Read As Many Pages As You Can Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Approach to the challenge 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam Glasbrenner, Supreme Ruler (last edited Dec 22, 2017 12:04PM) (new)

Sam Glasbrenner (Sassyowlreads) (sassyowlreads) | 42 comments Mod
How is everyone planning to meeting their reading goal? Are you doing another challenge at the same time? Will you look at your bookshelves and decide to finally tackle the biggest, baddest books you have? Will you read whatever strikes your fancy in the moment? Or something else entirely?

My general plan is to do the SFFBC Challenge https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... to finally whittle down the number of books I own and haven't read, and the TBR Cleanup Challenge https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and make as many of those books ones I own as well.

I like to read multiple books at a time with at least one book in print, digital, and audio formats. I don't own many ebooks and no audiobooks so for these formats I will primarily be reading whatever strikes my fancy. I'm not going to take either of the above challenges very seriously. I mostly wanted something to use as a guide when deciding what books I want to tackle.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Hi Sam,

I've got a spreadsheet that keeps track of which books and how many pages I've read. It also tells me if I'm on track or if I need to read more or bigger books. As long as I'm on track I know I can still reach my target. If I'm running low, I know I need to read bigger books.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I am in several challenges; however, for this challenge, I must read 83 pages a day to reach my goal of 30,000. I do have a few tomes on my list for this year, but I find it easier to just do the page per day breakdown.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (dakterpeppir) I am doing 4 different reading challenges (AtY, BR, and Popsugar, plus one me and my mom made up to do together). I made a list of all the books I want to read for them, and taking as many as possible from the 1001 books to read before you die list which I'm also working on. I don't pick books based on pages, but this year I picked a surprising number of large books. We'll see how it goes.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments I'm doing 2 challenges...I'll be posting my progress when I finish each book. I have no idea what my daily ratio will be, since I don't have a specific goal yet for pages, but I'm going to see how high a number I will get to. Looking forward to seeing what everyone reads and how much!!

message 6: by Lars (last edited Jan 06, 2018 05:18AM) (new)

Lars (herodotvonhalikarnassos) | 12 comments I'm not doing any challenges this year, consequently I will approach the page count with a laissez-faire attitude. I'm going read what I want to read, and see how far this will get me. However, I will try to keep a balance between reading fiction and non-fiction and I will try to read books in all the languages I speak, which will be easy for English and German, harder in French and difficult in Latin [Let's see if I can get through 'Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis' XD].
I'm not going to spend much time on counting the pages, so I will stick to the goodreads count, and add the page count from those books that goodreads doesn't list [happens with some books by smaller German publishers, every now and then.]. My reason for this is that pages don't mean anything: a page can have not a single word on it [pictures, etc.], or it can have 500-600 words on it. Therefore. I'm not going to make the extra effort for a painstakingly 'accurate' level of detail.

message 7: by Sheneve (new)

Sheneve Butler | 2 comments I'm in two other Goodreads groups. One is a book club and the other is for the Book Riot hard reader challenge. Between the two of them plus all the books in my to read shelf, I should make my goal.

message 8: by Abbie (new)

Abbie I am in a ton of challenges! I am addicted to them....

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.