Play Book Tag discussion

December 2017: Social Issues > The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denizen (last edited Dec 26, 2017 07:54AM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments The One and Only Ivan a Newberry Award winning book was an endearing tale highlighting the issue of roadside zoos that keep exotic animals in subpar conditions. Although the resolution was based on an implausible premise, the book still satisfied. 5 star children's book

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments I need to get this, my granddaughter loved it. I like to share books with my grandchildren.

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5516 comments Denizen wrote: "The One and Only Ivan a Newberry Award winning book was an endearing tale highlighting the issue of roadside zoos that keep exotic animals in subpar conditions. Although the resolut..."

I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was cute and since we both have been reading books about primates, I thought you might enjoy it.

I should have read a children's or young adult for December, the way it went.

message 4: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments I really like this book. It made me so mad and parts of it were sad, though, too. Have you read the true account of Ivan? The author wrote a children's book about the real story. It's called Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla. I recommend it if you haven't.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5643 comments The book is based on a real-life case of a gorilla kept in a cage at a gas station.

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments I really enjoyed this one, as well. Thanks, jenni, for letting us know about the nonfiction book, as well. I hadnt realized there was one.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Do you think it’s a book I can read to my 7-year old?

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8297 comments All my kids heard these as read aloud sis the first to third grade.

message 9: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Jen wrote: "Do you think it’s a book I can read to my 7-year old?"

Most definitely.

message 10: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I really like this book. It made me so mad and parts of it were sad, though, too. Have you read the true account of Ivan? The author wrote a children's book about the real story. It's called [book:..."

I haven't read it Jenni but will definitely look for it.