I'm Trying to Get a Book Published! discussion

Writers N-T! > Tink/Paige's Publishing Progress

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (last edited Apr 28, 2010 10:09AM) (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Hello... I'm Paige. Or Tink. Either one. I know some of you, like Brigid. Hi Brigid! *vwaves*

I've been in this group for a while but I haven't started a topic yet. So here I am. HI!

Errr... I'm not good at talking about myself. So let's talk about my novel, eh?

When seemingly average fifteen-year-old Cassandra daringly escapes her would-be abductors, she finds her entire world crashing down around her. Her family is dead. She’s alone in an unfamiliar part of town and injured. As if that weren’t enough, there are people pursuing her, dangerous strangers who aren’t like the rest of us. And Cassie has no idea why any of this is happening.
Insert Devon, a strange sixteen-year-old who seems to know far more about this than he should, mix in a whole lot of chaos, and suddenly Cassie finds herself immersed in an underground world of exceptional people with paranormal abilities. Rescued by the Rebels, Cassie becomes part of their battle to stop the Society. As their battle of good and evil ensues, Cassie struggles to understand a part of herself that she never suspected she had. With her new guardian Devon at her side, Cassie discovers that she too has a place among these people, in a subculture whose existence the world chooses not to accept. SOULFIRE chronicles Cassie’s discovery of her own abilities and her transition into this new society. Cass is surprised by what she finds as she searches for her niche - first love and an inner strength she didn’t know she had. But, just as Cassie begins to find her place in this unfamiliar world and a sense of security with Devon, her new community is attacked. As the battle rages, Cassie finds herself rescuing the one person who could destroy her relationship with Devon.

Soulfire is currently in the editing stages. In the meanwhile, I'm working on Soulfire 2 (No name yet). **EDIT** Soulfire 2= Heartfire.

As soon as I'm done editing, I'll be sending my query letters out to agents.

So if anyone has any tips on editing, or on query letters, let me know!

And... yeah. That's it.

Bye!

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Hi Paige! :) Thanks for joining the group and for starting your own topic. haha :]

Your novel sounds really cool :D

As for editing: my best advice is to let other people read your book. They'll see any mistakes that you missed or any plot holes you may not have noticed. I'd be willing to read it and give feedback if you need someone to help. :)

Query letters … I don't even know where to start. lol. Well, check out this for starters (I know it's helped a lot of people): http://www.agentquery.com/writer_hq.aspx

If you have any questions after reading that, ask (although I can't guarantee that I'll know the answer, but someone else might).

When you're researching agents, be sure to check out these sites:

http://www.agentquery.com/
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

^_^ hope that helps

message 3: by Paige (last edited Aug 14, 2009 07:52PM) (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments The link for query letters was super helpful, Brigid! Thanks a lot.

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Hey everyone.... still editing Soulfire and working on Soulfire 2.... not much to share.... so yah. Ch. 11 of Soulfire 2 is up, and I'm writing Ch. 12 right now...

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (last edited Aug 14, 2009 09:04PM) (new)

Brigid ✩ ♥ Tink ♥ (Paige) wrote: "The link for query letters was super helpful, Brigid! Thanks a lot. "

Sure thing :) That site is also a great place to look up literary agents.

message 6: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Tink,

If you ever need a beta reader for your book, feel free to look me up. I'd be happy to give you some feedback. Good luck!

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Thanks, Brigid!

Kevis, *shuffles feet at inexperience* What does that mean? Sorry if I'm being really dumb.

message 8: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Just a general update:

Still editing, but my editor (aka mom) is about halfway through, which is big progress.

Still writing Heartfire (the official name of the sequel) and on Ch. 16. Just keep writing, just keep writing, just keep writing writing...

message 9: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Hmm, sounds like a song, Tink. I could see some fish swimming--er, I mean people dancing--around singing that. :D

message 10: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments LOL Way to pick up on that, Rita. I <3 FN. :)

message 11: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Working on Chapter 20... I've written like, 80 pages now... scary thought.

message 12: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Just chugging along.... I know I'm bad at updating this *sighs*. Unfortunately, that's mostly because there's no news.

Editing has slowed to a stop (Mom got sucked into the addictingly fabulous Mortal Instruments series and has STOPPED EDITING for the time being *gah*) on Soulfire, so nothing new there, really.

Heartfire is... progressing. I'm writing the second part from Devon's part of view, which is challenging but exciting. I'm on Ch. 25 right now...

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) That's wonderful, Tink. Progress, however slow, is still progress. Better to be moving at a snail's pace than to not be moving at all. For that's perseverance. Keep up the good work.

message 14: by Paige (last edited Jan 05, 2010 09:40AM) (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Thanks for the encouragement, Rita! ;)

Well, let's see. Chapter.... Twenty Eight now, I believe. This story is taking longer than I expected. I'll keep working, keep going, and hopefully reach my future goal: published.;)

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 43 comments Soulfire is finally edited, and you can read an excerpt at this link:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

I've been sending out queries and such... one rejection letter so far... haven't heard back from the rest.

Heartfire is on Ch. 37 and still chugging along... you can read it here:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/4...

Please read if you have some free time and let me know what you think! :D