Play Book Tag discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
December 2017: Social Issues > To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee - 4.5*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments (I think this book was eligible for like half the monthly tags this year, but it was never available at the library until I managed to get it in December... and it was good for the tag again!

4.5 stars

I don’t often find classics are totally worth all the hype there is around them–either because I go in with my expectations much too high, or because I read it because it’s a classic even though I know from the start it’s not my type of book and story–, but this one was. I was totally charmed from the beginning to the end, and the ending totally blew me away, it was so sweet!

I took off a tiny half star just because there were little bits of the story that seemed a bit “extra,” in the sense that they could have easily been removed. But the whole thing was so good I was never actually bored.

Funny anecdote, my mom didn’t like this book. One of her reasons was their weird names. Later that night I learned that my great-great-grandfather’s name was Napoleon Tessier-Laplante. I turned to her and went, “really, and you think Scout Finch is weird?”

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Love the story about your g g grandfather. And I think it's an awesome name.

Glad you loved the book. one of my favorites. I recommend reading the Watchman which is an earlier draft of To Kill A Mockingbird and compare them. See what the story might have been.

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments Oh cool, I wasn't sure what Watchman was in relation to Mockingbird, I'll definitely check it out someday ^^

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments It reads like a sequel but it was the original idea

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments Just to be clear, the title of Lee's other book is Go Set a Watchman

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Oops sooty. misremembered.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8849 comments I reread this Classic 30 years later, this year, and loved it all over again but totally differently as an adult.