Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Buddy reads

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3365 comments Mod
A post in another folder got me thinking, yes I do that occasionally, when there is no fluff in my ears. Someone suggested a 'buddy read'. While I don't really promote them I have no objection to them.

The way I understand it, you read the same book and comment on it.

Also, I think this folder would be a good place to post if you want to do one, start a discussion with the book as the topic and then just have fun reading and discussing the book with your buddy reader.

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments Just got mine in the mail. Ready, willing and able!!!

message 3: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "Just got mine in the mail. Ready, willing and able!!!"

What did you get, Fishface? If I have it I could be your buddy. Don't really want to buy any as I have so many already.

How do we start? Just post something we want to read and see if anyone wants to join in?

message 4: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Koren wrote: "How do we start? Just post something we want to read and see if anyone wants to join in? "

Yes, actually there is a buddy read going on with Don't tell a soul.

message 5: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Koren wrote: "How do we start? Just post something we want to read and see if anyone wants to join in? "

Yes, actually there is a buddy read going on with Don't tell a soul."

OK. I see it but my library does not have it. Hopefully, will join in later.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments You'll want to read this one sooner or later. It's super twisted.

message 7: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments So, Fishface,
How is a buddy read different from a monthly challenge?

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments I'm not sure, honestly. It wasn't my idea. The main difference seems to be that we are all reading the SAME book and discussing it instead of picking a general topic and reading various books related to that.

message 9: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

What Fishface said.

message 10: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "I'm not sure, honestly. It wasn't my idea. The main difference seems to be that we are all reading the SAME book and discussing it instead of picking a general topic and reading various books relat..."

I would say the main difference is that we can start a discussion at any time and have several going at once, unlike a monthly challenge that begins and ends at a certain time.

message 11: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "You'll want to read this one sooner or later. It's super twisted."

I'm sure I will. I love M. William Phelps but usually can get them from paperbackswap.

message 12: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Would anyone like to read Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas by John Hubner with me?

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments Koren wrote: "Would anyone like to read Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas by John Hubner with me?"

I've always meant to get to that one...

message 14: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "Koren wrote: "Would anyone like to read Monkey on a Stick: Murder, Madness and the Hare Krishnas by John Hubner with me?"

I've always meant to get to that one..."

The title certainly jumps out at you. I can send it to you when I'm done.

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments Please do!!!

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "Please do!!!"
I'm up to page 40. I think you will like it.

message 17: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 123 comments I just ordered it from PBS. It hasn't been sent yet, but I got a copy! Yay

message 18: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments I'm sad to say I'm not liking this book so much, although around chapter 32, when Mr Phelps goes into Ms Cargill's background it's better writing. Prior to that there's too much reporting of conversations, as if the author was a fly on the wall. I don't like that in a true crime book. I prefer more distance between the author and the subject.
Cargill is certainly a piece of work, though.

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments All too often, TC is a matter of "thou shalt not read this book for its prose." That's a major reason I like the older books, which were produced by real publishing houses with skilled copy editors on staff -- not slapped together for an online vanity press.

message 20: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments You are so right, Fishface.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm interested in reading Evil Beside Her and a Warrant to Kill is anyone interested

message 22: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Josh wrote: "I'm interested in reading Evil Beside Her and a Warrant to Kill is anyone interested"

Read them both quite a while ago.

message 23: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments I finished "Don't tell a Soul", and have to say I wasn't much impressed with it. The story was good, intriguing, but so straight forward (i.e. only one suspect, with a compelling motive, the timeline was easy to figure out, and the suspect had such an obvious history of violence when she didn't get her way) that the author didn't need 400+ pages.. He just kept saying the same things over and over.
I'll give M William Phelps another try, though. Didn't care for his writing, either.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

would you like to read one of those with me

message 25: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Josh wrote: "would you like to read one of those with me"

If you're asking me, I dont care to read them again. I have about 200 in my TBR pile so I dont usually read them twice. Just saying I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

thank you can I ask you a question

message 27: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Josh wrote: "thank you can I ask you a question"

Sure. Wont guarantee that I know the answer.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

listen, I like to cuss when I talk about books with my friends are you OK with that

message 29: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Josh wrote: "listen, I like to cuss when I talk about books with my friends are you OK with that"

I cant speak for anyone else, but for myself I would say it isn't necessary. I didn't think it was allowed here. I'm pretty sure it wasn't allowed on Shelfari. But while reading the reviews for the new book Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House I see there were quite a few cuss words.

message 30: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I would prefer this group stay PG, if I see a post with too many or very harsh profanity in it I will delete them.

message 31: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments I have a lot of fun finding ways to sweat without breaking that rule. Pogo comix are a great help.

message 32: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments SWEAR, not sweat. Cheesus grits.

message 33: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "SWEAR, not sweat. Cheesus grits."

Good scrod.

message 34: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments Like, totally!

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Fishface wrote: "Like, totally!"

At least one person here totally gets you.

message 36: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Like, totally!"

At least one person here totally gets you."

message 37: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Like, totally!"

At least one person here totally gets you."

"

Holy Mackeral!!!

message 38: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12114 comments

message 39: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.