The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Library & Reading Room > Have you read this yet? (Books from our bookshelf)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2785 comments Mod
The group has a bookshelf with all the books we have read, found at the bottom of the group's home page.

How many have you read?

This is the place to share the books that you have read from the list--with the number of books you have read.
As well, we would enjoy hearing about those you liked--and even those you didn't.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

If there are books that you would enjoy reading, that are not on our Read or To-Read list, please let us know on the thread called
Books You Want to Read.
Our time frame is 1714 to 1910.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Moderator (last edited Dec 29, 2017 04:08PM) (new)

There are 116 books on our Read Shelf.

message 4: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 598 comments I’ve read 27 of them. My favorites are probably The Wind in the Willows, Zuleika Dobson, A Tale of Two Cities, The Idiot, Bleak House, and Middlemarch (which I am currently rereading). I love Jane Austen but not so much Emma or Northanger Abbey. Sorry I have missed so many! My time for deep-dive reading has been very limited in the past two years.

message 5: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

I have both Middlemarch and The Idiot twice. I read The Idiot for the first time in the early 70s and the second time a few years ago. I enjoyed it both times.

message 6: by Robin P, Moderator (last edited Dec 29, 2017 09:18PM) (new)

Robin P | 2067 comments Mod
Of the 116 listed, I have read 77, many before I joined this group. A number of Sherlock Holmes stories are listed individually and I have read them all so they increased my count. On the other hand, the whole Forsyte Saga is listed as one book even though it is made up of several. Some I have read more than once, such as most of Austen and half of Dickens.

My favorites are Emma, Jane Eyre, Our Mutual Friend, David Copperfield, Middlemarch, Wives and Daughters and Barchester Towers.

Some I read so long ago that I don't really remember them. For instance, I know we studied The Return of the Native in high school but when this group read it recently, I remembered nothing except that there was a scene with bonfires, not a thing about the plot or characters. I think I was too young to appreciate Hardy. I do remember reading and disliking Silas Marner and Ethan Frome in high school, but I bet if I read them again I would value them more.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Moderator (last edited Dec 30, 2017 07:28AM) (new)

I didn't read Silas Marner in high school, but we did read The Mayor of Casterbridge, A Tale of Two Cities and The Scarlet Letter.
I read Silas Marner for the first time this summer and really enjoyed it.
I have not read Ethan Frome yet. Maybe in 2018.

I have read 71 of the books.

message 8: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4460 comments Mod
What's your favorite book from our read shelf?

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 40 comments Reading from Penny Dreadfuls: Sensational Tales of Terror which contains classics like Frankenstein, The Pit and The Pendulum and many more. Right now I'm reading The Wehr-Wolf: A legend of the Limousin by Richard Thomson.

message 10: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Alicia wrote: "Reading from Penny Dreadfuls: Sensational Tales of Terror which contains classics like Frankenstein, The Pit and The Pendulum and many more. Right now I'm reading The Wehr-Wolf: A l..."

PBS did a wonderful program on Poe in the American Masters Series. You might be able to stream it. Amazon’s seems to have some of the pbs series available to stream.

message 11: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 21 comments Deborah wrote: "What's your favorite book from our read shelf?"

A tie between David Copperfield and Emma. A distant second would be Lady Audley's Secret - I'd love to read more by that author.

When going through the group's bookshelf, I was surprised and excited to see that The Magic Ring was on the shelf as read. But for some reason I couldn't find the discussion for the book.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Dyson | 3 comments I can't find the bookshelf! Last things I can see on the Home Page are discussion groups and moderators.

message 13: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

If you access goodreads through the internet, you will have access to our bookshelf. If you are on the groups home page, you will find a list of options on the top right, and bookshelf is one of them.

I was using the app for my first few weeks on goodreads and couldn't access them that way, nor edit or delete my comments either.

If you still have problems, do not hesitate to ask. The site is quirky sometimes.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Dyson | 3 comments Thanks! Found it when not using the app! I've read 63. Excited to find ones I've not yet read. Special mention to The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner...read this at Uni, and have been trying to think of the name of it for years...recently downloaded a copy! Otherwise, favourites are Austen and Dickens.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

That's great Sharon.

message 16: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

mark wrote: "Deborah wrote: "What's your favorite book from our read shelf?"

A tie between David Copperfield and Emma. A distant second would be Lady Audley's Secret - I'd love to read more by that author.

Wh..."

I love Mary Braddon too. I wasn’t here for The Magic Ring. It is possible that it got purged. You can always put it in the books you want to read thread.