EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS > Choosing from my "to-read" list.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) (sadsunday) Hello. I know it's too much to ask, but can you throw a quick look into my "to-read" list and recommend something? I think I have tons of books, but right now I am having hard time choosing my next read. I am not very picky in terms of genre, topic and etc. Just looking for something interesting (I am sure I have it on my list!). I can recommend something for you too. Thank you! And Merry Christmas! :O)

Link: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 2: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 7 comments You have a few books on your tbr that I've read and given 4 or 5* to - maybe this will help you narrow it down, or maybe the next person to reply can turn this into an even shorter list!

Beartown
A Room With A View
The Girl With All The Gifts
The Golem And The Jinni
Jane Steele
In The Woods
Fahrenheit 451
To Kill A Mockingbird

My top recommendations from that lot would be Beartown, In The Woods and The Golem and the Jinni.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emilissa15) Kushiel's Dart is one of my favorite books ever

message 5: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1863 comments Mod
Depends on what you feel like.

Read along with the group? Read
Dark Matter, but be quick, it's this month's reading. :-)

Graphic novel? Read
Maus
Extraordinary, heavy as anything on the Holocaust, but a great story, and we have to remember that.

Historic fiction? Read
Sword Song

Short reading? Read
The Giving Tree
Excelent little book, meant for young readers, but good for any age.

Present day mistery writer? Read
In the Woods

Fantasy? Read
The Ocean at the end of the lane
I don't read much fantasy, but this was a great reading.

Great writers?
Well, you have García Márquez, Virginia Woolf, H G Wells, D H Lawrence.

And, of course, Farenheit 451.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I can highly recommend

-All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries)
-Hyperbole and a Half
-The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

message 7: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) (sadsunday) Thank you!

message 8: by Jiffy (new)

Jiffy | 12 comments I didn't go all the way through your list, but To Kill a Mockingbird and The Light Between Oceans are both very good.

message 9: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) (sadsunday) I seen "The Light Between Oceans" as a movie, so I had some doubts about reading the book (I think seeing the movie first spoils the fun).

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 203 comments I'd be interested in Buddy Reading Mrs. Dalloway in the next couple months!

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 11 comments Sorry if this is coming way too late, but I thought I'd add my two cents here.

If you're looking for a light, funny, and quirky read, I'd recommend: Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

If you're looking for a somewhat serious book that you want to get immersed in and take a long, journey with, I'd recommend: The Goldfinch. It's a beautiful book, although it's not action-based or plot heavy. It's a book that you should take your time with.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I would recommend:
I Am the Messenger
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
To Kill a Mockingbird

message 13: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) (sadsunday) Thank you, all three. Now it will be easier to get my priorities in order :D

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danintennessee) 'Golem and the Jinni' is destined to become a classic. So well written. It's a page-turner as well. It has the feel of a fantasy adventure story while at the same time it has the tone of 'a Tree Grows in Brooklyn.'

message 15: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 536 comments The Bat (Jo Nesbo) and Fahrenheit 451 are group reads in February for the mystery group and this group (respectively).

I didn't get through your whole list, but I spotted a few that I would highly recommend. They are all interesting and special in some way
Eleanor Oliphant is Fine (great story, with some similar themes to A man called Ove)
The Ocean and the End of the Lane (fantasy adventure)
To Kill a Mockingbird (it's a classic for good reason),
The Nightingale (WWII, better than anything else by this author imo),

The Girl with all the Gifts (SciFi, Horror, fantasy) was very interesting and unique but a bit gory for my tastes.

I agree with the comments above about the Giving Tree (everyone should read this lovely short book at some point), and the Goldfinch (excellent but long)

I agree with you about the Light between Oceans.

FYI in case you didn't know, you can sort your list by average rating to get a sense of which books a lot of other people liked. I wish I could sort your list by books that I have read.

message 16: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) (sadsunday) Daniel, finishing Golem and Jinni right now, what a wonderful story! thank you!

NancyJ, I do the sorting thing sometimes, but well, what many love, sometime I hate. Nevertheless - I heard they are making a Goldfinch movie, so, I will have time to read it. Thank you for taking time and the recommendations!

message 17: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danintennessee) Awesome! Glad you liked it.

message 18: by Nawar (new)

Nawar Fireheart (fireheart5) Read The Immortal Rules I remember loving it in school

message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy Capricorn | 95 comments Beartown!

To Kill a Mockingbird