J.D. Robb discussion

In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Memory In Death Buddy Read - Jan. 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10394 comments Mod
Next up in our In Death buddy read is Memory in Death. This one is intense! We'd love to have you join our discussion!

Synopsis/Blurb:
The #1 "New York Times"-bestselling author of "Survivor in Death" has Lieutenant Eve Dallas walking a tightrope between her professional duties and her private demons.
Eve Dallas is one tough cop. She's got no problem dealing with a holiday reveler in a red suit who plunges thirty-seven stories and gives new meaning to the term "sidewalk Santa." But when she gets back to the station and Trudy Lombard shows up, it's all Eve can do to hold it together. Instantly, she's thrown back into the past, to the days when she was a vulnerable, traumatized girl-trapped in foster care with the twisted woman who now sits in front of her, smiling.
Trudy claims she just wanted to see how Eve was doing. But Eve's husband, Roarke, suspects otherwise-and his suspicions prove correct when Trudy arrives at his office, demanding money in exchange for keeping the ugly details of his wife's childhood a secret. Barely restraining himself, Roarke shows her the door-and makes it clear that she'd be wise to get out of New York and never bother him or his wife again.
But just a few days later, Trudy's found on the floor of her hotel room, a mess of bruises and blood. A cop to the core, Eve is determined to solve the case, if only for the sake of Trudy's bereaved son. Unfortunately, Eve is not the only one to have suffered at this woman's hands, and she and Roarke will follow a circuitous, dangerous path to find out who turned this victimizer into a victim.

Approximate Story Dates: 19th December 2059 - 26th December 2059

Character List:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
David Baxter
Ryan Feeney
Mavis Freestone
Nadine Furst
Leonardo
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Troy Trueheart
Jack Whitney
Dickie Berenski
Crack
Galahad
Ursa Harvo
Dennis Mira
Morris
Cher Reo
Anna Whitney

Minor & Peripheral Characters
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Are you ready for more Eve & Roarke and the rest of the gang? I am! Open discussion will start on the 8th of January.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2332 comments After Roarke and his family we have Eve having to deal with her past. Can't wait

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments Can wait to start the new year with In Death. Love Eve and Roarke

message 5: by Sandra (new)

I look forward to our monthly visit with Roarke & Eve! And really enjoy discussing the books with all of you. Thanks for continuing this journey with me. Even after 3 complete read-throughs, I never tire of reading & discussing these books. :)

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments This one has some emotional Eve moments and protector Roarke shines.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Let the reading begin! lol Open discussion on the 8th!

message 8: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 308 comments I have started it and for some reason I don't remember much about it. Usually as soon as I start it all comes flooding back. Obviously my memory is dead;)

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13391 comments Mod
This one has a few scenes that are standouts for me. There’s a scary Roarke one, Phrynne. Maybe that will refresh your memory (really bad pun...intended)😉

message 10: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I am behind in this series; I'll try to catch up as soon as the books come to the library for me.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments I started reading/listening. I just want to say "Run". I love this scene scary Roarke the protector of Eve.

message 12: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 308 comments I finished it and loved it but still have to say I did not remember it as I was reading. However I guessed the murderer which I don't often do so maybe my subconscious remembered it all!

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Sharon wrote: "I started reading/listening. I just want to say "Run". I love this scene scary Roarke the protector of Eve."

Gotta love scary Roarke!

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Phrynne wrote: "I finished it and loved it but still have to say I did not remember it as I was reading. However I guessed the murderer which I don't often do so maybe my subconscious remembered it all!"

Is it possible you skipped this one?

message 15: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Listening to it now. Read book years ago.

message 16: by Phrynne (new)

Phrynne | 308 comments Jonetta wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "I finished it and loved it but still have to say I did not remember it as I was reading. However I guessed the murderer which I don't often do so maybe my subconscious remembered it..."

Possible but unlikely. But it was a long time ago so who knows:)

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sharon wrote: "I started reading/listening. I just want to say "Run". I love this scene scary Roarke the protector of Eve."

One of my favorites! Among many...lol!

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Open discussions begin in 4 days! Looking forward to it!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 944 comments Finished yesterday and enjoyed it although I guessed the killer almost immediately.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2332 comments With in death usually when the case is reverting you know the feelings will be explosive

message 21: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments Started my re-listen today...I just love that you can always count on these audiobooks to be great!

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Charlene wrote: "Started my re-listen today...I just love that you can always count on these audiobooks to be great!"

You can! Every single time! She brings these characters to life!

message 23: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I audiobooks give a different context and feel to. You can hear the emotions in the characters.

message 24: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Working on finishing it now.

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 171 comments My copy is at the library, will get it and start it tomorrow.

Many of these I read over 4 years ago so it is great to come back to them and have a few surprises as I listen again. Can't wait!

message 26: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments Just start today

message 27: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments Just finished cannot wait for Monday

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Open discussions begin tomorrow!

message 29: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments What did you think of Eve first meet with Trudy lumbar

message 30: by Jonetta (new)

Boy, did that catch me off guard. I’m not used to Eve being so physically upset, except during those awful dreams. I couldn’t read fast enough to learn more about this relationship.

message 31: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments I Eve was going to hit her or or try to arrest her for some awful of criminal charges I didn't think she would want from it I thought you'd stand up and face it but it was a real good scene

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Spoiler Alert! Open discussions have started.

In Memory, we finally learn what happened to Eve in the period of time between her escaping her father's abuse and her joining the Academy. As Cookie mentions above, Eve meets Trudy again, forcing her to face more horrific memories.

What were your thoughts on Eve & Trudy and the way it impacted Eve, both in the past & present.

Did you feel any sympathy whatsoever for Bobby?

Share your thoughts on Roarke's meeting with Trudy in his office.

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Eve brushes Peabody off, but Peabody knows who to call - Roarke! Thoughts on this and the "shower" scene?

Eve tells Roarke Trudy is HER problem and he should stay out of. Right or wrong, it hurt and angered him. Thoughts?

Share your thoughts on Dennis Mira and the role he's stepping into in Eve's life.

message 34: by Sandra (new)

What are your thoughts on Summerset & Roarke's conversation by the fire? It says so much about the relationships between these 3 characters and how far they've come.

“You gave me my life. You did,” he insisted when Summerset made a protesting sound. “And I worked— in my fashion— to build this place. I asked you to tend it for me. You’ve never let me down. But I needed her. The one thing, the only thing that could make this place home.”
“She’s not what I’d have chosen for you.”
“Oh.” With a half-laugh, Roarke bit into the cookie. “That I know.”
“But she’s right for you. The one for you.” His smile was slow. “Despite, or maybe due to, her many flaws.”

I think this is the first time Summerset really admits to Roarke that Eve is his perfect partner.

message 35: by Sandra (new)

When and how did you figure out the killer in Memory? Did you ever suspect Roarke? Share your thoughts on Peabody's "interview" of Roarke.

message 36: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments No because if Rock did it ever been done much smoother it'll look like a real burglary. I suspected it was Trudy's son or his daughter in law because she shouldn't be there banging on the door that early in the morning you call your mom or she would be doing something else she just didn't seem right the whole time.

message 37: by Sharon (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments In Memory, we finally learn what happened to Eve in the period of time between her escaping her father's abuse and her joining the Academy. As Cookie mentions above, Eve meets Trudy again, forcing her to face more horrific memories.

What were your thoughts on Eve & Trudy and the way it impacted Eve, both in the past & present.

Trudy is a terrible woman who should never be a foster parent, as Mira said. She wanted girls to be her slaves and never showed an ounce of love or kindness to them. It explains Eve's need for super hot showers. The poor girl jumped from one abusive home to another.

The more I learned about Eve and Trudy the more I appreciate how strong Eve is. It would be so easy for a young child to give up but Eve continued to fight and get where she wanted to be. Eve always says she didn't like school but she is smart. She didn't give up or give in and kept her eye on her goals.

Did you feel any sympathy whatsoever for Bobby?

I do feel sorry for Bobby. He is a victim too. His mother loved him as much as she is capable of loving but she wasn't a good mother. Even abused children cling to their parents. Bobby's abuse was subtle and camouflaged. Bobby knew his mother was wrong the way she treated the girls in his care. He did his best to sneak them food and show kindness.

He believes he found love with Zana but she was using him too. If Zana wasn't arrested she would have deserted him.

Share your thoughts on Roarke's meeting with Trudy in his office.

I love Roarke's meeting with Trudy. He put on the scary Roarke hat and put her in her place. He isn't the type of man who would be blackmailed which confounded Trudy. She was sure he would pay to keep Eve's secrets.

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sharon wrote: "In Memory, we finally learn what happened to Eve in the period of time between her escaping her father's abuse and her joining the Academy. As Cookie mentions above, Eve meets Trudy again, forcing ..."

I agree, Sharon. Eve's strength & will to live and become more is admirable. She propelled herself from victim to the role of victim protector - someone who finds justice for other victims. And scary Roarke?!? Oh man! Really good scene. :)

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments Eve brushes Peabody off, but Peabody knows who to call - Roarke! Thoughts on this and the "shower" scene?

Peabody is a good friend. She did the right thing because she knew that Eve doesn't break often, especially at work. Eve changed so suddenly and acted so out of character, Peabody knew Roarke was needed.

The shower scene is a normal reaction. Eve needed to wash away the dirt that is Trudy. She immediately went to scalding hot to take away the memories of nightly cold showers. The fact that she was curled in a corner is also indicative of the fact that she is trying to turn into herself. Roarke is the only person who could pull her out of that trance. It says a lot about Roarke that he immediately dropped everything in the Roarke universe to see what troubles Eve.

Eve tells Roarke Trudy is HER problem and he should stay out of. Right or wrong, it hurt and angered him. Thoughts?

It is the typical reaction of these two. They try to handle their "stuff" on their own. It doesn't work for either one of them but that is their go to reasoning. I get that Roarke is hurt but from Eve's perspective. Roarke finds a loving family even though his father was a POS. Eve on the other hand finds more abuse in her past. It breaks my heart and it pains me for both of them.

Share your thoughts on Dennis Mira and the role he's stepping into in Eve's life.

Dennis Mira shows Eve that there are good men who love their children. He is so kind and gentle with Eve. He teaches her a lot about parenting in a subtle way. I love him.

message 40: by Sandra (new)

A scene I think was important to the advancement of Eve & Roarke's relationship is the one where the revisiting of Eve's past causes her to compare her "family" or lack thereof with Roarke's new found family (they had just visited at Thanksgiving). It brings about a scene where she accuses him of "not understanding" because he has found his "loving family". It seemed harsh coming from Eve but she voiced her jealousy over him having what she never had. Her saying, "No one ever loved me - cared about me" just about broke my heart. She feels bad when she's realized what she said to Roarke & apologizes. But I felt this scene cleared the air & stop a sore spot from continuing to fester.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sharon wrote: "Eve brushes Peabody off, but Peabody knows who to call - Roarke! Thoughts on this and the "shower" scene?

Peabody is a good friend. She did the right thing because she knew that Eve doesn't break ..."

I like the analogy of Eve washing away the dirt that is Trudy. Great point, Sharon!

message 42: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments Peabody is the best of friends, she know when to call for help and she always call Roarke who she know will handle Eve

message 43: by Sandra (new)

Do you think Eve's own past experience with "the system" colors her opinion & thus actions when she has to deal with it in cases? (Note: we can only refer to cases from books up to Memory for discussion here.)

message 44: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Do you think Eve's own past experience with "the system" colors her opinion & thus actions when she has to deal with it in cases? (Note: we can only refer to cases from books up to Memory for discu..."

Yes it does color her opinion and actions. She doesn't allow anyone to play the poor me card like Zana. Eve knows that like can be hard in the system, however at some point people make a decision to make something better for themselves or they use their past as an excuse. Eve doesn't buy any excuse. I love when she told Zana that she isn't anything like Eve because Eve would want Trudy to suffer for the rest of her life behind bars.

On the flip side we see Eve show compassion because she can put herself in a characters shoes. More than once she calls Mira in to help a victim or a culprit because she feels their pain.

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2417 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "A scene I think was important to the advancement of Eve & Roarke's relationship is the one where the revisiting of Eve's past causes her to compare her "family" or lack thereof with Roarke's new fo..."

One of my favorite scenes. In my head I think Roarke walks away from Eve more because he feels guilty. When he found his family he expected them to hate him. He is still working through the love they have for him. Also, he knows that they wanted him from the time he was born and came looking for him. Eve didn't have anything like that.

It is good for their relationship that Eve got those negative feelings out in the open. It didn't take her long to realize it was a mean and selfish way for her to feel. I love that Roarke waited for her to come to him in this case. She needed to replay it in her head until she could ask for forgiveness.

message 46: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments This is one of my favorite Christmas time Eve and Rock story. Somerset has been forced to eat was the best for him it's in two of the books I believe one went up rocks or girlfriend shows up and when the killers son of Somerset 's daughter shows up

message 47: by Barbara "Cookie" (new)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments I hate to think it always seems to come off when I'm trying to move backwards I wanted to say I want to say this is one of my favorite Christmas time stories with Eve and Roarke. Summerset shows here more affection for Eve then any other time. He tells Roarke that Eve was the best think for him when his old girlfriend show up and try to brake up his marriage and when the son of the man who kill Summerset's daughter try to kill them

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Spoiler Alert! Open discussions have started.

In Memory, we finally learn what happened to Eve in the period of time between her escaping her father's abuse and her joining the Academy. As Cookie ..."

I did feel sorry for Bobby. I believe he tried to help all the foster children but new the anger of his mother. I am sure Trudy would have done something to Bobby or would punish the foster child he helped even more to punish him.

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments I also thought Roarke handed Trudy with so much finesse. We know he wanted to pummel her but he held back because of his love for Eve.

I also got the answer to my question that Roarke had the diamonds made from the previous book and has given them to Eve. He is so romantic. Her giving him the picture of herself was probably the best Christmas gift he ever got. I really like how the author put so much thought into all the gifts that were given out. How Peabody made the sweaters and Eve not knowing they were made by Peabody is wearing it but after she learns it is home made makes it more precious for Eve.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Eve brushes Peabody off, but Peabody knows who to call - Roarke! Thoughts on this and the "shower" scene?

Eve tells Roarke Trudy is HER problem and he should stay out of. Right or wrong, it hurt a..."

Dennis Mira is the father she never had and he is taking full advantage of that. It was heartfelt when Eve put her head on this shoulder and cried and he just let her and hugged her. That is what a real father would have done regardless that Eve is not his daughter he has taken on the responsibility of foster father.

« previous 1