Read Scotland 2018 discussion

William Wallace: 11-15 Books > Fiona’s List

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Moving up a level this year - likely to have more free time to read

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Excellent Fiona, good luck!

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments First book finished - The Disappearance of Adele Bedeaubu Graeme Macrae Burnet. Thoroughly enjoyed.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Fiona wrote: "First book finished - The Disappearance of Adele Bedeaubu Graeme Macrae Burnet. Thoroughly enjoyed."

Oh good to know, that's on my want to buy list, too.

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Second Book finished - Under a Pole Star by Stef Penney. Have given the book four stars as it kept me reading on although it felt long. Do think it could have been shortened

Author is Scottish and book starts in Dundee with the Captain of a whaling ship and his daughter - the main character.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Third book finished.

A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee. Author raised in West of Scotland Set in Calcutta - Dundee references again - jute mills managed by Dundonian

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Fiona wrote: "Third book finished.

A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee. Author raised in West of Scotland Set in Calcutta - Dundee references again - jute mills managed by Dundonian"

What did you think of it? I tried to read that last year and just could not like it.

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Melanie wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Third book finished.

A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee. Author raised in West of Scotland Set in Calcutta - Dundee references again - jute mills managed by Dundonian"

What did you thin..."

7/10 from me. Enjoyed the description and think the two main characters will grow in the forthcoming series but there were a few areas where there some modern day speak crept in. Think you can tell it’s his first book. Will give his next book a go.

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Fourth Book completed.

The Coffin Road by Peter May. Thoroughly enjoyed - the setting of Luskentyre and the Flanagan Isles was fabulous

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Fiona wrote: "Fourth Book completed.

The Coffin Road by Peter May. Thoroughly enjoyed - the setting of Luskentyre and the Flanagan Isles was fabulous"

I enjoyed this one too :) I was particularly fascinated by the ghostly story of the Flanagan lighthouse keepers - what happened to them?!

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Ellen wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Fourth Book completed.

The Coffin Road by Peter May. Thoroughly enjoyed - the setting of Luskentyre and the Flanagan Isles was fabulous"

I enjoyed this one too :) I was particularly..."

Sorry - that should be Flannan Isles (auto-correct). It’s a fascinating story - think there was a recent film

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Haha - I haven’t got the book anymore to reference, ruddy autocorrect!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Fiona wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Fourth Book completed.

I enjoyed this one too :) I wa..."

There is a film coming out shortly. It's called "Keepers" and has Gerard Butler and Peter Mullan as 2 of the keepers. A lot of the filming was done around the Mull of Galloway last year.

message 14: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Susan wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Fourth Book completed.

I enjoyed this o..."

Thank you for info - thought I’d missed the film - will look out for it

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Susan wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Fiona wrote: "Fourth Book completed.

I enjoyed this o..."

Ooh, will keep an eye out for that! :)

message 16: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Fifth book completed.

Sal by Mick Kitson. Debut novel and predominantly set in the Galloway Forests. Getting lots of good press/reviews here. 4/5 from me

message 17: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Sixth book completed. Glasgow Kiss by Alex Gray. Have enjoyed all the DI William Lorimer books that I have read so far. Unfortunately I’ve read them out of order but still very enjoyable detective series

message 18: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Seventh book completed. Follow the Dead by Lin Anderson

message 19: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Eighth book completed — Eleanor Oliphant - see Group Read

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Ninth and tenth completed.

Faultlines by Doug Johnston : crime book set in Edinburgh but a different Edinburgh where there is lots of volcanic activity and a new volcanic island in the Forth where the body is found. Thoroughly enjoyed this one and will now look to try some of the authors other books.

The Long Drop by Denise Mina - this was a book club read and unfortunately not one I enjoyed. It’s set in Glasgow in the late 1950s and based on Peter Manuel / William Watt interaction. Gruesome subject but I struggle with quite intimate fiction based on true events.

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Fiona wrote: "Ninth and tenth completed.

Faultlines by Doug Johnston : crime book set in Edinburgh but a different Edinburgh where there is lots of volcanic activity and a new volcanic island in the Forth where..."

Volcanic Edinburgh? I’m intrigued!!!

message 22: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Eleventh book completed.

The Girls of slender means by Muriel Spark - my first M Spark book

message 23: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Twelfth book completed - the excellent ‘The Gathering Dark’ by James Oswald

message 24: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Few months still to go and have just finished my thirteenth book

Entry Island by Peter May - set between current day Canada and the highland clearances. Thoroughly enjoyed.

message 25: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Fourteenth Book completed. The Polish Detective by Hania Allen. Lucky to be at Book Group in Perth to hear Hania speak about the journey to publication.

message 26: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments And finally number 15 (although that will definitely creep up) - Bloody Scotland 2017 short stories.

message 27: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Number 16 Miss Blaine’s Prefect and the Golden Samovar by Olga Wojtas. Quirky book - comedy and crime combined with a bit of time travel back to 19th century Russia. Background tribute to Muriel Spark and the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

message 28: by Ellen (new)

Ooh, that book sounds good! It’s weird, but I love slightly comical murders :)

Also, just noticed you’ve achieved your reading goal here - well done, Fiona!

message 29: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Not sure how to move into next level so will keep posting here. Book number 17 Splinter the Silence by Val McDermid. Not read Carole Jordan / Tony Hill for a while - enjoyed as piece of light reading and will need to go back to read those in the series that I’ve missed

message 30: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Book number 18 - All the Hidden Truths by Claire Askew. Was pleased to hear Claire read a short extract at Bloody Scotland and have signed copy of the book. Grisly subject but tackled from a different angle. Enjoyed 4/5.

message 31: by Ellen (new)

Fiona wrote: "Book number 18 - All the Hidden Truths by Claire Askew. Was pleased to hear Claire read a short extract at Bloody Scotland and have signed copy of the book. Grisly subject but tackled from a differ..."

Fiona wrote: "Not sure how to move into next level so will keep posting here. Book number 17 Splinter the Silence by Val McDermid. Not read Carole Jordan / Tony Hill for a while - enjoyed as piece of light readi..."

Last year I stuck with my original thread and just kept adding books, so posting here is fine. I really like the look of All the Hidden Truths, not come across that author...

I love a signed book! Glad you enjoyed her reading :) I admire people who can read books to an audience, I just sound like emotionless cardboard and am far too quiet!

message 32: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 24 comments Book Number Nineteen - The Quaker by Liam McIlvaney.

I can see why this crime thriller won the Bloody Scotland Award - gritty crime novel set in 60s Glasgow.