The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2018 > Questions?: UNO Team Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Captains and Co-captains, have you read all about the UNO Team Challenge and still have questions?

Post them here!

This thread is open for Captains, Co-captains, and for those of you who have not been assigned teams yet to ask any uno related questions. If you have a team, please ask your captains first.

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Dec 29, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments

Interested in playing?
Fill out this SIGN UP FORM with a few details and we will start assigning teams mid January. You will need to "check in" to your team thread by January 22 or you will be replaced
If you have problems with the form, please let us know.
You can see if your form responses worked, and check out who else has signed up here

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 25, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

If the book is a prequel and is listed as 3.5 in the series, does it still count for a 3 card? Or can I count it for a 4 card?
Only the whole numbers count for that, so in your case it would be 3.

have a question about Wonder... it says it's #1 in a series, but it's the only primary book. does it still count as 1 in series ?
It's first in a series even if no other books are listed.

I have a question about series number that only Discworld could have. The Last Continent is book number 22 in the Discworld universe, but #6 in the Rincewind series, so could I was it for card number 6?
We use what Goodreads has on their main book page. So for that one, it has #22

Where is the cut off line for when a character's name can or cannot be used for a card?
We generally want them to have some dialogue and meaning to the story. Not just a hotel bellhop called Victor that opens a door, for example

What's the rules with non fiction Books? Can the real life people of history say be used as "characters" and the same with locations used as "settings"?
I'm going to say no for the majority of non fiction books, (it opens the doors to books that have a zillion royals listed for example), unless of course the non fiction book is something like "Eat Pray Love" which is told like a novel with limited characters. I hope that makes sense!!

For location, is it just the city, state, country or are locations such as "Snowberry Manor" or maybe a specific lake or mountain name counted?
It needs to be the main setting for the book. So if the book is set in "Snowberry Manor" then that is ok. Whereas if that is just the name of the house, but not the main setting (which may be the city of London, for example) then I wouldn't count it

Can we use an author's middle initial for a letter, if it's listed in their name under author? Say Lauren E. Mitchell
No, sorry. First name and surname only

What about if it's a von, van, etc?
I use my library to work out the alphabetisation for any two word surnames. Most surnames that are van (e.g van dyke) are alphabetised as v

Are audiobooks allowed
Audiobooks are okay to use. You'll use the information from the default edition

Are translators' and narrators' names also allowed, in addition to authors?
No, only the author can be used

If I read books in another language than English, so should I use English or non-English title
Use the edition/language you are reading

Can we read books that are a collection of short stories?
Yes the book counts if the whole thing is read.

Can any of the authors listed for an anthology be used?
Use the author listed on goodreads as the "editor"

Are we allowed books that haven't yet been published?
Yes, as long as they are listed on Goodreads you can use them.

Is reverse a book a teammate has read at any time or during the challenge?
Anytime

Regarding the clored Cards: Can the book be any cover...does it have to be the cover for the version you are reading?
It needs to be the edition you are reading.

Can 2 people on my team read the same book for 2 different cards?
Yes

Are embedded words allowed? For example, will Seer of Sevenwaters work for seven?
No for embedded words.

If someone is known as Princess or Professor is that allowed as P or is it just the name?
It needs to be the characters name or nickname in the book, an honourific or title wouldn't count.

What happens if a team finishes all hands before the end of the month?
Then you get to relax. That's why the estimates of how much you read is so important when signing up. We try and get the teams as even as possible, but if a few people on a team start reading well above their estimates it does mean you will finish the month faster than we would normally anticipate

If we read books for all of our Feb cards, do we keep reading and bank books for March? Or do we start a new month clean on March 1?"
No banking books. Books need to be finished in the month they are used.

Rachael (foreverxbookish) (foreverxbookish) | 393 comments Do all books for every hand get decided at the beginning of the month or as hands are completed?

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2911 comments Yes you get all hands for the month at the start :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Rachael (foreverxbookish) wrote: "Do all books for every hand get decided at the beginning of the month or as hands are completed?"

Rachael - I interpreted your question a little differently.

While your team gets all the cards for that month at the beginning of the month, you don't necessarily decide all the books you'll read at the beginning of each month. That's up to you and your team and how you decide to work it. Each book fill mostly fit for multiple cards anyway, so teams keep track of any multiple criteria the book meets.

Hope that was helpful!

Rachael (foreverxbookish) (foreverxbookish) | 393 comments Ah thank you both so much! That cleared things up for me :)

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2911 comments Thanks Laura!

message 9: by Bryndís (new)

Bryndís Do we get some sort of conformation when we signed up? I'm suddenly worried I didn't fill in the form properly or something xD

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2911 comments No, but the link to the spreadsheet is in message 2 above so you can see your own entries and everyone else who has signed up :)

message 11: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 215 comments Can we sign with others?

message 12: by Elen (new)

Elen | 571 comments If I read books in another language than English, so should I use English or non-English title?

message 13: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Leslie wrote: "Can we sign with others?"

You can add a comment who you'd like to play with and we can try to match you up, not a whole team mind you ;)

message 14: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Elen wrote: "If I read books in another language than English, so should I use English or non-English title?"

Use the edition/language you are reading :)

message 15: by Bryndís (new)

Bryndís Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "No, but the link to the spreadsheet is in message 2 above so you can see your own entries and everyone else who has signed up :)"

thanks!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments I may have missed this somewhere in the posts so far this year, but are we still using Tin Eye Labs to check the colors? And what was the percentage again? Thank you! Sorry if this is answered somewhere else already.

message 17: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Laura wrote: "I may have missed this somewhere in the posts so far this year, but are we still using Tin Eye Labs to check the colors? And what was the percentage again? Thank you! Sorry if this is answered some..."

Yes and for any a captain wants a second opinion on, there is a thread in the captains group

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Thank you! And what percentage of the cover?

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2911 comments 50%+
:)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Question regarding Wild cards:

"Wild draw four
Read a book that can fit for any of the coloured cards you have that month (i.e. you are duplicating one of your coloured cards)"

Does this mean we're matching the color, or the color AND number?

message 21: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Color and number :)

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1816 comments Annika wrote: "Color and number :)"

Yikes! That's harder than last year!

message 23: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments We wanted to change things a bit. It is a challenge after all :)

message 24: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments I’m not finding my name, can you confirm that you’ve got me on the list?
Thank you!

message 25: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments You are on the reserve list for now as you signed up after the cutoff. Just hang in there and weäll place you on a team :)

message 26: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments No worries! Just wanted to make sure I’m in line ;)

message 27: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments You are in line, not forgotten - I promise! :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Can we read books that are a collection of short stories if we read the whole thing not skipping any stories? If so can we use the names of any of the authors that contribute to meet requirements?

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2911 comments Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Can we read books that are a collection of short stories if we read the whole thing not skipping any stories? If so can we use the names of any of the authors that contribute to meet requirements?"

Yes the book counts if the whole thing is read. In terms of the author we use the author listed as goodreads as the "editor"

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Can we read books that are a collection of short stories if we read the whole thing not skipping any stories? If so can we use the names of any of the authors that contribute to..."

Awesome Thanks :)

message 31: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Is the Captains group only for team captains or for co-captains too?

message 32: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments It's for captains and co-captains

message 33: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "Is the Captains group only for team captains or for co-captains too?"

Sometimes invites don't go into notifications. You can come over here https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... and hopefully see there it will let you join

message 34: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 789 comments Thanks! I joined up!

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Avaricious Reader (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 2911 comments :)

message 36: by Melindam (last edited Jan 07, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Just to make sure I understand the "wild"-card thing.

If we have this hand : Draw 2 /8/Wild/4 /6/2 /Skip

Does in this case "Wild" mean we can read a book that could fit any of 8/4/6/2/Skip?

Thanks for clarifying.

message 37: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Yes it does mean that ☺️

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 890 comments UNO Pixie wrote: "Jammin Jenny wrote: "Is the Captains group only for team captains or for co-captains too?"

Sometimes invites don't go into notifications. You can come over here https://www.goodreads.com/group/sho..."

I'm a co-captain but when I click the link it says that the group is "secret" :(

message 39: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Thanks Annika. And another issue

For Draw 2, can we use a book like this?

Draw 2 - duplicating Card 2 and 4
Card 4: "Bossypants" by Tina Fey (author surname starts with F)
Card 2: "Bossypants" by Tina Fey (author first name starts with T)

message 40: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Yes you can use it like that.

message 41: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Christina, I'm on a train at the moment and can't do much, but I'll send you an invite when I get home.

message 42: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Annika wrote: "Yes you can use it like that."

Thank you!!!!

message 43: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments You're welcome ☺️

message 44: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Dear All,

I am so sorry, but I managed to mess up the Team Neptune Spreadsheet! :(((((((
AAaarrrghhh!
I copied it and edited the copy, but still managed to delete the February cards sheet from the original as well. I don't know how it happened. :((((
Will you be able to help me? So sorry for causing you exra work

message 45: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments The Day is saved, I think managed to restore it, but I will double-check.

message 46: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments Melindam wrote: "The Day is saved, I think managed to restore it, but I will double-check."

Yup, you did. Looks like it should when I go on the sheet. Tab and cards all there.

message 47: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments UNO Pixie wrote: "Jammin Jenny wrote: "Is the Captains group only for team captains or for co-captains too?"

Sometimes invites don't go into notifications. You can come over here https://www.goodreads.com/group/sho..."

Hi, I'm a co captain but haven't had an invite to the captains group. Could someone send me one when they get a chance pls?

message 48: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments Alison wrote: "UNO Pixie wrote: "Jammin Jenny wrote: "Is the Captains group only for team captains or for co-captains too?"

Sometimes invites don't go into notifications. You can come over here https://www.goodr..."

I've sent you an invite.

message 49: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 947 comments Thank you

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol CB | 97 comments quick question, If we start a book lets say January 29th, but finish it Feb 2, doest it count in the Uno challenge ?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.