Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

The Library - Books and Books > Is Richard Swinburne over-hyped?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zachary (new)

Zachary Lawson (zacharytlawson) | 2 comments I’ve heard good things about Swinburne, but having read two of his books (“Evolution of the Soul”, “Mind, Brain, & Free Will”) and listened to and handful of lectures on YouTube, I don’t get the hype. His arguments seem fragile and unconvincing. Have I just gotten a bad sample of his work or is he genuinely over-hyped?

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I've heard of him. But I think you figured him out.

message 3: by Ned (new)

Ned | 206 comments I've heard him mentioned, but have not read him. Based on this summary of one of his views -- "Christian philosopher Richard Swinburne rejects the Moral Argument for God because, he thinks, moral truths are necessarily true, and so the existence of God cannot have an effect on their truth" -- I don't have to know much more to dismiss him.

message 4: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments I agree, Ned. Knocking the moral argument from our apologetic is what the enemy does, not fellow believers.

message 5: by Eclaghorn (new)

Eclaghorn | 10 comments can moral truths and God both be basic, i.e. necessarily true? is being necessarily true mean arguments are wrong or superfluous?