Book lovers discussion

Random > When Do You Read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I am curious as to when you all read. I read on my break at work and on evening or on my days off when i have no plans

message 2: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Almost all the time I am not working!

Early morning before leaving for work, at lunch break, evenings, nights before lights-out, weekends.. any time when I have nothing else planned or when I am not at the gym or the pool, or with friends .. whew!

Sometimes I wish there were more hours per day, or that I was a Cullen (of Twilight fame if you missed the punch), so that I won't have to sleep

message 3: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 8 comments I generally read on my lunch at work and after I have put the kids in bed for the night.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Wow that would be cool if you didnt have to sleep. I would definately read all night :)

message 5: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 11 comments I usually read in the bath and end up spending about 2 hours in there :P

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Dont you get the pages wet? lol

message 7: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 183 comments anytime I can, after work for a couple hours, before bed and sometimes if nothing is going on, after my son goes to sleep but before I decide to do the usual wind down ritual. Summertime is when reading slows to a crawl. Outdoor activities and other projects generally take me away from reading much.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I tend to read more in summer. I like to sit in the sun and read whereas in the winter im more likely to watch movies and keep warm inside

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) Any time i get some peace. Sometimes i'll wake up at 2am and read for about an hour. Early in the morning before the house wakes up. My honey bugs me when i'm on goodreads, which is annoying, i like it quiet when i read.

message 10: by Leannear24 (new)

Leannear24 when ever i want
i could read all day some days n then other days not read at all
it depends on how i feel :D

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Edwards (cmedwards) In the morning around 7 A.M., at night before going to bed. I will also try to sneak in extra time when I can. When the kids are out of school I have a little extra time on my hands. I love to sit in front of the cast iron stove and read in the winter.

message 12: by Amira (new)

Amira (aabdulhafid) Being a volunteer in Honduras, it really depends on my work schedule. Right now, I'm reading at night and I even brought my book to the NGO office today to read. But then again--I have a lot more time on my hands now. I love reading before going to bed, though. I almost kind of have to, otherwise I don't sleep.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I like to read in the morning with my coffee before work, then during my lunch breaks, then while I am doing something tedious that I don't want to think about (like the dreaded stair master) and before bed. During the weekends I read every moment I am not with friends. PLease don't judge me. I have an addiction.

message 14: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) LOL, Jessica, totally understandable. I guess, all of us can't go too long without books!

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I agree with Aths. It seems like everyone reads whenever they can sneak it in even if its just a few pages!

message 16: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 183 comments I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hiking, floating, rock climbing, and caving. Hardly anytime to read before before indoor season hits.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments I read whenever I have downtime (I always have a book on me, even on the golf course because I tend to get stuck behind really slow players). I should probably be reading right now instead of playing on Goodreads, but I love everyone here too much to stay far away.

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Lol sometimes i spend my reading time on here! I just think " i will just check my emails" and then before you know it im engrossed

message 19: by Athira (last edited Aug 12, 2009 11:34AM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Honestly folks, goodreads has become too addicting! Till yesterday, I would keep peeping into the site, every few minutes. Today, I promised myself that I will check it sparingly, like once before work in the morning, once before lunch, and hours in the evening. So far, I am proud of myself, I did some decent work today. I hope the work fever lasts! *hopefully*

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I spend most of my work day on here instead of doing work! lol

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jerrod wrote: "I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hiking, floating, rock climbing, and caving. Hardly anytime to read before bef..."

Wow, that sounds lovely! Wouldn't a camping trip be great for reading?!?!
Oh. That probably defeats the purpose of the trip. :\

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ  (shoey924) | 53 comments HOnestly, whenever I can!! I have two kids and a full time job, so I grab reading time here, there, and everywhere in between! If I can't physically read the books, then I listen. :-)

message 23: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) I've never listened to a book. I wonder how the experience will be for me. I generally have difficulty concentrating on anything for long, coz of which sometimes I read the same line over and over. I wonder how many times I will end up doing a rewind on the tape/mp3!

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Edwards (cmedwards) Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ wrote: "HOnestly, whenever I can!! I have two kids and a full time job, so I grab reading time here, there, and everywhere in between! If I can't physically read the books, then I listen. :-)"

My situation is the same, children and a full time job. Maybe I should try audio books. I would probably end up so into the story I would stop what I was doing and sit down and listen.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ รђ๏รђคภคђ  (shoey924) | 53 comments LOL! I actually listen while doing stuff such as driving, dishes, laundry, etc. It makes it go by so much faster!

message 26: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 183 comments Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hiking, floating, rock climbing, and caving. Hardly anytime to ..."

Nah, I almost always have a book with me, wherever I go, but when I'm outdoors, I tend to get lost in the peace and solitude that being outdoors with loved ones in the middle of nowhere provides.

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Sounds great Jerrod!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jerrod wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hiking, floating, rock climbing, and caving. Ha..."

I can understand that. :) My family used to go camping together and I quite liked it! Sounds like a great time.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Any time, any place and anywhere! Read books or listen to audio if doing housework or on laptop or in the car driving!

I carry my Sony everywhere with me in case I want to read anywhere I am out and about!

message 30: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 183 comments Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hiking, floating, rock climbing, ..."

Always fun, too bad it's becoming harder to get out.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jerrod wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hiking, floating,..."

that's too bad! Why is that?

message 32: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 183 comments Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Jerrod wrote: "I would agree with Aths with the exception of summer. Summertime in my house is full of outdoor games, like camping, hi..."

My new career requires allot more of my time with on call every 4-5 weeks and allot of training out of state [for now anyway:]. Plus with a very active child [makes ADHD kids look slow:] it can be harder. Also we live in eastern MT, to get to the good out door spots it about an 1 1/2 drive just to get their, not like central MT where I can be in the thicket of things in less than 10 min. Plus we're relatively new to the east side so our knowledge of the area is a little choppy. It'll be easier in a few years once we get our foundation for outdoor stuff reestablished here instead of my home town in central MT.

message 33: by Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy (last edited Aug 17, 2009 11:55AM) (new)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments It's always tough re-adjusting. It must be difficult having to travel so much for your work. I used to have to travel a lot for my work a couple of years ago and although at first I quite liked it, after a year I just wanted to be home with my husbands and our "kids" (dogs). Being new to an area is difficult too. You have to find all your favorite spots and restaurants etc. Of course, once that's all sorted it'll feel like home to you. At least book stores are everywhere! And the great thing about a book is no matter where you go there they are! ;)

message 34: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (LiquidAzrael) | 183 comments Luckily the training will level out once I get caught up on the major systems I'll be supporting, so that will end soon enough. And yes, that God for books.

message 35: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Jo wrote: "I tend to read more in summer. I like to sit in the sun and read whereas in the winter im more likely to watch movies and keep warm inside"

Jo...me too! But I do try to read a little each night before bed...in the summer I read for at least an hour almost every night!

message 36: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Yeah i like to read before bed too. I can spend a whole day in the garden reading when its summer :)

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 32 comments I read whenever I possibly can... Waiting to pick up the kids from school, waiting while the kids are in gymnastics, before bedtime... I especially love sitting outside in the swing reading!

message 38: by Hanako (new)

Hanako | 33 comments I read during my long metro run to go and back to work. I used to complain that it was too long but now that I'm reading all long, I start to think I could cope with 2 hours in the metro to get to work !

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori (Barfield) I took my book with me today and read while i got a pedicure! :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Lori wrote: " I took my book with me today and read while i got a pedicure! :)"

I take mine to the hairdressers when I am having highlights as it takes so long to be done!

message 41: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (Asfus) | 103 comments I tend to read in bed, sometimes after work to chill out. I always read on plane and train journeys. On holiday, I read whenever I can usually in an apartment or cottage that we have booked. I rarely read at work as I find I end up checking my watch to often and not relaxing with my book.

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa planes, trains & automobiles :D

also: the bed, the deck, the dock, the boat ... but I'd have to say my favorite is early morning on the front futon looking out over the lake with my sleeping dogs on either side of me .. so quiet, peaceful & uninterrupted

(I wish I had a garden Jo .. that sounds ideal)

message 43: by Kerry (new)

Kerry White (allelomimetic) | 3 comments Unless it's a book which I cannot put down and must read it at any given opportunity, I almost always read late at night - either on the sofa, or in bed.

message 44: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Kaliki, reading in the morning looking out over the lake sounds really good and peaceful

message 45: by Dean (new)

Dean (Cowboys86) | 122 comments I usually read in bed before I go to sleep or in the bath. Can't beat reading in the bath, so relaxing. On very rare occasions when I can't put a book down I'll read it pretty much non-stop. I read Deathly Hallows from start to finish the day it came out >_<

It's been a while since I've read a book that I simply couldn't put down.

message 46: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Thats impressive! I could never read Deathly Hallows in a day! The only book i have ever read in a day was a short book called Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist.

message 47: by Dean (new)

Dean (Cowboys86) | 122 comments Well it did literally take me the entire day lol. From like 9 in the morning when I picked it up, until midnight. It's the only book of any great size that I've read in a day. A couple others that I've read in one go were like 100 pages tops.

message 48: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Lol i think i read most of the Harry Potter books in big doses but never that big! I felt upset when i finished Harry Potter because i knew there would be no more

message 49: by Dean (new)

Dean (Cowboys86) | 122 comments Same here, I didn't want it to end. I hear there is going to be an encyclopedia being written by Rowling that will detail what happened with all the characters after Deathly Hallows. I got into Harry Potter late so I was able to burn through them all pretty fast, the only one I had to wait for was the last one.

message 50: by Hanako (new)

Hanako | 33 comments Do you guys heard about James Potter the fanfiction ? I am about to finish the first novel, it's nice although it's not from JKR.

« previous 1