Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > 2018 Popsugar Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2859 comments Mod
To share ideas and help on the new challenge.

message 2: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments I have no idea what "Nordic Noir" even is :) That will take some googling.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 50 comments Narilka wrote: "I have no idea what "Nordic Noir" even is :) That will take some googling."

I think it's stuff like Jo Nesbø's The Snowman (on my TBR, yay!) or Stieg Larsson's Milennium series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.).
Hope that helps.

message 4: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments Ahh. Yep, Scandinavian crime fiction. Ok, that makes it much easier to find something.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1644 comments I am up for this challenge - sounds like fun.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1644 comments What is a celebrity book club?

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 50 comments Sandy wrote: "What is a celebrity book club?"

Like the "Oprah" book club.

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (elleay) | 49 comments Sandy wrote: "What is a celebrity book club?"

Something like the Oprah Book Club.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1644 comments Anyone have any titles for an allegory?

message 10: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2806 comments Mod
Narilka wrote: "I have no idea what "Nordic Noir" even is :) That will take some googling."

Me, neither, but I found some on Listopia.

message 11: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Sandy wrote: "Anyone have any titles for an allegory?"

Animal Farm, Watership Down, Flatland; The Pilgrim's Regress, which is more religious

message 12: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Does anyone besides Oprah have a book club? (I'm kind of suspicious of anyone in TV running a book club.)

message 13: by Elle (last edited Dec 23, 2017 06:56PM) (new)

Elle (elleay) | 49 comments Audrey wrote: "Does anyone besides Oprah have a book club? (I'm kind of suspicious of anyone in TV running a book club.)"

Emma Watson - Our Shared Shelf
Lena Dunham - Lenny Letter
Reese Witherspoon - #RWBookClub

Found them here: https://www.brit.co/online-celebrity-...

message 14: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 50 comments Audrey wrote: "Does anyone besides Oprah have a book club? (I'm kind of suspicious of anyone in TV running a book club.)"

I understand your suspicions, but Oprah has some surprisingly good picks, such as The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (which also won the Pulitzer and is awesome, in a magical realism way), The Road by Cormac McCarthy (another Pulitzer winner), and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (also magical realism; won the Nobel, not the Pulitzer), which is on my TBR and will be my choice.

message 15: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Oprah doesn't pick enough sci fi/fantasy for me, lol.

message 16: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 50 comments Yeah, those three were the closest I found. Still, I would and will recommend The Underground Railroad to anyone, and it has some awesome time-travel and/or alternate reality stuff going on.

message 17: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

At a suggestion, #10 under advanced is a book recommended by someone else taking the challenge. Should we start suggesting those to each other? Although James did that with The Underground Railroad certainly.

message 18: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 50 comments Holy crud, I did! That was not intentional.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1644 comments I am good for suggestions - I just listened to The Road - unfortunately this was abridged and very depressing but the prose was exceptional.

message 20: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1729 comments Audrey wrote: "Does anyone besides Oprah have a book club? (I'm kind of suspicious of anyone in TV running a book club.)"

Felicia Day has a GR bookclub. Vaginal Fantasy. I belong to a RL meetup for this group.

message 21: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Felicia Day is pretty damn cool. I had no idea she had a club on here. I may have to look for that.

message 22: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1729 comments Wayland wrote: "Felicia Day is pretty damn cool. I had no idea she had a club on here. I may have to look for that."

Yeah, check it out. It's pretty fun.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1644 comments Shawnie wrote: "Audrey wrote: "Does anyone besides Oprah have a book club? (I'm kind of suspicious of anyone in TV running a book club.)"

Felicia Day has a GR bookclub. Vaginal Fantasy. I belong to a RL meetup fo..."

How does one find this bookclub?

message 25: by C.E.C. (new)

C.E.C. (milanesa) | 13 comments For #24, the Sun does count as a weather element, right? :s

message 26: by C.E.C. (new)

C.E.C. (milanesa) | 13 comments Also, hum, do I have to start the books in 2018? Because I really want to start one of the books now, and it's a long-ish book so at least half of it I'll be reading in 2018?

message 27: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

I'd argue sunny weather or whatever would count, sure. If it's the sun as in space, no, not quite.

Yes, all books must be started and finished in 2018.

message 28: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 50 comments Is there no widget this time around?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.