2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Evonne's 2018 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Hi Everyone! I'm hoping to read 35 books in 2018. In 2016 I managed 38, and got to 33 in 2017. The pace of my life-outside-of-books hasn't changed so I think I can pull this off.

I've been including professional development books too - hoping that's okay!

Looking forward to this!

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Evonne & a very happy reading/new year!!

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Best of luck in the coming year!

message 4: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!

message 5: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Thanks! I'm a little ahead of my goals right now but I've read in a few different genres and it's going well! How's your reading coming along?

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments It is coming thanks for asking!

message 7: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Don't stress! Just enjoy the reading and let your whims guide you!

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Evonne wrote: "Thanks! I'm a little ahead of my goals right now but I've read in a few different genres and it's going well! "

Nice!
You're not tracking your books in this thread?
Which was your favourite read so far?

message 9: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments I was completely overwhelmed when I joined this forum with how many threads there were, and how many discussions to follow. I couldn't even keep up. To preserve my sanity I read my books and just posted reviews.

How do you stay on top of all the conversations??

Temitayomiyoshiseun Jemison | 37 comments Evonne wrote: "I was completely overwhelmed when I joined this forum with how many threads there were, and how many discussions to follow. I couldn't even keep up. To preserve my sanity I read my books and just p..."

I felt the same way. I want to know how to keep up?

message 11: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Susy wrote: "Evonne wrote: "Thanks! I'm a little ahead of my goals right now but I've read in a few different genres and it's going well! "

Nice!
You're not tracking your books in this thread?
Which was your f..."

Loved "Symphony for the City of the Dead", by MT Anderson. So good! If you like war stories, and nonfiction. But well done. Best of the 7 I've read this year so far. I wrote a review you can find on my page.

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Evonne wrote: "I was completely overwhelmed when I joined this forum with how many threads there were, and how many discussions to follow. I couldn't even keep up. To preserve my sanity I read my books and just p..."

Lol, yes there are quite a lot of threads and we have quite a few members so yes that makes a LOT of updates. I just check out the notifications, selecting which threads/discussions I want to receive a notification about and which not. So in your case you might just select the discussion for your own thread (and the challenges you have joined if any). You can give an update when you finish a book (including the link to your review for example) or do a summary at the end of the month. That’s enough to keep involved in the group. It’s not necessary to follow all threads/discussions. Good luck! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

message 13: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Susy wrote: "Evonne wrote: "I was completely overwhelmed when I joined this forum with how many threads there were, and how many discussions to follow. I couldn't even keep up. To preserve my sanity I read my b..."

Yikes! Well, I think I'll just keep up my practise for now, and respond to anything that pops up here. I can always take on more once this feels comfortable! Thanks!

message 14: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Evonne wrote: "Yikes! Well, I think I'll just keep up my practise for now, and respond to anything that pops up here. I can always take on more once this feels comfortable! Thanks! "

👍 😊

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a great month for you.

message 16: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Thanks for the encouragement! sometimes I think about all the books being read everywhere by everyone all over the world.... there's a lot of work to be done of every single book is to be brought to life by a devoted reader! Best of we all do our parts! 😄

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments 2 Million people have joined the challenge so I agree with you let's do our part.

message 18: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments :D

message 19: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 20: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments The Symphony for the City of the Dead, by MT Anderson. Oh my goodness, so good. Nonfiction, about the seige of Leningrad and a particular musician who wrote music to keep up the spirits of the people both because of the government at the time and because of the war. A two sided battle, fought with music. Just good.

Blagica wrote: "A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?"

message 21: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments will have to peek at it.

message 22: by Evonne (last edited Apr 05, 2018 05:24PM) (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Yes, do. So good, if you like history at all.

And you? Best book so far this year?

message 23: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Evonne wrote: "Yes, do. So good, if you like history at all.

And you? Best book so far this year?"

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between

message 24: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments Oh! A collection of personal essays. I've never done a book like that, as far as I can remember. I'll check it out. Thanks!

[book:Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between|3..."

message 25: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May! You are doing great keep it up! Did you look into it?

message 26: by Evonne (new)

Evonne | 21 comments No. My mother has been needing some extra care lately and I haven't read anything outside of work. I think I added it to my Amazon Wishlist though!

message 27: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments I hope your mom is doing better! I can't wait to see what you think!