Time Travel discussion

Short Online Time Travel Films > The Time We're In

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 777 comments this 25-minute short on Amazon Prime is just flat-out wonderful, and explores the same stopping-time territory - in a very different way - as Nicholson Baker's masterpiece The Fermata - my review of the movie http://paullevinson.blogspot.com/2017...

message 2: by Celso (new)

Celso Almeida | 41 comments OMG, "The Fermata" is just so marvelous and sexy!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 777 comments One of my all-time favorites!

message 4: by Celso (new)

Celso Almeida | 41 comments But I'm afraid I disagree with you when you say that "The time we're in" is Science-Fiction... It's a pretty good story, and very touching, but it seems that the main character attains his goal of stopping time just by sheer willpower... just staying "focused on her", in his own words. OK, we see that he is researching about theoretical physics, but I can't see where multiverse theory (the main topic we see him researching) could help him to freeze time (or speed up himself, for that matter).

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 777 comments Well, multiverse theory is based on an interpretation of quantum mechanics, and part of that, proposed by Niels Bohr and generally accepted, is that sheer mental will power can move particles (the subjective "Copenhagen interpretation"). That's science, however bizarre, not magic.

message 6: by Celso (new)

Celso Almeida | 41 comments I'm not saying he used magic, I'm saying he's not using science, either. I want to reiterate I can't see the link between MWI and stopping time. Regarding the Copenhagen Interpretation, I think it's mutually excludent in relation with MWI, am I right?

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (paullev) | 777 comments No, MWI and the Copenhagen Interpretation both derive from the same data - they're different explanations of what's happening, but there's no reason you can't have both (in different settings), and MWI is closely related to the "mentalism" of the Copenhagen interpretation. But to get back to The Time We're In - I would say it's based more on the Copenhagen Interpretation, which is all about mind influencing the behavior of subatomic particles. Stopping time would be a science fictional extension of this principle or effect on the macro level. (I explore this -- mind moving objects on the macro level - in a very different context in my novel, Borrowed Tides