Horror Aficionados discussion

Lists & Reading Challenges > HA's 2018 Public Domain Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Char (last edited Dec 21, 2017 06:01AM) (new)

Char  | 13729 comments Mod
Welcome to the first ever Horror Aficionados Public Domain Challenge!

How this works: anything goes as long as it’s in the public domain. Short stories, audio, anything! You set a goal of how many titles you want to read during the year then come here and discuss and/or share your review. I think this is going to be a lot of fun and we’ll uncover some hidden gems along the way!

Any genre is eligible for this challenge, it doesn't have to be horror only!

message 2: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10692 comments Mod
I’m setting my goal at 12. Surely I can manage one a month!

message 3: by Char (new)

Char  | 13729 comments Mod
Good luck, Latasha!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I sent mine at 4. This is gonna be fun :)

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Thanks Charlene. I think it will be Rachel. I end up reading and listening to a lot public domain stories. The first one I’m going to listen to this year is Wilkie Collin’s Woman in White.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I almost never do, so this will be a good challenge for me!

Ohh, where do you find the audio for that? YouTube?

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. | 3 comments I have tons of public domain titles on my Kindle that I've been wanting to read. Setting a low goal of 3 since they tend to burn me out if I read too many. I'm not entirely sure which ones I'll read, but I'm thinking Candide will be the first :)

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Rachel wrote: "I almost never do, so this will be a good challenge for me!

Ohh, where do you find the audio for that? YouTube?"

Yeah I’d say you can find it on there. I usually listen listen to LibraVox recordings. I find them on iTunes.

message 9: by Latasha (new)

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. wrote: "I have tons of public domain titles on my Kindle that I've been wanting to read. Setting a low goal of 3 since they tend to burn me out if I read too many. I'm not entirely sure which ones I'll rea..."

Oh yeah, I can understand and see that happening.

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1873 comments I was going to try this one, and realized that I have too many challenges going, but not enough public domain books. alas, I shall fix that. :D

message 11: by Jon Recluse (last edited Dec 25, 2017 12:03AM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Got a few public domain books, so I'm in for 10.

message 12: by Latasha (new)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...

this is the version of the woman in white I'll be listening to Rachel.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

Also, Kumar and I will be reading The House by the Churchyard starting jan. 15th

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Kady (new)

Kady Monroe | 20 comments I'll set my goal at 4 for the moment.

GCB-LovesGoodBooks | 6 comments Hello everyone!

I set my goal to 25.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments What does public domain mean? Are they books that can be accessed free of charge? Like I read The Iliad in 2017, I downloaded a free copy to my Kindle.

Silly question! But then again if I don't know the answer then it's not a silly question, haha.

message 17: by Latasha (new)

Yep, that’s exactly it. They are usually so old they are now free lol

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments Brilliant, thanks Latasha. I'm not quite as dim as I thought I was!!

message 20: by lovechan (new)

lovechan (lovechandesu) i do binge reading

message 21: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 215 comments Am in for 12, but have a lot of challenges going on.

message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate_writes) | 6 comments This looks like fun ~ I'm in for 9 books :)

message 23: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 270 comments I'll aim for six books, anything less wouldn't be a challenge, but I think anything more would be too hard.

message 24: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3442 comments I will be in on this too and I am going to set my challenge to 5 as I have some of these books on my kindle, so been waiting to get around to reading them. Now I don't have an excuse! lol :)

message 25: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments I will try this one... never thought much about Public Domain (I guess because there isn't a proper translation for that in my language ^^), but I was that Amazon.de has got some of them too and as I "stole" my husband's kindle, because he didn't use it anymore, I will give this a try, but starting with just 4 books...

message 26: by Myst (new)

Myst | 398 comments I've been trying to read 1 classic per month for the past 2 years. This year I got 14 read.

Last year I did 22, but many were short.

message 27: by Mike (new)

Mike (nmpreach) | 15 comments I'm in. Horror? Yes! Public Domain? Even better. Mark me down for 12, although I hope to read more.

message 28: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I'll try for 10.

message 29: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2389 comments I’ll carve out a spot here too. Let’s see if I can do five.

message 30: by Latasha (last edited Jan 13, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

started The Woman in White today.

EDIT 1/13/18 well, I'm done. I didn't actually finish it and gave it 2 stars. it just kept going & going & going. I couldn't take it anymore. I doubt i'll read anything else by Mr. Collins unless it's a SHORT story.

message 31: by Latasha (new)

I'm going through my to read list and picking stuff out for the rest of the year. I really recommend this one. it's a short story.The Voice in the Night. it's so good! but look at this one I found on my list lol
The Blood of the Vampire

message 32: by Latasha (new)

English Fairy Tales is my pick for February

message 33: by Jay (new)

Jay (okay_jay) | 215 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm going through my to read list and picking stuff out for the rest of the year. I really recommend this one. it's a short story.The Voice in the Night. it's so good! but look at t..."

Thanks for that rec, Latasha! Just read it and loved it. Am now 1/12.

message 34: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 747 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm going through my to read list and picking stuff out for the rest of the year. I really recommend this one. it's a short story.The Voice in the Night. it's so good! but look at t..."

Thanks for the suggestion, Latasha - owned and added. Hopefully I will get to it soon!

message 35: by Latasha (new)

glad you liked it James and hope u do too Anne.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments I am going to set my goal for this one at 12. Should be pretty easy to reach.

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismccaffrey) | 582 comments Wow. Already read 3/12

The Magician
The Red Badge of Courage
The Dubliners

message 38: by Latasha (new)

Woohoo! Your on a roll!

message 39: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Just started The Scarlet Pimpernel.

I already knew my history education was terrible, but I didn't think I'd need to go to Wikipedia from the first chapter.

message 40: by Latasha (new)

Oh dear!! I bet I would have to as well.

message 41: by Latasha (new)

Jason, I deleted your comment. It had nothing to do with this thread and it was self promoting. You can promote your blog here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 42: by Latasha (new)

I started my February public domain read, English Fairy Tales yay!

message 43: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Latasha wrote: "I started my February public domain read, English Fairy Tales yay!"

Sounds good :)
I read Faust: First Part in January And it's what you would call public domain here in Germany (our term for that isn't quite the same and the law is somewhat different, but it's for free and that's the main point I think).
But I own an actual copy of it so it didn't feel like a public domain read ^^

I just started The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig' and it's really good so far.

Do you know this site: http://www.gutenberg.org
(I guess/hope this leads you to the english Version. It looks a bit messy but there are tons of eBooks in different formats.
Also I discovered the App serial reader which is perfect for in between. :)

message 44: by Latasha (new)

Yes, I know that site. They have apps as well.

message 45: by Latasha (new)

Oh yay! Willam Hope Hodges! Is it good so far?

message 46: by Feli (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Latasha wrote: "Yes, I know that site. They have apps as well."

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for mentioning.

Yes, it is. Really enjoying it. Ships and ghosts and lurking monsters ❤️

message 47: by Latasha (new)

That sounds really fun.

message 48: by Latasha (new)

Latasha wrote: "I started my February public domain read, English Fairy Tales yay!"

I finished this today. most of these you've heard or some variation of them. but it was fun to revisit the stories. I love fairy tales!

message 49: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments Feli wrote: "Also I discovered the App serial reader which is perfect for in between. :)"

Just checked that out, sounds neat.

message 50: by isanythingopen (new)

isanythingopen | 21 comments I'll play. There are suggestions here I've not come across.
Shinies!

« previous 1 3