Thomas Pynchon discussion

Inherent Vice

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donald (new)

Donald | 2 comments Discuss...

message 2: by Frederic (new)

Frederic Surprised by the similar themes,settings,characters and General Ambiance of Inherent Vice to those in PKD's "A Scanner Darkly"...realise that the "tone" is much lighter in Inherent Vice and that the similarities might just be do to the era...

message 3: by Erik (new)

Erik (erikb2000) I think you're right to see echoes and there is a passage where Pynchon suggests the Golden Fang is working both sides of the street, supplying and providing rehab, which is of course what New Path does in Scanner. I'm a huge Pynchon fan but in this case, I think Scanner beats Inherent Vice for this genre.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimRuland) | 5 comments I posted some notes about Gordita Beach in my review of Inherent Vice if anyone is interested.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (httpsbeckylindrooswordpresscom) | 19 comments So where is your blog?

message 6: by Gillies (new)

Gillies | 1 comments I haven't read this one yet, I'm still floundering helplessly somewhere in the middle of Against The Day. Can someone confirm there's a Ukulele (or an allusion to one) in it?

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 57 comments i'm surprised (but not really surprised) how well researched INHERENT VICE is. i grew up in los angeles in the era that the book is set, and it is just teeming with little touches that bring me back to that time effortlessly. mostly it's the locations, and also the media references. but it is also the element of racism displayed by the los angeles police force - this wouldn't surprise anyone that has ever spent any time there. but there it is!

i might recommend mike davis' book, CITY OF QUARTZ as a primer, just to provide some great historical back ground ... or not! the book is one of pynchon's more accessible texts.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimRuland) | 5 comments Thanks, Phillip! I've never read City of Quartz but its been on my list for a while.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 57 comments it's a great book if you have any interest in los angeles, which is my home town (as i said above - excuse the repetition). but it's also a nice microcosm on the west and how cities developed (on land stolen from mexican farmers). but it is also amazing for specifics on infamous characters - like the crew that l. ron hubbard ran around with while developing the scientology creed (you can't believe the kinds of things these folks were up to ... 1950's ... weird events, orgies, practically animal sacrifices). a fascinating book.

message 10: by Phillip (last edited Apr 16, 2012 03:04PM) (new)

Phillip | 57 comments don't know if you folks have read about this, but Paul Thomas Anderson (BOOGIE NIGHTS MAGNOLIA, THERE WILL BE BLOOD) is going to direct a feature film based on pynchon's INHERENT VICE.

i'm pretty excited about that - i think he knows how to capture los angeles really well (MAGNOLIA, etc.) and will do a great job. the conceivable problem will be casting, of course - again, for the most part, i have faith in his judgement.

message 11: by Christa (new)

Christa | 2 comments thats very exciting. thanks for posting the pending movie info :D