Goodreads Ireland discussion

The House Where it Happened
This topic is about The House Where it Happened
Q1 2018: QIR The House Where It > Jan - MAr: The House Where Discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids This is the discussion thread for the Quarterly read for Q1 of 2018 The House Where it Happened by Martina Devlin.
I am looking forward to reading this!

message 2: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Thanks for setting it up. And I can see the thread on the discussion board:)

message 3: by Maria Hill (new) - added it

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I read an Irish Times review on this and as a result, bought it when it first came out. Sadly, I still haven't read it so will be picking it up soon.

Bookworm with Kids I am debating whether to buy this on Kindle or wait and go to the library next week when it reopens. I have a few books to read at the moment and it is the Quarterly book but it just looks really good!
Decisions, Decisions...

Colleen | 1205 comments I am starting this today and really looking forward to it.
I've been drawn to the cover since the first time it was nominated.
Question There are two covers of this book that I know of
The House Where it Happened by Martina Devlin and The House Where it Happened by Martina Devlin does one affect you more than the other?

Cphe | 0 comments This didn't quite work for me. I won't say more at this stage.........

message 7: by Maria Hill (new) - added it

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Colleen wrote: "I am starting this today and really looking forward to it.
I've been drawn to the cover since the first time it was nominated.
Question There are two covers of this book that I know of
[bookcover:..."

I think I like the second cover better it feels more dramatic than the first (the one I have).

Colleen | 1205 comments I like the first one . I feel drawn to it lol .

message 9: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments My copy has the first cover.

I started this in October. I got up to p. 137 but with 380 something pages, it feels drawn out. I will make a point to finish it during our quarter.

Colleen | 1205 comments Barbara I haven't reached that far yet but so far I like it .To me it seems to be setting the stage for what comes next which we already knows won't be good .So far I'm hooked hopefully it will continue ,

message 11: by Maria Hill (last edited Jan 14, 2018 01:18PM) (new) - added it

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments The inscription in my edition says "I love Ghost stories. I hope You do too. Martina Devlin"

So I am expecting a Ghost Story which In Irish Literature are normally quite slow paced with inconclusive endings. We shall see I guess.

message 12: by Maria Hill (last edited Jan 14, 2018 01:23PM) (new) - added it

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments A picture from the book's setting. The island Magee.

Portmuck Islandmagee

Colleen | 1205 comments That's beautiful and really looks remote . Thank you!

Colleen | 1205 comments I finished The House Where it Happened I really loved it .Thanks for the picture Maria . It added a beautiful visual of the setting of the novel .

Colleen | 1205 comments I nominated this but I don't know how to put a spoiler thread up .

message 16: by Maria Hill (new) - added it

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments You need to be on a computer.

Go to https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Click on "New Topic" - It's a blue link above last activity.

Fill in the boxes and it should go into the correct subfolder for you.

I hope to get to the book soon as I seconded it!

Colleen | 1205 comments lol thanks Maria . I might not get to my computer until late tonight or tomorrow but I'll follow your directions when I do :)

message 18: by Maria Hill (new) - added it

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments Do you want me to set it up - or do you want to learn how?

Colleen | 1205 comments I want to learn but if want to set it up that's ok too. There are discussion questions at the end of my book would it be ok to use some of them to generate discussion?

Colleen | 1205 comments Hi I was wondering if anyone is reading this and if they feel like discussing this novel ? I managed to open a spoiler thread and I posted questions that were in the back of the novel.

Bookworm with Kids Colleen, I finished the book a few days ago and I have been considering the questions. I just need to sit down with my computer rather than my phone to post my answers and thoughts. Thanks for posting them.