of 20 or so books that I shortlisted and absolutely want to read in 2018. But I wanted to say about having The huge TBR’s On Goodreads, they were two advantages to leaving some of them long. When the monthly tags come out, I can easily see what fits from the list. There’s almost always something I wouldn’t have guessed that’s a total match. The other advantage, is that I get entered into a tremendous number of giveaways, some of which I Occasionally win. The giveaway program is amongst my favorite perks of the move To Goodreads. Sometimes I’ll have a dearth of a number of months, and I just received three. Having a very large TBR get you to be able to enter these more frequently. I’m at a little over 400. But when I hear a book it’s really not worth it or gets a huge pan, I go in and make sure it gets out of there.

message 8: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments Anita wrote: "Great topic to which annoyingly I have nothing to add . . .

Other than I'm impressed that your TBR is 134. Mine is 512, lol. Not good. And I went through it recently, and I'm still pretty interest..."

Mine is in the high 500s. :-)

message 9: by Booknblues (last edited Dec 31, 2017 01:34PM) (new)

Booknblues | 5743 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I've got a few on my list, but wondering if anybody knows anything about some of the other buzz worthy books out there.

The Female Persuasion
..."

Thanks for the lists. I love starting out the new year with a newly released and great read. Hopefully I will spot one.

I have a few preorders which I hope will be good:
Census by Jesse Ball

A Kind of Mirraculas Paradise: A True Story About Schizophrenia by Sandra Allen

A Taste for Vengeance: A Bruno, Chief of Police novel (Bruno, Chief of Police Series)
Martin Walker ( a favorite mystery series of mine)

Fire Dance by Ilana C. Myer (She is a long-time internet friend and this is her second book.

From the lists that you posted, I am interested in the following:
The Line Becomes A River byFrancisco Cantú

An American Marriageby Tayari Jones

A State of Freedom by Neel Mukherjee

When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir byPatrisse Khan-Cullors

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 31, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

I have an ARC for The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce that I need to start reading. Also have preordered the paperback version of Exit West (technically 2017) using a recent $5 discount for books orders over $15. Otherwise, I usually lag behind in picking up recently published books.

Thanks for posting the lists, Nicole. It was interesting how I was drawn to the Huffington Post list over the BookRiot list, I think mainly due to the inclusion of bookcover images.

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I can’t wait for Transcription!!

message 12: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Yeah, I didn't much care for the Book Riot List.

Susie, I'm guessing Transcription may come out for you before us.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I’ll be posting a list of 2018 books on the blog tomorrow. It has the major hyped literary fiction coming out in the first half of the year.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8511 comments OK - this is my list of what I want to get to, and I'm pretty sure a number of them haven't even been released yet. Maybe at least five of them. But here's my shortlist for things I want to read in 2018. Many of them are 2017's that I somehow didn't get to yet.

*If the Creek Don't Rise
Caspian Rain
Girl in the Tower
We were the Lucky Ones
*Beartown
Karolina's Twins
The Pearl Sister
The Opposite of Fate - Amy Tan
*Elinor Oliphant
The Winter Palace
The Rose of Fire
The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem
The Great Alone
From Sand and Ash
The hate U give
Columns of Fire
Three Daughters of Eve
The Other Queen
The Last Tudor
The keeper of lost things
The Ghostwriter
Little fires everywhere?
The cooking gene
Strange the dreamer
The girls in the picture

message 15: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Jen, I’m looking forward to reading your list. Nicole, yes, we normally get UK releases here before the US. I’ll be able to rave about how great it is first, I’m sure of it!

message 16: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 491 comments Ugh, I made the mistake of reading a couple of the lists and added 5 more books to the wish list. LOL!

message 18: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5743 comments Jen wrote: "Here's our list:

https://thereadersroom.org/2018/01/01..."

Thanks, I love these lists. The Immortalists sounds promising.

message 19: by Nicole R (last edited Jan 01, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments I love prepping for new releases! Here are the upcoming ones that I am looking forward to:

The Immortalists (January)
The Female Persuasion (April)
The Great Alone (February)
Transcription (September. Didn't know about this one! Thanks Nicole D!)
The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist: A True Story of Injustice in the American South (February)
The Tattooist of Auschwitz (January)
Hurricane Season (April. Based solely on the cover)
The Summer Wives (July. But if Beatriz Williams doesn't start wowing me again I may throw in the towel on her books)
Shelter in Place (May. Love me some NORA!)
I'll Be Your Blue Sky (March)
Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of the One #2) (November. More NORA!)

message 20: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments Nicole R wrote: "I love prepping for new releases! Here are the upcoming ones that I am looking forward to: ..."

Drat you, Nicole - my TBR is expanding as fast as the universe!

message 21: by Ladyslott (last edited Jan 01, 2018 06:54PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I pretty much play it by ear - 70% of my books come from the library so it depends on what's available. I do have several I want to get to, I'm on the Overdrive library waitlist for all of these, some coming in sooner than later, some are 2017, others 2018:

The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah
The Girls in the Picture - Melanie Benjamin
The Last Mrs. Parrish - Liv Constantine
Force of Nature - Jane Harper (sequel to The Dry)
The Paris Secret - Karen Swan
Unqualified - Anna Faris
Magpie Murders - Anthony Horowitz
Bonfire - Krysten Ritter
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann
The Secret Wife -Gill Paul

message 22: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Since I have a TBR a mile long, I don't pay that much attention to new releases, unless it's a trilogy or series that I'm following. My most anticipated books came out in last year to finish up a couple of trilogies.

I am looking forward to reading:
The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky to complete that trilogy.

Others from 2017:
The Alice Network
A Gentleman in Moscow
The Hate U Give (been on hold forever!)
The Bear and the Nightingale
The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
Waking Gods

To be released (or just):
King Zeno
Carnegie's Maid
The Music Shop
The Immortalists

It also seems like a few of my fav others are due for some books.
Anthony Marra
Sharon Kay Penman

message 23: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 836 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I pretty much play it by ear - 70% of my books come from the library so it depends on what's available. I do have several I want to get to, I'm on the Overdrive library waitlist for all of these, s..."

Killers of the Flower Moon looks good. My husband is reading it right now. I hope to read it this year too.

message 24: by Joni (new)

Joni | 612 comments Anything on my TBR....I am looking to clear it as much as possible.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8511 comments JoLene, I think you will love the Alice Network!

message 26: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Linda, I saw that The Last Mrs. Parrish is Reese Witherspoon’s latest pick, so that caught my eye too.

Also, I am listening to Unqualified now, should be done by the end of the week!

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5793 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I pretty much play it by ear - 70% of my books come from the library so it depends on what's available. I do have several I want to get to, I'm on the Overdrive library waitlist for all of these, s..."

I just started listening to Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI yesterday. Really good so far (up to about midpoint of chapter two).

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I've got a few on my list, but wondering if anybody knows anything about some of the other buzz worthy books out there.

The Female Persuasion
..."

You are killing my TBR with these lists . . .omg, I want to read so many. Sigh.

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Nicole D. wrote: "Yeah, I didn't much care for the Book Riot List.

Susie, I'm guessing Transcription may come out for you before us."

Agree . . .but the HuffPost one just killed my TBR . . .I think I just added 10 books - - and I was being discerning.

message 30: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6991 comments I have no firm plans or lists at this point, and am not sure if I will yet or not. I am Reorganizing my house, which will be a long, slow process as I can only go so long before I have to quit. I have never, ever lived so long in one house before (11 years this spring) and I can't stand all the stuff we have collected even though I donate, etc. Plus many things are going on this winter and spring, etc.

BUT some of you have books I have been interested in on your lists, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have to say about them.

message 31: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Ugh, I finally read through the links you posted and added like 20 books to my TBR. But....BARBARA KINGSOLVER HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT?!?!

I like her books about science and nature better than her other ones, but I will still probably read this one.

message 32: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Crap. There is a new Sandra Brown romantic suspense coming out in August as well.....I just added that to my shelf as well.

This thread is killing my TBR

message 33: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I just added another zillion books to my list! Damn you Huffpost! Some of them sound very exciting. I am always hoping that I will find the next A Little Life, a book that completely overtakes me. I hope it’s one of the ones I just added!

message 34: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Nicole R wrote: "Ugh, I finally read through the links you posted and added like 20 books to my TBR. But....BARBARA KINGSOLVER HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT?!?!

I like her books about science and nature better than he..."

It figures. I'm just now reading her last one for the science tag. It's the first week of 2018 and I'm feeling behind already. Arrrrgh!

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments After looking at the HuffPo list, I immediately added Heart Berries and I Am I Am I Am to my TV. The Immortalists was already there.

message 36: by Ladyslott (last edited Jan 04, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "Linda, I saw that The Last Mrs. Parrish is Reese Witherspoon’s latest pick, so that caught my eye too.

Also, I am listening to Unqualified now, should be done by the end of the week!"

Yeah -I follow her Hello Sunshine Book Club on Instagram and I read several of last year's books without knowing they were her picks so I decided to follow her picks.

Haven't got a lot of reading in, between my daughter visiting from California for ten days and me having another medical issue with my elbow over the past month and now my packing to go to Florida on Saturday; if the Winter Cyclone gives up by then. I will probably read Unqualified on the plane - it's not too deep so it should be an easy read.

I just went over the Top Ten List and will be posting it shortly.

message 37: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I just went over the Top Ten List and will be posting it shortly. ."

YYEESSS! I love the list!

message 38: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5743 comments Nicole R wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "I just went over the Top Ten List and will be posting it shortly. ."

YYEESSS! I love the list!"

Ditto!

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Love getting all the book lust over new books out now and in the ARC phase. I've decided to avoid all new authors on Netgalley until GR friends pioneer them first. Thus, because of great GR reviews I signed up for The Night Trade. Another sure bet I commited to is Collected Works of Bruno Schulz, a Polish fantasist from mid-20th century. A fantasy novella from a favorite author, Bujold, is another notable on my Netgalley slte.

I drifted into a big dose of Irish and Russian lit this year and got a hit of 2 in a Turkish lit shelf supplemented by a massive history of Istanbul over 3000 years. So for 2018, I will pursue more Turkish writings, started with an old Kurdish claasic recommended by a GR native, Memed, My Hawk. A side read will by a fat history of the WW1 campaign Gallipoli.

Similarly, I will test the waters of Polish lit with the Schulz just noted and a classic I bought on GR native advice, Stone Upon Stone. A Isaac Singer or two will be part of this foray.

I will continue to keep my hand in on Native American lit, starting with Future Home of the Living God (favored author Erdrich) and a history, Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History.

For history reads, in addition to oned mentioned, I am hungry for Akinson's An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 and one recommended by an Indian GR friend, India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy.

But my biggest theme will by East Asia and Latin American writings. Details subect to recommendations. I am also on the verge of serious delving into writings about the Ancient World--Greece and Rome. Reading The Iliad now by slowed down audiobook and will likely join a new groups to read a lauded new translation of The Odyssey. In parallel historical novels I am eager to pursue include Memoirs of Hadrian, Count Belisarius, Creation, Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome, Ilium (a sci fi take), and Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae. All of these already sit on my shelf, each day begging to be read.

Finally, I feel pregnant with a self Christmas present of the last 4 volumes of The Expanse space opera series (featured in a great cable TV series) and the final glorius volume of Jemisen's Hugo Award winning fantasy series, The Stone Sky.

message 40: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5743 comments With some help from my friend, Storyheart, I found this list and promptly put a few on my wishlist and preordered Kevin Powers who wrote The Yellow Birds, new book A Shout in the Ruins.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

I don't think it has been posted here, but I could have missed it.

message 41: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Booknblues wrote: "With some help from my friend, Storyheart, I found this list and promptly put a few on my wishlist and preordered Kevin Powers who wrote The Yellow Birds, new book [book:A Shout in the Ruins|362043..."

Great list! AM Homes has a new book coming out.