Read Scotland 2018 discussion

A Wee Craic > A Place to Chit-Chat

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Dec 31, 2017 04:25AM) (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Have a blether, a yarn, and a good old chat.....

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments This new book is coming out this month, sounds interesting:

Swansong by Kerry Andrew
Set in the Highlands :)

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Melanie wrote: "This new book is coming out this month, sounds interesting:

Swansong by Kerry Andrew
Set in the Highlands :)"

This book looks amazing! Absolutely love the sound of it... might treat myself in the future...

message 4: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments There's a FREE ebook on Amazon Kindle today called Liberty and the Lochness Monster. Grab now, read later. (Check the price before you buy, make sure it hasn't gone up.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...

It's a kid's book, so it might be an eye-opening experience for your kids/grand-kids if you read it together with them.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Ellen wrote: "Melanie wrote: "This new book is coming out this month, sounds interesting:

Swansong by Kerry Andrew
Set in the Highlands :)"

This book looks amazing! Absolutely ..."

Yeah it's on my list too. Doubt my library will get it.

message 6: by Ellen (last edited Jan 18, 2018 05:04AM) (new)

Ellen | 87 comments Just finished The Falls by Ian Ranking. So worth the read. One of the Best in his Rebus series. My review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by John (last edited Jan 22, 2018 01:38PM) (new)

John R Not particularly relevant to this site, other than the fact that Ellen is in Orkney, but have a look at the advert (from the Orkney Herald in 1898) which was reproduced in the Orkney Archive BlogSpot -

http://orkneyarchive.blogspot.co.uk/

I suspect I've been eating too many eggs, or I may just be a "tea drunkard"!

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 87 comments My thrill of the week. I posted on James Oswald's website that his latest book won't be released in the States for another few months. He replied to my post: I hope you won't have to wait too long.

Thrilled that one of my most favorite authors actually read and took the time to respond to my post.

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen wrote: "My thrill of the week. I posted on James Oswald's website that his latest book won't be released in the States for another few months. He replied to my post: I hope you won't have to wait too long...."

That's great, Ellen! :) He sounds a lovely man. I too hope you don't have to wait too long to enjoy his latest.

message 10: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments Here's a free Scottish e-book I spotted on Amazon Kindle today (at least in the U.S., not sure about other countries).

A Kingdom's Cost by J.R. Tomlin

Just check the price to see if it changed before you purchase...

https://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-Cost-...

message 11: by John (new)

John R Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "My thrill of the week. I posted on James Oswald's website that his latest book won't be released in the States for another few months. He replied to my post: I hope you won't have to ..."

Its also currently free on Amazon UK.

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 87 comments John wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ellen wrote: "My thrill of the week. I posted on James Oswald's website that his latest book won't be released in the States for another few months. He replied to my post: I hope you ..."

Does that mean its only free on amazon in the UK and not the USA?

message 13: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Does this book Faraday, Maxwell, and the Electromagnetic Field How Two Men Revolutionized Physics by Nancy Forbes count towards this challenge? It is a dual biography on Michael Faraday (who's English), but also James Clerk Maxwell (who is Scottish). Maybe it counts as half a book?

message 14: by Ellen (new)

Elliot wrote: "Does this book Faraday, Maxwell, and the Electromagnetic Field How Two Men Revolutionized Physics by Nancy Forbes count towards this challenge? It is a dual biography on Michael Faraday (who'..."

I’d say it counts, add it in! Hope you enjoyed it :)

message 15: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Thanks! I actually just started reading it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

message 16: by Ellen (new)

The author Ann Cleeves is visiting my library in Orkney tomorrow! We're having coffee and cake while she discusses her final book Wild Fire in the Shetland series. Very excited, though I have a lot of catching up to do as I've only read the first three...

Anyone else a fan?

message 17: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Has anyone here read Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border by Walter Scott by Walter Scott? It was referenced in the The Steel Bonnets by George MacDonald Fraser and I am curious if it's worth a read. Regardless, I picked up the copy of it at my library and I'll give it a look through when I have the chance.

message 18: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments Ellen wrote: "The author Ann Cleeves is visiting my library in Orkney tomorrow! We're having coffee and cake while she discusses her final book Wild Fire in the Shetland series. Ve..."

I'm way behind on reading the posts in this group, so just now saw this. Lucky you! I've only read the first two in this series, and can't say I am dedicated fan yet, but it's always exciting to meet an author. So Wild Fire is the last book? Did she say why she is ending the series?

message 19: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments Elliot wrote: "Has anyone here read Minstrelsy of the Scottish Border by Walter Scott by Walter Scott? It was referenced in the The Steel Bonnets by George MacDonald Fraser and I am curious if it's wo..."

What's the verdict?

message 20: by Elliot (new)

Elliot I really didn't get much of a chance to look through Minstrelsy because I had to return it to the library before I took off for school, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Steel Bonnets. I would definitely recommend that one for history lovers, and Fraser is a terrific writer.

message 21: by Ellen (new)

Lorna wrote: "Ellen wrote: "The author Ann Cleeves is visiting my library in Orkney tomorrow! We're having coffee and cake while she discusses her final book Wild Fire in the Shetl..."

Hi Lorna - It’s great meeting authors, whether you’re into their books or not, it’s kind of nice to hear them talk. She was really nice, quite funny (funnier than her books actually!) I’m not her #1 fan either but find her books quite a fast read every once in a while, let me know if you like the Vera series, I haven’t tried them yet :) As for ending the series, she said she didn’t want to get bored. She had meant to stop after three books, (or was it four books? my memory’s is iffy!) but she kept getting new ideas and inspiration so pushed the series further. Now she feels she wants to move on before the murders on the islands get stale, if that makes sense? She hinted at a new set of murders and characters, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see...

message 22: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments Hm, I'll have to keep an eye out for new titles!