World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Announcements & Book Promotions > January 2018 Open Group Read - Nominations Open Until 2 January

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Dec 26, 2017 12:28PM) (new)

Alex (asato) January 2018 Open Book of the Month (BoM) Group Read
Welcome to 2018's first Open group read. As usual, this group read is to be selected by you, the members. The Open group read is the conventional group read wherein you can nominate any book.

Note: We also run another group read called the “Lesser-Known Books Group Read". Books by the same author cannot be nominated to both group reads in the same month.

* The nomination process ends on 2 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time. (I believe that this is ample time for people to recover from their New Year's Eve celebrations.)

* The final selection process ends on 8 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

* After the book has been selected, we will also nominate and select a matching film of the month.

If a dispute arises as to the qualifications of a book, then common sense and consensus would prevail. In the case of a deadlock, a moderator decision would be binding.

Nomination Process
1) Each member nominates one qualified book by placing it on the jan-2018-open-bom-noms bookshelf.
Note: An author may nominate their own book.
a) Go to the bookshelf by clicking the bookshelf link:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...
b) Find your book by typing its title in the Add books field and clicking Search.
c) To the right of your book, click either Add to group or Edit.
d) Select the jan-2018-open-bom-noms bookshelf to add your book to by clicking Choose shelves and checking jan-2018-open-bom-nominees. Make sure to also select To Read.
e) Click Close and then Save Group Book.

2) Authors must wait until the 6th month after one of their books has been chosen as a book of the month group read--on either the open or lesser-known group read--before they are eligible for nomination again. For example, for this month's group read, the most recent month for which an author's book could have been the group read is July 2017.

Final Selection Process
To promote the broadest participation possible, we use a form of approval voting. In this voting system, you should vote for all of the books that you want to read. The nominee with the most votes would become the BoM. In this way, you don't need to vote for a book just because you think it will win even though you'd rather read another one. Instead, you can vote for both of them!

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Alex, did you want us to also announce our nominations on this thread, or just add our choice to the book shelf for the Jan 2018 nomination?

message 3: by Alex (last edited Dec 26, 2017 07:58PM) (new)

Alex (asato) The minimum requirement is to add it to the bookshelf, but you may do both if you wish.

message 4: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Then, I would like to announce that I added to the bookshelf for nomination one of my own novels, From The Fields of Crimea to the Sands of Mars From The Fields of Crimea to the Sands of Mars (Time patrol - Nancy Laplante series, #7) by Michel Poulin .

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Great!

message 6: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Uh, I think I responded in the wrong thread, Alex. While I did select for nomination my book for the 'Lesser-known books group read', I meant to also respond on that thread, not this one. Should I delete my messages #2 and 4, or it doesn't matter?

message 7: by Alex (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:24AM) (new)

Alex (asato) You could post in the “lesser known” group read thread if you’d like. I don’t think it makes a material difference whether or not you delete your posts here.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) 3 days left to nominate! Let's bring in the new year with a bevy of exciting nominations to choose from!

The nomination process ends on 2 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) 2 days left to nominate! Let's bring in the new year with a bevy of exciting nominations to choose from!

The nomination process ends on 2 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 10: by Alex (last edited Dec 31, 2017 12:51PM) (new)

Alex (asato) I nominated:
Get Out of Debt Hell I did it, and so can you by Jen Pattison
Get Out of Debt Hell: I did it, and so can you
“How could I have been so stupid?”

That was Jen Pattison’s overwhelming thought when reflecting on too many years of living on the edge with overspending and juggling credit payments. It all collapsed when an unexpected crisis happened in her life. This is a familiar story for many people, and she will help to guide you out of the debt problems that have blighted your life with practical solutions and ways to save money. She will help you to think more deeply about what led you into overspending, by casting a critical eye on the insecurities in modern British life and the subtle and insidious forces that seduce customers into spending on things that they don’t need - aspects that are common in other countries too.

This is a call to everyone struggling with debt to break free of this hell – becoming debt-free will liberate you, improve your life and you will never look back. No matter how much you owe, you can do it!

message 11: by Alex (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:53PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Less than 48 hours left to nominate!

The nomination process ends tomorrow 2 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Less than 24 hours left to nominate!

The nomination process ends today 2 January at 11:59PM Pacific Time.

message 13: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Thanks Alex! I hope that if my book is nominated that readers will find that it goes beyond debt help, as there is a bit of my background in it and also I explore why so many people are overspending - I hope to provide food for thought.

One thing is that it's only for sale on the UK Amazon site seeing as the US tax implications seemed so complicated to me and I can't afford a tax advisor, but there is a way round this; https://www.howtogeek.com/328197/how-...

I've also scheduled a Kindle Countdown promotion, starting at 8am GMT next Friday and I'll post more about that later.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Nice trick. Worked for me.