The Reasons Why you wrote your book or books discussion

Why I wrote A Promise Kept

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elise (new)

Elise Crawford | 1 comments My intention when writing A Promise Kept was to reach deep into the hearts of the grief stricken to encourage them to cry, and by grieving along with me, to process their own sorrow.
A Promise Kept is unique because although it was intended for an audience affected by tragic loss, it has also appealed to the general reader. It’s an all- encompassing real-life story of love, tragedy, murder, loss, hopelessness, supernatural mystery, grief, FAITH, and eventual triumph that wraps up with a hero and a happily-ever-after.
I believe people like to read stories about how another person overcomes adversity. And I believe that by demonstrating through my story how Faith can work in even the most ordinary person’s life, I will encourage others to move forward and not give up.
When I was ready to begin the healing process, I set out in search of some sort of an instruction manual to help me manage the difficult rite of passage that I faced. A Promise Kept would have been that book I was looking for.

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) | 25 comments Elise wrote: "My intention when writing A Promise Kept was to reach deep into the hearts of the grief stricken to encourage them to cry, and by grieving along with me, to process their own sorrow.
A Promise Kep..."

Elise, you are absolutely correct that books about tragedy can become a valuable catharsis for those who suffered. As I was writing my Holocaust novel, Jacob's Courage, I felt the same way. I wanted victims of the Holocaust to relive the experience in a way that validates their feelings and offers a positive outcome. While it might seem impossible that there could be a positive outcome from the systematic extermination of 6 million innocent men, women and children, some of the victims survived and even thrived. They created progeny and passed along their legacy of religion and morality to their offspring. Mostof two generations of my maternal family persihed in the Shoah. But a few survived, including my grandparents, my maternal aunts and my mother. It is for them that we write.

Another positive outcome, although not a "result" of the Holocaust, was the creation of the modern State of Israel. Six million innocent Jews were murdered by Nazi Germany (according to captured German war documents) in part because almost no country would take the Jews in. Even England and the United States had immigration quotas on Jews. These rejected Jews were murdered By Hitler's henchmen. But the existence of Israel means that there is now one safe place in the world for oppressed Jews. It is a positive outcome.

Sometimes authors use a novel or screenplay to support political or social beliefs, or to cry out for morality and ethical principles. This is no more clearly evident than with Holocaust books and films. Whenever we stand up to those who deny or minimize the Holocaust, or to those who support genocide we send a critical message to the world.

We live in an age of vulnerability. Holocaust deniers ply their mendacious poison everywhere, especially with young people on the Internet. We know from captured German war records that millions of innocent Jews (and others) were systematically exterminated by Nazi Germany - most in gas chambers. Holocaust books and films help to tell the true story of the Shoah, combating anti-Semitic historical revision. And, they protect future generations from making the same mistakes.

"Jacob's Courage" examines a constellation of emotions during a time of incomprehensible brutality. A world that continues to allow genocide requires such ethical remediation. And, Elise, individuals can benefit from a catharsis by reading about the tragedy that befell them so many decades ago.

Many authors feel compelled to use their talent to promote moral causes. Elise, you have demonstrated one such scenario. Holocaust books and movies carry a similar message globally, in an age when the world needs to learn that genocide is unacceptable. Such authors attempt to show the world that religious, racial, ethnic and gender persecution is wrong; and that tolerance is our progeny's only hope.

Charles Weinblatt
Author, "Jacob's Courage"
http://jacobscourage.wordpress.com/
http://jacobscourageaholocaustlovesto...