CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2017 > Turtle Island Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (last edited Dec 22, 2017 07:52PM) (new)

Louise | 1585 comments I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so Susan please feel free to move my comment somewhere else that is more appropriate.

I know many of us are chomping at the bit for Canada Reads so I want to point out a Montreal event called Turtle Island Reads that started last year and has become a yearly event. It is modeled after Canada Reads where 3 Indigenous advocates defend 3 books written by Indigenous authors. And it is hosted by Waubgeshig Rice.

I attended the event live last year as it took place at a nearby reserve and it was fantastic. Last year's books were Indian Horse, Nobody Cries at Bingo and The Back of the Turtle.

Sadly I was unable to attend this year's event, that took place at McGill University, but the show was livestreamed on CBC and on FB and is still available for viewing by clicking this link: https://www.facebook.com/CBCMontreal/....

The books that were defended this year were Bearskin Diary, Son of a Trickster and This Accident of Being Lost: Songs and Stories. So while we await Canada Reads with bated breath, this is an excellent variation to keep us happy, and the discussions are far more polite :-)

And as an aside, they donate all 3 books to the 125 English school libraries throughout Quebec which I think is fantastic!

message 2: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 607 comments Thanks for the link and information, I will be checking this out. I have only read Son of A Trickster so now have more to add to my pile. Love that they distribute the books to all the schools- great program!

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4275 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing Louise!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments Oh let's follow this! My goal this year is to read an indigenous book every month. I came pretty close this year