Axis Mundi X discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed for the Winter > Name that tune?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

shellyindallas This is random but today my boyfriend and I went for a walk and some weirdo on the trail was playing a trumpet. This immediately made me think of a popular trumpet instrumental from the 70s. I hummed it to my boyfriend but he had no idea. The only name I could think of was Herb Alpert. But after some exhaustive and extensive sampling of his songs on itunes I realized it wasn't him it was Chuck Mangione. The song is called 'feels so good' and I swear it's from a 70s TV show but I cannot for the life of me think of it. I even did some googling but this specific song as a TV theme isn't coming up. Am I wrong? Does anyone know?

message 2: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
Shelly, it is indeed called "Feels So Good"... wow, that's a blast from the past. Let's all do The Hustle!

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments Just don't rock the boat (rock the boat, baby)...

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Kirk, yer such a Freak...c'est chick!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ah, Ko, the year of my birth.

message 6: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) The year of your birth???? Sarah darlin, I could have changed your diapers!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

i can't beleive you forgot

Feelings whoa oh oh feelings

Mandy you're a fine girl What a good wife YOU WOULD BE (if i weren't such an ass)

Candy Man can cause he mixes it with love

Rubber band man yah rubber band man

and my all time favorite

Crocodile Rock

message 8: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I was in Jr high the year you were born Sarah. Wow... I'm feelin kinda ancient...

message 9: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments I kissed a girl for the first time the year Sarah was born. And to this song even: 68. Hey Deanie, Shaun Cassidy. That should've been a sign....

message 10: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 05, 2008 03:41AM) (new)

RandomAnthony I was nine. I could have had a crush on Charissa were she a junior high girl in my neighborhood.

My brother had a trumpet and tried to play "Feels So Good" a lot. He failed. Is Chuck M. still alive?

How about Andy Gibb or the Bee Gees having five of the top ten songs that week?

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hey Shelly. I've wondered the same thing about "Feels So Good". For some reason my head always associates the song with early Love Boat episodes, although I can't find anything in print to back that up.

message 12: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments Don't forget the other great trumpet instrumental of that era, "Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)." It was the age of the instrumental. I heard the "Theme from S.W.A.T." and "A Fifth of Beethoven" on an online oldies station the other day.

The cheesiest on the list is right under Chuck: 22. Hot Child In The City, Nick Gilder.

shellyindallas i've given up on trying to find the TV show associated with this song b/c I'm thinking maybe there isn't one. Just one of those songs you heard everywhere. My friend was like "it's King of the Hill", but I don't watch King of the Hill and am pretty sure it wasn't on in the seventies.

Sarah-welcome to your 30s! They're lame.

message 14: by Monica (new)

Monica | 8 comments My dad and bro are trumpetists - tenor and alto respectively. I swear my brother would pretend he was Kenny G and, yeah, he and my dad would rif on Feels So Good. I grew up listening to Maynard Ferguson covers of "Gonna Fly Now" and my fav "Birdland.” wow. memories.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Um, my dad hadn't even met my mom yet by the year that Sarah was born and Charissa was in jr. high. I suddenly feel very very young and out of place!

That Summer Nights song is the most evil thing ever. It sounds deceptively cute, right? But it WILL NEVER LEAVE YOUR BRAIN. Just repeats there over and over when you hear it. Anyone else have this problem? Damn you, Travolta! Oh no.. its starting!

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Kelly just replaced "Hot Child in the City", which was running through my head, with the "Summer Nights" song, which is now running through my head. I don't know whether to thank or blame her.

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Well, based on the way I end up feeling about that song after a few minutes of it running through my head, I think you're going to end up at "blame."

I do apologize!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) My birthday's in June. I plan on having a 30s party.

My husband was 10 the year I was born, so he feels kind of pervy. Heh.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Kelly, I've got chills, they're multiplying...

Shit! It's spreading to other Grease songs!

(Looks for a sedative)

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Anthony, DON'T!! No good can come of that line of thought! Or singing!!

I like that Bay City Rollers song from Love Actually. To be honest though, that's the first I'd ever heard of them. I fail at many pop culture things!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) If you guys like trumpet music, check out Leroy Jones:

http://www.satchmo.com/leroyjones/mai...

message 22: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) No, Kelly, you've heard more. Haven't you seen the Mike Myers movie So I Married An Axe Murderer? S.A.T.U.R.D.A.Y Nite!... The Bay City Rollers rock! (The one you are thinking of is Bye Bye Baby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7zZD...)

I was 7 when Sarah was born by the way, well, almost. My Birthday is in August...so I was about to be. Maybe I wouldn't have changed your diapers after all? Though, I learned to make omlettes at 7, so I suppose I could have changed a nappy as well.

message 23: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 136 comments As insanely catchy as "Summer Nights" is, it's got some skeezy lines---i.e. "Did she put up a fight?" Nothing weirder than watching a junior-high production and seeing that sentiment warbled.

Then again, "Hot Child in the City" is about an underage prostitute.

Who says the 70s weren't about love?

message 24: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Anthony... I probably would have had a crush right back on you. I was notorious for crushing on younger guys... and older guys... wait... that still might be true... LOL!!

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I am now obsessively watching Bay City Rollers videoes on youtube. Thanks people for my new afternoon obsession.

message 26: by J (new)

J I was going to say something about having spent the better part of the past 30 years (since the tender age of 7) changing diapers...

Instead I'm hanging out on youtube with Kelly, watching Bay City Rollers do Bye Bye Baby.

message 27: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 05, 2008 11:19AM) (new)

RandomAnthony If, in the space of afternoon, we have collectively brought young Kelly into the Bay City Rollers fold, then I congratulate Axis Mundi, ladies and gentlemen, for a job well done.

*High fives all 'round*

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.