Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Old & New Classic Challenge > Candi's 2018 Old and New Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candi (last edited May 25, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

message 2: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2437 comments I like your list! I'm also trying to get to North and South and Shadows on the Rock (love Cather!). I should probably read So Big also (have never read Ferber but want to!). Have fun with your challenge :)

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Great list, Candi.
I'm also a fan of Cather.
I haven't heard of The Country of the Pointed Firs. I'm off to investigate. :D

message 4: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Terris wrote: "I like your list! I'm also trying to get to North and South and Shadows on the Rock (love Cather!). I should probably read So Big also (have never read Ferber but want to!). Have fun with your chal..."

Oh yes, Cather is one of my favorites too, Terris! I've never read Ferber either, so am looking forward to discovering a new author :)

message 5: by Candi (last edited Dec 30, 2017 09:23AM) (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Petra wrote: "Great list, Candi.
I'm also a fan of Cather.
I haven't heard of The Country of the Pointed Firs. I'm off to investigate. :D"

Thanks, Petra! I've read and enjoyed several Cather novels, and am glad that there are still several left for me to dive into. I can't remember where I first came across The Country of the Pointed Firs - likely from reading someone's excellent review though :)

message 6: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Oh, two of my all time favourites! North and South, and Remains of the Day! Hope you like them too. Haven’t tried Cather yet...
Great list ;0)

message 7: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Veronique wrote: "Oh, two of my all time favourites! North and South, and Remains of the Day! Hope you like them too. Haven’t tried Cather yet...
Great list ;0)"

Thank you for the endorsement of those two books, Veronique! I've read one other Gaskell - Wives and Daughters - and absolutely loved it. Looking forward to these reads. Do give Cather a try if you can - her writing is a delight :)

message 8: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5046 comments Mod
Super list, Candi. All the books I have read on it are superb. I loved Country of the Pointed Firs because it felt like a visit to Maine for me, and Cat's Eye is my very favorite Atwood (and I am a huge fan of all her work).

Happy 2018!

message 9: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Sara wrote: "Super list, Candi. All the books I have read on it are superb. I loved Country of the Pointed Firs because it felt like a visit to Maine for me, and Cat's Eye is my very favorite Atwood (and I am a..."

Thank you, Sara! I'm very excited to take a crack at completing this challenge. Happy 2018 to you, too!!

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3183 comments Great list Candi. I have The Remains of the Day and North and South on different challenges for 2018.

I loved North and South, The House of Mirth and Cannery Row.

Have fun!

message 11: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Sue wrote: "Great list Candi. I have The Remains of the Day and North and South on different challenges for 2018.

I loved North and South, [book:The House of Mirth|177..."

Thanks very much, Sue! I am really looking forward to all of these!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 124 comments Great list, Candi 😊

message 13: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Great list, Candi 😊"

Thank you, Mel!! :)

message 14: by Mercedee (new)

Mercedee Hutton (mercedeeh) | 26 comments Fantastic list! Several I haven't had on my radar--Pointed Firs and Cather. Will be investigating too. Thank you for sharing, Candi!

message 15: by Candi (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Mercedee wrote: "Fantastic list! Several I haven't had on my radar--Pointed Firs and Cather. Will be investigating too. Thank you for sharing, Candi!"

Thank you, Mercedee! I am excited about the list :) Jewett is a new-to-me author, and Cather is a real treat if you get a chance to read one of her novels :)

message 16: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments I've got my old school's done and a couple of others! My reviews for those are posted in Women Authors challenge and/or Bingo Challenge.

message 17: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5046 comments Mod
This is the challenge I need to turn my attention to. Congrats on the progress you have made.

message 18: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Thanks, Sara. I need to make sure I keep chipping away at this!