You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > Kushiel's Dart

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura and myself are going to be reading Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey together in January. The start date is January 1st. All are welcome to join in.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'll be eagerly waiting for this. :)

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Dec 30, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "I'll be eagerly waiting for this. :)"

Me too :) I reckon it will be a good book to discuss.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I think there is a lot in the book to discuss. I read it some time ago. One of these days I'd like to get the next book in the series.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I've heard only good things about it.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "I think there is a lot in the book to discuss. I read it some time ago. One of these days I'd like to get the next book in the series."

That's good to hear, Janice.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "I've heard only good things about it."

I've heard mostly positive things about it. I have come across the occasional negative comment, but the good comments far outweigh the bad ones.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) How do you want to read it Lisa? Do you want to speed through it or read it slow? It's our first BR together so I'd like to know what pace you're comfy with. 😊

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm quite a slow reader so it will probably take me a while to get through it. However, don't feel you need to match my pace, Laura. Just read it as quickly or as slowly as you like and if you want to make any comments, just make sure you put a spoiler in where necessary and then I can read them and reply to them as and when I get to them 🙂

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) ok Lisa. I'll do that. 😊

@Janice - was this a 5 star read for you?

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments No, I gave it 3 stars. I'm not sure why since I didn't write much of a review. I read it in 2014. I remember some scenes vividly so it obviously had an impact. There are books I've read months ago and can't remember a thing.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm starting today. :)

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I started yesterday and am up to Chapter 6 (page 50). I think it's a book I will enjoy, I like the world building so far (although there are a lot of names being introduced) and I am enjoying learning about Phèdre's background. I think the writing style is quite good, although there are occasions where I feel like Jacqueline Carey went through a thesaurus and plucked out the fanciest sounding words she found.

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I also reached chapter 6 (a different page number in my paperback)

I love the book already. And find the writing style lovely though a bit heavy at times. It doesn't bother me because I have been reading a lot of "old school" fantasy lately. Kay or Bujold are nothing less. (I have to have a dictionary at hand once in a while with them also.) :D
Just like you, I loved learning about Phèdre's background. The book caught me from the very first chapter because of that.

The Midwinter Masque was great also but I didn't quite get (view spoiler)

I'm getting a bit confused at times with the names and find myself leafing back through the pages to see who was where. Hope that will settle after a few more chapters.

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Jan 02, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "I also reached chapter 6 (a different page number in my paperback)

I love the book already. And find the writing style lovely though a bit heavy at times. It doesn't bother me because I have been ..."

I have also been wondering what (view spoiler)

I'm also getting a bit confused about all the characters, although the character list at the beginning is helping with that. Did your copy also have a list of characters? I expect it will settle down, once we become more familiar with the world, customs, etc.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I also tend towards the more complex. :)

My copy also has the list of people and places, dramatis personae and nice maps. It's a huge book. And I have totally forgotten about it. :D I was leafing back through the pages instead of looking at those lists.
I normally have a problem with names in all complex fantasy worlds in the beginning, until I settle properly into the book.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I listened to the audiobook so didn't have the benefit of a list of characters or maps. That would have been helpful.

Re: Kushiel's dart - (view spoiler)

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I have just finished Chapter 28 and I love Joscelin. His dilema (view spoiler) I do hope he'll stick around for the rest of the book and even the whole trilogy. :)

@Janice - regarding Kushiel's Dart and the design on the back (view spoiler)

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Laura re: Kushiel's Dart (view spoiler)

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "Laura re: Kushiel's Dart [spoilers removed]"

Janice, yes the (view spoiler)

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) Thank you Janice. I wasn't really sure if that term fits. This is the first book I'm reading with this type of a character.

And how do you like it Lisa? At what chapter are you now?

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you Janice. I wasn't really sure if that term fits. This is the first book I'm reading with this type of a character.

And how do you like it Lisa? At what chapter are you now?"

I'm at Chapter 13. I really like it so far. I'm enjoying how the political situation is unfolding and it's really interesting seeing Phèdre develop and change as she grows up. Delaunay' training is beginning to work wonders. Talking of Delaunay, what a fascinating character he is turning into. He appears to have lots of depth and mystery about him which is something I always enjoy in a character. (view spoiler)

I'm guessing that Melisande will go on to become (view spoiler)

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I was having the same thoughts at that time Lisa, though I have to say I don't love Delaunay that much. He is a very complex character but I like Alcuin and Hyacinte more.

I have read quite a bit more of it and will probably finish it by tomorrow night. After the quarter mark it became un-put-downable! It made me burst out laughing at times and feel like crying at others. I'll wait for you to post your thoughts as you go on and reply to those as I don't want to risk spoiling something for you. Hope you like it just as much as I do. :)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Wow, you have flown through it, Laura! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I really love it Lisa. How about you? At what chapter are you now and how do you like it?

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Laura wrote: "I really love it Lisa. How about you? At what chapter are you now and how do you like it?"

I'm still at Chapter 13 because I haven't been able to get any reading done yet today 😜 I will read a bit more later though. I really like it so far. I wouldn't say I love it yet but that could change as I get further through.

message 27: by Lisa (last edited Jan 04, 2018 11:43AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Okay, Laura, I have read some more and up to Chapter 19. I really love the world this is set in, it feels like a mixture of Ancient Rome and Medieval France. Jacqueline Carey is doing such a great job of bringing it all to life, even though I am still getting a bit confused by who is who and who is working with who, etc. There is so much political stuff intrigue going on, it's like Game of Thrones all over again. I am also really starting to like Phèdre as a character. I wasn't sure about her to begin with but she is growing on me so much. I love how smart and tough she is. It also made me smile when she chose (view spoiler)

I am now thinking (view spoiler)

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) I was having exactly the same thoughts at that time Lisa. :) The who is who is getting a bit clearer as you go on. Though even at the end I had to look at the lists and check which noble was from where in a few cases. And I have the same impression regarding the politics: Game of Thrones all over again.

I finished it yesterday night and rated it a 5 star. I cannot say how much I loved it and hope you will too. I'm planning to read the rest of the series as soon as I'm done with my compulsory BRs for this month and if the other 2 books are the same this series will get a place in my top 5 favourites.

Did you get to read some more of it also?

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm really pleased you loved it, Laura. It's always nice to kick off the year with a 5 star read. If I had to rate it based on what I've read so far, I would give it a solid 4 stars. It's not into 5 star territory yet for me, but it may well get there in the end.

I have read a bit more. I'm flitting between this and another book (which I'm also really enjoying) so my progress with this is very slow. I'm up to Chapter 22 now. I don't have too many new thoughts or questions, other than what Melisande's game is? I'm also finding it quite hard to believe that (view spoiler) I was also surprised to learn that (view spoiler)

message 30: by Laura (last edited Jan 07, 2018 10:53PM) (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) Lisa wrote: "I'm really pleased you loved it, Laura. It's always nice to kick off the year with a 5 star read. If I had to rate it based on what I've read so far, I would give it a solid 4 stars. It's not into ..."

I think Alcuin wants to (view spoiler)
And I do find it difficult to believe that also - about Melisande. Her game didn't really become clear for me till the very end.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kushiel's Dart (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Carey (other topics)