Goodreads Ireland discussion

How did 2017 go?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I borrowed these questions from book tube. But it would be fun to answer at least some of them. Especially the first few.

How many books did you read?

Did you take part in monthly and/or quarterly reads? Highlights? Lows?

Did you meet your GRI genre challenge goal if you took part? Highlights? Lows?

Most read genre this year (regardless of GRI) ?

Favourite book published in 2017?

Favourite book not published this year?

Favourite debut book read in 2017?

A book that lived up to the hype.

A book that did NOT live up to the hype.

Book that felt like the biggest accomplishment?

Favourite character.

Least favourite character.

Most shocking book/moment.

Favourite romance/couple

The best written book you read this year.

Favourite book cover of the year.

Favourite adaptation to movie/tv etc.

What book made you cry the most?

What book made you laugh the most?

A new favourite author you discovered this year.

Guilty pleasure read of the year.

Favourite book you re-read this year.

Were you happy with your reading year? What will you do different in 2018?

message 2: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments How many books did you read? 81 books, 32,244 pages.

Did you take part in monthly and/or quarterly reads? Highlights? Lows?

Yes most of them. I like Himself, The Heart's Invisible Furies and The Importance of Being Earnest from the quarterlies. My favourite monthlies were House of Leaves and The Snow Child.

Did you meet your GRI genre challenge goal if you took part? Highlights? Lows?

Yes, I completed 11. I still don't like travel writing though but was happy I finally finished my memoir A Dublin Girl: Growing up in the 1930s because of the challenge.

Magical Realism (I was a big fan of it this year) and literary fiction (I read a few of the Baileys, Man Booker and Costa list, a few more on my shelves still)

Favourite book published in 2017? Em... Winter , The Heart's Invisible Furies and I Am Behind You

Favourite book not published this year? Too many. House of Leaves, Call of the Undertow, Star-Shot, Ties and Elmet

Himself, Stay with Me and Allegedly

The Snow Child

Far from the Tree

House of Leaves !!!!

Favourite character.
from Himself - Mrs Cauley

Can't think of one.

Opening scene of Mr. Mercedes - try listening to it on audio.

Favourite romance/couple

There's a sweet one in The Vanishing Witch

Winter - much of it still goes over my head. Most beautifully written is The Clay Girl

Ink Ink (Skin Books, #1) by Alice Broadway

I saw Let the Right One In in the Abbey theatre Dublin - recommneded. I also enjoyed Emma Donoghue's Room by Emma Donoghue

The Heart's Invisible Furies and Water for Elephants - people should get to go to the circus!

The Heart's Invisible Furies and Just One Damned Thing After Another

Jess Kidd and John Ajvide Lindqvist

? Totally innocent on all accounts.

A Tale for the Time Being

Were you happy with your reading year? What will you do different in 2018?

Yes - mostly 4 or 5 stars. So lets hope for the same for next year.

message 3: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Cphe wrote: "I'll always remember 2017 as the year that I tackled (and conquered)
Ulysses"

Wow! I don't think I am ever going to attempt that one!

Bookworm with Kids Really good questions there, Maria! I will have to give them a bit of thought to answer them. I was intrigued by your answers, I certainly wouldn't have the same favourites!

message 5: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Bookworm with Kids wrote: "Really good questions there, Maria! I will have to give them a bit of thought to answer them. I was intrigued by your answers, I certainly wouldn't have the same favourites!"

I have pretty eclectic reading tastes alright. I will be interested in what you like and disliked in 2017.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Dec 30, 2017 07:39PM) (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I read 120 books for a total of 38,275 pages. It's the same amount of books as 2016 but about 200 fewer pages.

My two favorite books of the year were: The Heart's Invisible Furies|33253215] and Beartown.

My favorite mystery The Chalk Man.

My favorite quarterly read The Heart's Invisible Furies

Favorite Monthly Read The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper

message 7: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I am intrigued to read the chalk man myself Susan. It's been on my want to read since people started reading the Arcs. Love the cover too :)

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I just finished it and was so impressed that it was a debut novel. I also liked that it was very nuanced and worked on a number of levels.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil How many books did you read? I read 50 books, 13,112 pages

Most read genre this year (regardless of GRI) ? literary fiction

Favourite book published in 2017? you should have left by daniel kehlmann, memoirs of a polar bear by yoko tawada, exit west by mohsin hamid

Favourite book not published this year? the gustav sonata by rose tremain, his bloody project by graeme macrae burnet and a horse walks into a bar by david grossman

Favourite debut book read in 2017? the end of eddy by edouard louis and fever dream by samantha schweblin

A book that lived up to the hype.exit west by mohsin hamid

A book that did NOT live up to the hype. nutshell by ian mcewen, this was a 1 * rating by me and just plain awful i thought.

Book that felt like the biggest accomplishment? 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster though it did help that it seemed like a best of with themes recurring from other books of his

Favourite character. the polar bear narrator in memoirs of a polar bear. clever, funny

Least favourite character. the mother of the narrator in nutshell, closely follo

Most shocking book/moment. the lesser bohemians by eimear mcbride. there is a long long segment on abuse

Favourite couple: the 2 friends in the gustav sonata by rose tremain

The best written book you read this year. you should have left by daniel kehlmann. he did brilliant in the building of the atmosphere

Favourite book cover of the year. memoirs of a polar bear b yoko tawada the drawing of the polar bear is superb. i like polar bears so i might be a tad bias.

Favourite adaptation to movie/tv etc. i really liked the film versions of both my cousin rachel and tomato red

What book made you cry the most? none made me cry or i repressed it

What book made you laugh the most? mirror, signal, shoulder by dorthe nors

A new favourite author you discovered this year. jon bilbao we will say

Guilty pleasure read of the year. killing lessons by saul black

Favourite book you re-read this year. i did reread tomato red for the film release but let's say child wonder by roy jacobsen

Were you happy with your reading year? What will you do different in 2018? more of the same in 2018 :) i'm very happy, could do with reading longer books for example my average length was 260 pages

message 10: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments I finally got to a computer were I can copy and paste so I can do this! lol so here it goes!

How many books did you read?
This year I was able to only read 47 out of the 52 books I pledge to read :(

Did you take part in monthly and/or quarterly reads? Highlights? Lows? Yes I did. I have two that were my favoriteThe Snow Child and The Underground Railroad. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves wasn't one of my favorites

Did you meet your GRI genre challenge goal if you took part? Highlights? Lows? I did almost complete it. I wanted to read two books for each genre. I almost made it but I was only able to read one classic because of time :/. I am still not a big travel genre person.

I'm going to say Historical Fiction

Favourite book published in 2017?
Thats a tie American War and Gather the Daughters

Favourite book not published this year?
The Snow Child hands down lol

American War

American War

Watch Me Disappear

This one is hard for me lol I guess Gather the Daughters

Favourite character.
Mahony from Himself

Eddie Lee in The Christmas Sweater

The ending of American war it wasn't really the ending just how it was carried out

Favourite romance/couple
It wasn't really a romance couple just a couple from Little Women. I just loved Laurie and Jo together even though they acted more like brother and sister

Fierce Kingdom: A Novel

Lilac Girls

Interview with the Vampire

Emily and Einstein

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper

There are too many to pick from

hmm...this one is a hard one Id say Himself.

Interview with a vampire

Were you happy with your reading year? What will you do different in 2018? No I wasn't I didn't finish my challenge due to working so many hours. I didn't think reading a book a week would be hard but working close to 50 hours each week was difficult. So this year I lowered my challenge to 47 books (the amount I got to this year) In hopes I can go over this year goes and make it into 52.

Happy New year and Happy Reading!

message 11: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Phil wrote: "Favourite book not published this year? the gustav sonata by rose tremain, his bloody project by graeme macrae burnet and a horse walks into a bar by david grossman

Just started the Gustav Sonata today on audio. I had a headache and I could lie down and listen to it. So far I am really liking it - though I am only an hour in as I fell asleep.

message 12: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Kara wrote: "It wasn't really a romance couple just a couple from Little Women. I just loved Laurie and Jo together even though they acted more like brother and sister.."

I loved Laurie and Jo together as well. I was so upset they didn't end up together in the end. I used to read that book every year from the age of 12 to about 19 (when I got a copy of Lord of the Rings and became a big Fantasy fan :)

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I loved The Gustav Sonata. I hope it doesn't keep putting you to sleep, Maria.