The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

2018 Reading Challenges > Alondra's "Books I Own" Challenge

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alondra (last edited Nov 09, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

Alondra Miller Not sure how I want to approach this, but think I really need to catch up on Agatha Christie, The Cat Who.... series, Inspector Rebus, etc. So, I believe that is the way I will go.

Inspector Rebus - COMPLETED

The Black Book
Mortal Causes
Let It Bleed

Department Q

The Purity of Vengeance
The Marco Effect
The Hanging Girl

Harry Hole - COMPLETED

Cockroaches 4 Stars
The Redbreast 4.5 Stars
Nemesis 4 Stars

The Cat Who...

The Cat Who Saw Red
The Cat Who Played Brahms
The Cat Who Played Post Office

Currently Reading:

message 2: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
There are so many excellent mystery series to work on.. Good luck.

message 3: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "There are so many excellent mystery series to work on.. Good luck."

Thanks, Bill. There are so many, that I cannot keep up; but I am trying.

message 4: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments There is some excellent reading on your list. Very much the couch, coffee and chocolate or grapes variety. Lucky you.

message 5: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Gisela wrote: "There is some excellent reading on your list. Very much the couch, coffee and chocolate or grapes variety. Lucky you."

I think so too, and yet they were completely ignored last year. Ugh!

Thanks for reminding me of their comfort, though. :)

message 6: by Alondra (last edited Jan 14, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Alondra Miller Completed: The Cat Who Saw Red

3 Stars

Another cozy mystery with our favorite cats, and Qwilleran, of course. Qwill and felines move to an new apartment full of eccentrics and artists (of one sort or another); and happens upon a mystery. Again.

He meets an old flame, and now new neighbor (married), that settles him into this new place. She quickly "disappears" with his money and maybe, his heart. As he starts to question her disappearance, another neighbor disappears, and the cats are in jeopardy. Is this part of the old curse of this off-kilter abode, full of death, or is there really something more sinister going on?? Of course, Koko or Yum-Yum, save the day and all is right with the world. It does make you wonder about living in a place with such a sordid history.

It took me a too long to read this short book; but it was still cute and quirky.

message 7: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
I like this series too. Nice, quirky, funny, cozy mysteries. Glad you enjoyed.

message 8: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "I like this series too. Nice, quirky, funny, cozy mysteries. Glad you enjoyed."

Yes, it is consistently cozy. Nothing too serious, and I love Qwillerans character. Koko & YumYum aren't too shabby either. :)

message 9: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Completed: Bangkok 8

Bangkok 8 (Sonchai Jitpleecheep #1) by John Burdett

4 Stars

If you are looking for traditional mystery, then you've come to the wrong book.

If you want an original take on the mystery genre, with some mild thrills, Thai attitudes on sex/sexuality, and Buddhism that is sewn within the plot like silk; then this is definitely the right book.

Sonchai Jitpleecheep is our honest Thai cop, on the hunt for his partners killer. He is thrust deep into a known cover-up and conspiracy of an old murder, unknown to him. He is vulnerable, flawed, and yet has a strong composition as a human being, that you can't help root for him. This almost feels like world-building for the rest of the series, it's that good.

The ending caused the loss of 1/2 star. I won't even hint at what happened.

Recommended. :)

message 10: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Glad you liked it too, Alondra.

message 11: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "Glad you liked it too, Alondra."

Yes. I put the series on my TBR; so all I need to do now is order the next book. :)

message 12: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Completed: Dark Echoes of the Past

Disclaimer: Even though this is not on my challenge; the book is a really good read. Classic Noir

**Won through Goodreads Giveaways!!**

4 Stars (review to follow)

This reads like classic noir from the 50s. Tough, Hard-nosed detective, on the case after a damsel in distress walks in with a tale of murder. The background of this murder is Chile about 30 years after the Pinochet regime. A victim looking for justice, is murdered. Why?? Robbery gone wrong or something more sinister??

The tale that the author weaves is full of conspiracy, torture, lies upon lies, and in the end some resolution. Not as neat as you want, but realistic.

The history lesson given, the characters and sub-plots, make this book work. No huge twists, chase scenes or innuendo. Just a simple tale of murder.

Highly recommended

message 13: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Completed: Faceless Killers

Faceless Killers (Wallander, #1) by Henning Mankell

4 Stars

There is something about the writers in this region of the world. They know how to create an atmosphere or a feeling; maybe it is just the cold. Whatever it is, it works.

Faceless Killers is the first in the Kurt Wallander; Police Inspector; series. Wallander is a recent divorce' and is quite unhappy about it. He has an ailing father, estranged sister and a daughter who has dismissed him. He has some self-destructive tendencies but they do not get in the way of the investigation...much. He is a dour old sod, but a likable one. He seeks out justice tirelessly with much coffee and a ragtag bunch of detectives with their own issues. This is not a quick t.v. detective series, where everything is solved within 48 hours. There are many stops and starts to this mystery. No easy answers and personal drama for Wallander and his crew. Once the crime is solved, Wallander is still not completely satisfied. See, the violence of the crimes has brought in a new era of crime. A new way of crime.

"We're living in the age of the noose," he thought. "Fear will be on the rise."

His work is only beginning.

btw; even though this was not on my list of mysteries to read, I had to add it. Great mystery and cannot wait for the next.

message 14: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
I've enjoyed the series, up to now and both of the TV series. I prefer the original Swedish series.

message 15: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "I've enjoyed the series, up to now and both of the TV series. I prefer the original Swedish series."

I've heard folks are enjoying it on TV. I don't watch TV like I used to. May just catch it on Netflix and binge watch.. LOL

message 16: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Alondra wrote: "Bill wrote: "I've enjoyed the series, up to now and both of the TV series. I prefer the original Swedish series."

I've heard folks are enjoying it on TV. I don't watch TV like I used to. May just ..."

If you do, find the Swedish original show first. It's worth struggling with the sub-titles. It just makes you focus more... :)

message 17: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "If you do, find the Swedish original show first. It's worth struggling with the sub-titles. It just makes you focus more... :) ..."

Okay; thanks for the tip, Bill. :D

message 18: by Alondra (last edited Apr 09, 2018 05:05PM) (new)

Alondra Miller Completed: Cockroaches

Cockroaches (Harry Hole, #2) by Jo Nesbø

4 Stars

I have not written a review yet. Not sure what to write; only that I actually enjoyed book 2. I was a little apprehensive going into this, due to poor reviews of the series prior to book 3 (The Redbreast).

Harry is sent, yet again, out of country, to Thailand. He is on the hunt for a killer of the ambassador, but under a veil of secrecy due to sensitive information on the victim and of course; politics.

Harry has a few bumps along the way, but he did not irk me as much as he did in the first book. You may be able to start with this book, if wanting to start the series.

On to the next.

message 19: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Alondra wrote: "Completed: Cockroaches

Cockroaches (Harry Hole, #2) by Jo Nesbø

4 Stars

I have not written a review yet. Not sure what to write; only that I actually enjoyed book 2. I was a little appre..."

I enjoyed this too.

message 20: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller The Black Book

The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5) by Ian Rankin

4 Stars

In the ongoing saga that is John Rebus's life; he must contend with a 5 year old murder, his ex-con brother returning to town, having a break-up with his girl, and trying to head an undercover sting.... oh yeah, a child molester is on parole and living across the street from a primary school.

Aahhhh, a day in the life of John Rebus.

Things wrap up nicely, but not neatly. There is always a line to be crossed or a cliff edge to step to with Rebus. Still loving this series.

message 21: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller The Redbreast

The Redbreast (Harry Hole) by Jo Nesbø

4.5 Stars

Now, this right here! This was a great story.

Treachery, treason, plot twists and plenty of murder.

message 22: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Two excellent stories.

message 23: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "Two excellent stories."

Agreed. I really enjoyed them, Bill. Rebus was your initial recommendation anyway. :)

message 24: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Alondra wrote: "Bill wrote: "Two excellent stories."

Agreed. I really enjoyed them, Bill. Rebus was your initial recommendation anyway. :)"

Yay!!

message 25: by Alondra (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Alondra Miller Completed: Nemesis

Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4) by Jo Nesbø

4 Stars

Greatness, as usual. Even with my frustration at Harry's dumb*** decisions; then you get some redemption once he figures things out, but it is still irritating as hell. Ugh, I love him still, though. Not sure what it is about Harry's.... Harry Hole, Harry Bosch, Harry Dresden and even Harry Potter. None are the best at what they do, but certainly the most creative and interesting.

Harry is knee deep in the bulls**t on this one. An ex(current) lover is found dead by supposed suicide. Then there is suspicion that she was murdered, and just guess who was last seen with her?? Yep, Harry. Old, alcoholic, stumbling and bumbling, Harry. That is not even the half of it. We also have bank robberies, int'l ties and more murder. We also cannot forget about Ellen. So much, and yet it all ties in together. This is such a mess, but the author pulls it off.

Just when you think 'The Prince' can't get any more disgusting, he does. Creepy, murderous, narcissistic b*****d.

message 26: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Alondra wrote: "Completed: Nemesis

Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4) by Jo Nesbø

4 Stars

Greatness, as usual. Even with my frustration at Harry's dumb*** decisions; then you get some redemption once he figures t..."

I enjoyed it as well.I have to read another soon.

message 27: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Bill wrote: "I enjoyed it as well.I have to read another soon. ..."

Definitely. He is actually turning into one of my favorite characters. I am hoping for growth from this character, not more idiocy. In some ways, he reminds me of Harry Bosch. Their personal issues cloud their judgment and they make poor decisions but are brilliant detectives. Hmmmm