A Gentleman in Moscow
This topic is about A Gentleman in Moscow
Group Reads - Fiction > A Gentleman in Moscow- Jan 2018 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please discuss our 2018 group read- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading this with my real life book group. I think I will pick it up tonight, I've heard great things

PattyMacDotComma | 1159 comments I loved this book and will be following your discussion. You have such a good read to look forward to! I envy you. Happy New Year!

I reviewed it with no spoilers if you need any encouragement. You probably don't. :)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by John (new)

John Grabowski (johngrabowski) | 7 comments Do we do anything other than read and post discussion here? Just wondering.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
John wrote: "Do we do anything other than read and post discussion here? Just wondering."

No, that's about it. :) We all just post about the book and discuss throughout the month in this thread as we read.

message 6: by John (new)

John Grabowski (johngrabowski) | 7 comments Greg wrote: "John wrote: "Do we do anything other than read and post discussion here? Just wondering."

No, that's about it. :) We all just post about the book and discuss throughout the month in this thread as..."

Does it go on past the end of the month? Often I have few thoughts when I first finish something MANY thoughts later. ;-)

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
John wrote: "Does it go on past the end of the month? Often I have few thoughts when I first finish something MANY thoughts later. ;-) .."

Absolutely John! Most people might be done posting by then, but I have often gone past the end of the month. We leave the threads open so you can continue posting anytime.

Evelyn | 1410 comments Found this at my local library, will start reading tonight.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I started it today and I'm intrigued so far. I am really enjoying the writing style. It's quite slow paced but the story does draw you in

message 10: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I have ordered it from the library but this book is quite popular in my area I don't know when I might get a copy. I put it on "hold" but there are 30 or so people waiting before me and every copy from every library in the inter- library loan system is currently out! WOW!

Evelyn | 1410 comments Rebecca, did you try all formats? I ask only because I had the same experience with this book here, but was able to pick the large print copy off the shelf that day.

message 12: by Esther (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 1314 comments What are the rules on spoilers?

This next up on my list. I had better get a wiggle on so I can join in.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Early on in the read we keep things under spoiler tags but later in the month it becomes more relaxed. Any big plot spoilers should always stay hidden please

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11966 comments Mod
I was able to get a cheap copy on Amazon.co.uk so decided to buy it. The description looks interesting, and I can use it for two of my 2018 challenges, the All About Books Group Reads and historical fiction. I should hopefully have it by Wednesday.

message 15: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I did try all formats, print anyway, I went back and checked audio and e-reader, I have one but don't use it very often, and those are also all out! I may try to buy it, although I don't have a lot of room in my apartment but I could always sell it later. I read a lot of books but don't even have room in my apartment for a bookcase that's why I use the library so much.

message 16: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I am considering purchasing a copy I just have to check my finances. I have a few books here that I own and I will have to sell a couple today. There is a book swap store in my area, if you bring in books they give you credits, so I will bring some books in today and see if they have this book!

message 17: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I just counted for the fun of it in my area there are 36 cities and towns that you can order books from your library but they may come from one of those towns. Of those 36 cities and towns there are a total of 346 copies of this book and only 8 are available there are also 30 or so holds on copies of the book ahead of me! This only happens when a book is extremely popular, so I will try to purchase it as it will be faster!

message 18: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "I just counted for the fun of it in my area there are 36 cities and towns that you can order books from your library but they may come from one of those towns. Of those 36 cities and towns there ar..."

So sorry Rebecca! Hope you manage to get a copy!

Evelyn | 1410 comments Wow Rebecca, this is a Very popular book in your area!

Evelyn | 1410 comments I am enjoying the story so far. It's quietness and calmness is the perfect antidote to the hectic holiday season just ending.
This evening I started on book two and was struck by the passage describing the reason ghosts wander at night - to avoid the living. Ghosts, like myself at this time of year, are only seeking a little peace and quiet!

message 21: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I just ordered a used copy from Amazon. It won't arrive until the 10th but at least I'll have a chance to finish it this month.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I really hope you like it, Rebecca! After all the effort you’ve gone to get the book.

So far.. 200 pages in I think it probably is

message 23: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I hope so too, but I'm also reading An American Tragedy and that's a long read so it looks like I'll have some time to get into that book before getting this one. Happy reading everyone!

Leslie | 15985 comments This book is very popular in my area too but one of the several library holds I put on it came in today :) I will be starting in a few days.

Erica | 867 comments I read this book as part of a Recommendation Swap at the end of 2016. Thought the writing was brilliant and loved the main character.

Jennifer (goodreadscomjenniferediting) | 42 comments Erica wrote: "I read this book as part of a Recommendation Swap at the end of 2016. Thought the writing was brilliant and loved the main character."

I agree, Erica! I loved the writing, and thought the author did an excellent job describing the setting and the characters.

Has anyone read Rules of Civility?

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Jennifer, I have read Rules of Civility and loved it. It was a 4★ novel for me.

message 28: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer (goodreadscomjenniferediting) | 42 comments B the BookAddict wrote: "Jennifer, I have read Rules of Civility and loved it. It was a 4★ novel for me."

I'm glad you liked it so much. I bought Rules of Civility after I finished A Gentleman in Moscow, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I think I will move this up the list. Thanks, B the BookAddict!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished this yesterday and I loved it! Am writing my review at the moment. I thought it was beautifully written and although there wasn't a real tangible 'beginning, middle and end' and it moved quite slowly it was a very gripping read.

Rules of Civility is definitely one I want to pick up soon

Evelyn | 1410 comments I am just beginning book 4, 1950.

message 31: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 675 comments I had hoped to read this book w the group but I’m on a hold list at 2 different libraries for the ebook and the audiobook. It’s very popular. I’ll see which one comes in first. I’ve heard great things about the book!

message 32: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley | 4177 comments I'm reading this (slowly) only up to page 36, but love the writing. I've read Rules of Civility, and loved that, and so I'm sure once I'm stuck into this, I will like this one too.

message 33: by Esther (last edited Jan 10, 2018 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 1314 comments I am only a dozen pages in but enjoying the writing style so far.
It vaguely reminds me of Grand Budapest Hotel.

LauraT (laurata) | 13415 comments Mod
I hope to start reading it this coming week end; Sunday more probably than Saturday ...

Evelyn | 1410 comments Esther, I had forgotten about the Grand Budapest Hotel, but you are so right!
I finished last night, thoroughly enjoyed this story.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

We discussed the book in my IRL book club on Tuesday. The overall consensus was very positive. Everybody loved the writing style and found that although the book wasn't plot driven it was gripping and beautifully done. Everytime you felt yourself getting a bit bored something exciting would happen.

We all agreed that the Count was a very interesting character and that the key theme was the depiction of friendship. We also felt that the book dealt with the revolution very well, describing both positive and negative outcomes and reflecting on how society changed.

I'm personally so please I picked this book up. How is everybody else finding it?

Leslie | 15985 comments I am enjoying it now that I have adjusted the font size of the Kindle edition! The size I normally use was way too small for some reason!!

I find that the skips in time occasionally leave me frustrated. For example, in 1926 (view spoiler) I wanted to learn more about how that transition happened.

Of course, given his incarceration at the hotel, a strictly chronological storyline would be tedious in its repetition, so I think that this method is probably the best.

Rostov's name seemed familiar to me so I did a little Googling to see if he was an actual historical figure. It turns out that he isn't but Count Nikolai Ilyich Rostov is a character in Leo Tolstoy's novel War and Peace. I guess that is why it sounded familiar!

Here is a link to the author's answers to some questions about the book. I just skimmed it because my eye happened to fall on a spoiler so if you haven't finished, use caution!

http://www.amortowles.com/gentleman-m...

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 572 comments Leslie wrote: "I am enjoying it now that I have adjusted the font size of the Kindle edition! The size I normally use was way too small for some reason!!

I find that the skips in time occasionally leave me frust..."

Thanks for the info about the author, Leslie. I saved that to read later.

Evelyn | 1410 comments Thank you for the link Leslie, it was very interesting and also answered the skipping time question.
He called it a doubling principal, 1 day after arrest, 2 days after arrest, day 5, 10, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year and so on up to 16 years where it then becomes a halving principal and the next time is 8 years later, then 4 years and so on down to 1 day again. Very clever I think.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the link, Leslie. Really interesting.

Did anybody else notice the chapters all start on the same time each year which was the day of the counts trial? I didn’t at the time, nor did I notice the years structure Towles talks about but it’s added to my love for the book!

Esther (eshchory) | 1314 comments OMG I have just got to the scene in the wine cellar!!

message 42: by Esther (last edited Jan 14, 2018 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 1314 comments And now he is eating a digestive...

ETA For the non-Brits a digestive is a semi-sweet biscuit to which my mother is addicted

LauraT (laurata) | 13415 comments Mod
Started, as I thoght, yesterday and I'm liking it quite a lot.

Heather wrote: "Thanks for the link, Leslie. Really interesting.

We all agreed that the Count was a very interesting character and that the key theme was the depiction of friendship. "

Thanks for the link Leslie; I'll look at it more closely as soon as I finish the book.
Indeed I agree on the analisys you made in the group read Heather: It is a book about friendhip

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Esther wrote: "OMG I have just got to the scene in the wine cellar!!"

This was one of my favourite bits! So funny!

message 45: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer | 235 comments This thread makes me want to track down this book and join you. Heather wrote: "Esther wrote: "OMG I have just got to the scene in the wine cellar!!"

This was one of my favourite bits! So funny!"

message 46: by Esther (last edited Jan 16, 2018 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esther (eshchory) | 1314 comments I am loving this book so much I am gobbling it up. I will have to do a reread and savour it.
There are lots of little touches (like the digestive and the mention of Henley) that send me flashes of my past.
His writing reminds me of the short stories of W. Somerset Maugham and F. Scott Fitzgeraldwhich I have always enjoyed.

Evelyn | 1410 comments Jennifer wrote: "This thread makes me want to track down this book and join you. Heather wrote: "Esther wrote: "OMG I have just got to the scene in the wine cellar!!"

This was one of my favourite bits! So funny!""

Do join in Jennifer, it's a fabulous book. My copy was from the library or I would send it your way....

message 48: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca | 50 comments I just got my copy I am going to start it today!

message 49: by Shirley (new) - added it

Shirley | 4177 comments I'd left this for a bit, but am going to read more, just need to find some more time in my life for reading!

Robin P I read this last year and found it just ok, except for the ending, which I really liked. While I'm glad it wasn't all about horrors of Soviet living, it seemed a little odd that the biggest challenge for a lot of the time was keeping up a high standard of food and wine.

« previous 1