Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > Best group read of the year?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8311 comments Mod
Which was your favourite out of our group reads this year? To refresh your memory about the books we have read, here is our group reads shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

My favourite was A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey, which made me fall in love with her writing. I also really liked The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart.

My least favourite was probably The Annam Jewel, though I do always enjoy Patricia Wentworth's writing style.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9295 comments Mod
I never re-read Fer-de-Lance as I never liked it the first time, I didn't like The Circular Staircase either and I struggled (as we all did, I think!) with The Annam Jewel.

Favourites: The Case of the Gilded Fly, The Crime at Black Dudley and Crooked House

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1270 comments I guess The Case of the Gilded Fly and it got me hooked on Crispin.

Ten were re-reads for me (11 if we count Full Dark House), but I didn't always re-read all of them because I'd read them too recently - Circular Staircase, Crooked House, Black Plumes, The Red House, A Man Lay Dead, Hallowe'en Party, Fer-de-Lance, Grey Mask, Trent's Last Case and Crime at Black Dudley,

message 4: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 722 comments I came to the group late (October?) but loved re-reading the Miss Marples At Bertram's Hotel and Nemesis - I'd almost forgotten just how good Christie is!

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 701 comments For me it’s between Death at the President's Lodging and The Case of the Gilded Fly—both rereads for me, both favorite authors.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9295 comments Mod
Good to see Edmund Crispin Edmund Crispin was so popular :) I think we need to read another next year. Holy Disorders is the second in the series...

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Jan C wrote: "I guess The Case of the Gilded Fly and it got me hooked on Crispin.

Ten were re-reads for me (11 if we count Full Dark House), but I didn't always re-read all of them ..."

9 were rereads for me and I didn't reread most of them (though I did reread Death at the President's Lodging and The Case of the Gilded Fly - both favorite authors of mine too Abigail!). Maybe my favorite was A Shilling for Candles. Of the new-to-me books, I think that this month's book, The Crime at the Noah's Ark, was the best.

One reason I didn't reread many of the group reads was that I was rereading the Miss Marple books - I really enjoyed reading them in the order we did.

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 701 comments Great taste, Leslie! {smirk}