Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Determination Lists - Archive > 2018 Determination List how to

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Dec 24, 2017 12:32PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Donna Jo will post our list of challenges for eighteen books in 2018 later under this new 2018 Determination Lists folder and each of you are free to either add your own new topic thread in this new folder or continue to post yours under Donna Jo's main thread.
We want to use this opportunity to wish each of us here on Goodreads a great year of reading in 2018 with a little fun added in as we challenge ourselves to read something we might not have picked otherwise or to whittle down some of those piles of to be read books.
Suggested steps:
1) Copy the challenge log DonnaJo posted below this in message #2
2) Paste into a new thread of your own and place in this folder
3) Read and have fun posting your progress, repeat.
4) Share your thoughts as the year goes along here and on the new JF/NR thread either Carol or I will start for the new year.

message 2: by Donnajo (last edited Dec 24, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Thank you Ann. Here we go.

2018 Determination Plus Challenge

Let's do this again in 2018 together with one new addition. Have fun.

Books 1-10. Pick 10 books (audios, ebooks, whatever) that you either want to get off your To Be Read owned shelves or books you have been wanting to read for awhile and haven't.

The next 8 books is the Plus part of the challenge almost like a bonus. Below are the 8 categories you need to read a book for.

11. A new author's first book (could be also a new to you author that you haven't read before)

12. A book set in a different country than you live in.

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books (whatever you normally don't read try something out of your comfort zone if you want)

14 & 15. Two books from a series you haven't completed yet (I'm sure we all have those, the books don't have to be the same series if you don't them to be)

16. A book that comes out in 2018.

17. A book that was recommended to you.

18. A book you meant to read in 2017 but never got around to it.

Just remember have fun. You can pick and list your books ahead of time or just as you go along.
I also sent my thread up so I'm ready to get started on my reading challenge journey.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Ann wrote: "Donna Jo will post our list of challenges for eighteen books in 2018 later under this new 2018 Determination Lists folder and each of you are free to either add your own new topic thread in this ne..."

i did it last year, but hate the (self-imposed) pressure of having a determination list! if what i am reading fits in to the categories, i'll do it again this year. maybe..lol

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "Donna Jo will post our list of challenges for eighteen books in 2018 later under this new 2018 Determination Lists folder and each of you are free to either add your own new topic threa..."

Sherry do what you can. It should be fun. If you happen to read something you own or a book or audio that has been on your list for awhile add it. Believe me I don't like the trying to figure out what to put in this spot or that spot. I made it as easy as possible. The top 10 you can really just stick anything in those. I do it because it's my way of reading my own print books. Which we all know I have a large number of unread books. You would think with buying only 2 or 3 times a year or even weeding out ones I'll never read you would think the piles would go down but they don't. I wonder at times if someone is coming in during the night and throwing Miracle Grow on them. LOL. I try and use other books for the plus side of the challenge.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Sherry: I am pretty bad at determination lists and only managed 10 or 11 of the seventeen with almost all of those being the extra credit books. I did find those fun to choose. I think my goal next year is one determination book plus the eight extra credit books. Lol
Sherry wrote: "
i did it last year, but hate the (self-imposed) pressure of having a determination list! if what i am reading fits in to the categories, i'll do it again this year. maybe..lol
"

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments DJ Agreed! It is a good way to whittle down a stack of print books and I was able to do that this year for at least one book. One is progress! I must admit holding a print book in your hand that you just finished is a nice feeling. With so many of my books read on audio i get that less often.

Donnajo wrote: "
I do it because it's my way of reading my own print books. Which we all know I have a large number of unread books. You would think with buying only 2 or 3 times a year or even weeding out ones I'll never read you would think the piles would go down but they don't. I wonder at times if someone is coming in during the night and throwing Miracle Grow on them. LOL. I try and use other books for the plus ....."

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments ok. i'm in. i'll just make what i'm reading work for the list and not stress over it. :)

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments No stressing allowed. Only fun.
I think this week when I know I will be home all day I'm going to go though books in my extra room which I haven't in a while since there is stuff over and front of them and see if any can be weeded out or pull out to use. And might read a chapter in at least 5 like I did in the beginning of last year to start off. Because those books have not been touched in I don't know.

message 9: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 206 comments This sounds fun! I I have a very long TBR list! I am also not opposed to doing specific tasks as I do the Seasonal Reading Challenge and I think it is half the fun is to look for the books to match a task!

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Ceelee wrote: "This sounds fun! I I have a very long TBR list! I am also not opposed to doing specific tasks as I do the Seasonal Reading Challenge and I think it is half the fun is to look for the books to match..."

It's great you will be joining us.

message 11: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 206 comments Looking forward to it! I already posted my challenge post!

message 12: by Tona (new)

Tona I like this challenge. Challenge accepted!!!

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Good luck and have fun. I have not been on track on it lately but hope once I catch up on arcs I will be.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Tona: it is fun to push and read different books or ones we've meant to read sooner. I hope to update my progress now as we approach mid-year.
Tona wrote: "I like this challenge. Challenge accepted!!!"

message 15: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments I'm so sad that I wasn't here for the 2017 challenge of a determination list of 17 books. Oh for the joy of a year in which no one would have asked, "but why 17?!?"

I've already been trying to read some books from my print tbr. I'm going to have a garage sale in the fall and want to read the books I know I won't want to keep so I can sell them. But Kindle books keep getting in the way. I don't carry print books in my purse any more, so I keep finding myself waiting somewhere and starting to read on my Kindle. And then I have to finish reading that book, don't I? The last time I was posting regularly a lot of us, including me, were on the fence about electronic books. Now it's my preferred way to read, so reading down the print pile is going to take some discipline. Have you ever tried to discipline a cat?

So I think I'll make a determination list even though the year is half over. Maybe I'll put eighteen books on it or maybe just seventeen. :P

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Jan O’Cat: I think of your stacks of 17 books every time I stack a book or two (or 15+) together!! Like you, my Kindle reading far overtakes my print reading and on top of that audiobooks have overtaken 60+% of my reading.
My poor book physical stacks don’t stand a chance.

message 17: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments OMalleycat wrote: "I'm so sad that I wasn't here for the 2017 challenge of a determination list of 17 books. Oh for the joy of a year in which no one would have asked, "but why 17?!?"

I've already been trying to rea..."

Ms. O'Cat!! So good to "see" you!! I still prefer my dead tree books. I actually read a Kindle book in May and got through it very quickly. That's not usually the case for me. I lose interest when I'm reading electronically. I try to keep my stacks to 17 at home! You taught us well! ;-)

message 18: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Jan, I think of you with our determination list. I put 18 for the year. I'm bad this year with all the Netgalley books I have to read and review.

message 19: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Melodie said I try to keep my stacks to 17 at home! You taught us well! ;-)

Oh, Melodie, that's not my teaching. That's your inner compass lining up with the universe!

message 20: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Donnajo wrote: "Jan, I think of you with our determination list. I put 18 for the year. I'm bad this year with all the Netgalley books I have to read and review."

I'm glad you were thinking of me! I can't imagine what your tbr is like now with all your review reading.

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments I remember when we were all a little suspicious of electronic books. I didn't do very well with my Kindle(s) but I just recently bought an Amazon Fire and that seems to be just the right size and weight for portability.
Something else you might try, although it isn't kind on the pocketbook, is to buy an electronic version of a book you have at home. That way you can read it while you're out, and pick up where you left off when you get home to the print version. You can borrow electonics also, which cuts out the cost.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Good tips Carol! I read most Kindle books on my phone or Fire tablet. The page turning is more seamless on those over my paperwhite.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I remember when we were all a little suspicious of electronic books. I didn't do very well with my Kindle(s) but I just recently bought an Amazon Fire and that seems to be just the right size and w..."

message 23: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I remember when we were all a little suspicious of electronic books..."

I do most of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. Occasionally I'll use the Kindle app on my iPad, but I find it difficult to navigate. That's due more to my inexperience than any flaws in the program, I think.

It's funny to think how I resisted electronic reading. I honestly thought something would be irretrievably lost to my reading experience without the look, heft, and smell of 'real' books.

Now when reading a physical book I'm constantly whining to myself: the print is too small! It's heavy! I need a better light! I have to find a bookmark! I'll have to wait days for my new book to be shipped.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I remember when we were all a little suspicious of electronic books..."

I do most of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. Occasionally I'll use the Kindle app on my iPad, but ..."

or where's the dictionary? LOL

message 25: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Sherry wrote: "or where's the dictionary? LOL"

Exactly! I can't tell you the number of times I've tapped a word in a print book, hoping to get a definition.

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Sherry wrote: "or where's the dictionary? LOL"

Exactly! I can't tell you the number of times I've tapped a word in a print book, hoping to get a definition."

lol, me too!

message 27: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Donnajo wrote: "Jan, I think of you with our determination list. I put 18 for the year. I'm bad this year with all the Netgalley books I have to read and review."

I'm glad you were thinking of me!..."

So far and I don't have 2 for this month from one publisher and I don't know how many for next book. But I have 30 so far that have to be read before september. I think 5 so far for after that. But to stay in the one group I have to read and review 4 arcs a month but they put out more and I hate not to take them. If I started a series and liked it I want to read the next book. I haven't even gone to the shore bookstore for arcs this summer yet because I can't get caught up with the NetGalley ones. And I still kind of haven't done the last ones I got there (lauren lippmann sunburn and one other)

message 28: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I remember when we were all a little suspicious of electronic books. I didn't do very well with my Kindle(s) but I just recently bought an Amazon Fire and that seems to be just the right size and w..."

Tell me about it. I'm the anti kindle or was and look where all the arcs I'm reading are. Kindle. I just wish I could read the fire outside.

Carol I've done that with non arc ones got the library book out and broke up the time between reading the ebook version and the library print version. Last weekend it was great reading the large print library book because I've been pushing my way though the arcs and I'm at the stage that seems to be all I've reading. plus I feel I can't give them the time I should be because I have so many so feel like I'm rushed at times. So it was nice pushing though the library book because I wanted to take it back on monday. Even though the whole time I was reading it I was thinking to myself I should be reading the arcs. the only time inside I was reading the library book was sunday night and monday morning to finish it up. The rest was outside reading. large print helped a lot.

message 29: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I remember when we were all a little suspicious of electronic books..."

I do most of my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. Occasionally I'll use the Kindle app on my iPad, but ..."

I got back and forth between the two iPads during the day (mini and new regular newer one) and the fire gets read at night when I turn the lights out except usually I fall right asleep.
It's still on my mind to use 2 xmas gift certificates to get a new nook if I do maybe the kindle app will go on that and possible I can read it outside. I haven't even taken the nooks to the shore since memorial day weekend I think. And it was only the glow plus. maybe I should check to see if I can put the kindle app on that it probably would help with outside reading because I can do it on that. Never thought of trying that.

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Determination lists can be fun or a drag if the books you are determined to read don’t meet expectations. I am not usually able to get to the ones I “think” I should read because so many other good ones keep coming up in my queue. It’s all about not forgetting the ones I do really hate to miss.

message 31: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3589 comments That is why I don't set a list ahead. Right n ow I have maybe a few print owned books. I even just read some of two different books. neither is really grabbing me or it's not ones that call me. Those I'm sure I finish I'm about 1/2 way though both of them. I have a list of of 16 print owned books started. not far in most. probably not more than a page or two or a chapter in some. So really I shouldn't count them but at the time it was any with a bookmark in and I know I removed a few bookmarks if I wasn't that far. In 2019 I was thinking maybe I'll add the extra book to the bottom maybe another book from a series and keep the top 10 the same.

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments DJ: the top ten are the hardest, probably because they are a blank slate so adding to the bottom of the list with a specific type of book sounds easier for 2019.