Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Your top excuses for going into a Book Store, new or used

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 175 comments There just "happens" to be a used bookstore next to the medical clinic we use. Oh and one next to one of my favorite grocery stores. One just a block from my work that I happen to walk by. It was a tiny little house in a former life and when you climb its narrow stairs and look at the children's books under the gabled roof, life just seems right.

That's not even mentioning the Chapters that is always too close at hand. The husband and I always gravitate in there after date lunches.

And, well, *clears throat* the kids always need more books to read.

What excuses have you used for going into book stores in the past?

Elizabeth (Alaska) You need an excuse? How about I like books, I wonder what might be interesting.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Just love to peruse the books even if I can't buy any. Would rather go in a bookstore than any other store. Plus, there is one independent bookstore right on my way home from work. There is a bookstore at my favorite outlet mall (favorite because the outlet bookstore is there!) ha

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
LOL @ the kids excuse. I'll have to remember that. There is a half price books by our movie theatre and favorite sandwich shop and I always find some reason I need to go in after a date. I love to look at their collection of 1st editions and vintage books so that is my favorite excuse to see if they got any more in

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) My excuse is, "Well, I don't have to buy anything....I can just look!" I never "just look," I am totally bummed if I leave a bookstore empty handed! I just love the smell of a bookstore, don't you?

message 6: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennemarietheresa) | 175 comments Monica wrote: "My excuse is, "Well, I don't have to buy anything....I can just look!" I never "just look," I am totally bummed if I leave a bookstore empty handed! I just love the smell of a bookstore, don't you?"

LOVE the smell, yes. the one store by my grocery actually has handmade wooden bookshelves which adds to the delicious aroma plus an impressive collection of author's photos with autographs displayed the same way the books are. according to genre.

message 7: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) the best one is - its raining I better find somewhere to wait out the shower (...this even works when it just looks like rain and when the bookstore is still at least 5 minutes away!). I live in the North East of England - we get a lot of rain!

Ally

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments I need to get out of the house.

The bookstore near my house is relatively quiet and not terribly crowded during the times I choose to wander its aisles. It's a good place to venture when I absolutely need to break out of the house and into a different reading area. You can BET I'll be there come Sep for my S&S&Sea Monsters book!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite place to escape to at lunch time. Just the smell makes me feel better!

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) "Hi, my name is Rose and I am a bookaholic."
(It's a disease I tell ya! LOL)

message 11: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Lets see, a little while ago it got really hot here, 100+ degrees, and one day I just had to go into Borders to cool off because they were airconditioned.

But my worst problem is going into online bookstores, just browsing into Amazon or over to Paperback Swap, just because I have a minute to kill on the computer.

message 12: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (wwwgoodreadscomrooonuma) | 59 comments Things I say to my husband:

Oh, look, it has two floors
Oh, they have a coffee shop
Oh yea, 20% of
Well, I haven't been to this one before
I haven't gotten a new book in a while
It won't hurt to look
I will read it, I promise....
PLEASE, Oh PLEASE!
You're not my friend *POUT*

message 13: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments Allhug wrote: "the best one is - its raining I better find somewhere to wait out the shower (...this even works when it just looks like rain and when the bookstore is still at least 5 minutes away!). I live in th..."

and it's free...right? well at least it is until you actually take the book to the clerk to ring it up!

message 14: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments Rose wrote: ""Hi, my name is Rose and I am a bookaholic."
(It's a disease I tell ya! LOL)"

Well, Hello Rose. My name is Joyce I am a 2nd generation bookaholic. It is deep in my gene pool!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) I don't even have to make excuses anymore! I never try to tell myself I'll just look, cause I know better. And my boyfriend has just learned that if there's a bookstore nearby, we're probably going to stop there to check it out, whether it's an old or new store, whether I'm looking for a certain book or not. He lets me browse around as long as I want without comlaint -and when I'm reallllly lucky, he even buys a book for me!

Gosh I'm a lucky girl!! :o)

message 16: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
teri wrote: "I have to pee."

LMAO

message 17: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments Now I can use the excuse that I am looking for my book on their shelves! Nobody can fault an author for looking for her own book, right????

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments "I just want to"

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments oh, and the one that I tell my boys when they ask "why do you want to go to a bookstore?".......... Cause I can!

message 20: by Caltman (new)

Caltman | 6 comments "There's a Starbucks in there and I need my fix"

message 21: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5 comments Monica wrote: "My excuse is, "Well, I don't have to buy anything....I can just look!" I never "just look," I am totally bummed if I leave a bookstore empty handed! I just love the smell of a bookstore, don't you?"

Yes! But more than that I love the calmness and the quiet that always seem to reign in bookstores. And like Sarah, I don't need to make excuses either, although my boyfriend laughs at me instead of bying me books...:)

message 22: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments No excuses. I don't need to explain myself to anyone else! :)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) My only excuse is "Just to look." :P

message 24: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Because it's there! And I have to pee. :)