CMLE Reading Challenge discussion

Challenge Prompts > book with an author who has the same first or last name as yours

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CMLE Libraries (new)

CMLE Libraries | 29 comments Mod
(gold star awarded if you can find someone with both your first and last names!)

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie No gold star for me, but I finally got around to Brokeback Mountain

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 34 comments Annie wrote: "No gold star for me, but I finally got around to Brokeback Mountain"

This is a fun one - in a "I cried during most of it" kind of way!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary | 34 comments How Not to Be Wrong The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg

I'm trying to stretch into some new books, and more nonfiction books, this year. This was a good book for people like me, who tend toward math phobia; but as I listened to it I realized I know a lot more math and statistics than I thought I did! The author reads it, which is not always a good thing - but here he did a good job making it all feel light and almost fun to listen to over 13 hours of math.

(This is why I like book challenges - without being pushed I will stay firmly in my butt-kicking-chicks-with-magic genre; but I like being "forced" to explore around and find some unexpected gems!)

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (minnemom) | 14 comments Mary wrote: "How Not to Be Wrong The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg

I'm trying to stretch into some new books, and more nonfiction books, this year. This was a good book for people like m..."

Thanks for the note about the audiobook being good. I usually choose good nonfiction for listening in the car when my teenagers are along--there's not as much of a story plot to miss if their rides with me are sporadic.

If you want to try more well-read nonfiction, I'd recommend Radium Girls, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and Code Girls.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 34 comments Linda wrote: "Mary wrote: "How Not to Be Wrong The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg

I'm trying to stretch into some new books, and more nonfiction books, this year. This was a good book for ..."

I love the Henrietta Lacks book - and I've had the others on my TBR pile! I need to move them up. Thanks for the suggestions! I just got the paper copy of The Woman Who Smashed Codes from the library last night (been hold forever!) so I'm pretty excited to start in on that!