Debate discussion

41 views
Religion > Prayer...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments ...doesn't make any sense. Discuss.


message 2: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments How does praying not make sense? I'm not religious, but I still pray. I'm actually more Buddhist/non-theist than anything.

It's just releasing your thoughts to the Universe.


message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments kinda like self meditation?


message 4: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments I wouldn't consider that praying, then. I am talking about communication with a deity.


message 5: by jessi (last edited Aug 09, 2009 12:16PM) (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments Also, just curious, why do you say "non-theist" instead of "atheist"?


message 6: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Because I'm not an atheist. I firmly believe that there is something greater than me.


message 7: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments Davis wrote: "Because I'm not an atheist. I firmly believe that there is something greater than me."

Do you believe that something is a deity?


message 8: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Nope.


message 9: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments Why do you believe there is something greater than you, and can you explain a little about what you think it may be?


message 10: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Mostly due to my recovery from heroin addiction, and the things that happened in the course of that. I really can't offer you any sort of explanation, I just think that there is something out there.


message 11: by Dan (new)

Dan If you're not praying to a deity, but just "sending your thoughts into the universe," how is that different from just thinking?


message 12: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Dan wrote: "If you're not praying to a deity, but just "sending your thoughts into the universe," how is that different from just thinking?"

I guess it isn't.


message 13: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments I kind of do the same thing, but I write it down then burn it. It actually works if I don't overuse it...


message 14: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments I've never had the patience for meditation. I get bored XD


message 15: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments I kind of was referring more to praying FOR things, but just communicating with god doesn't make sense either. I mean, why take the time to tell him what he already knows? I feel like he'd get bored listening to all those mundane activities all the time lol.


message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
" Also, just curious, why do you say "non-theist" instead of "atheist"? "

Because there is a difference. A non-theist could also be an agnostic, a humanist, a secularist...


message 17: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments Lauren wrote: "" Also, just curious, why do you say "non-theist" instead of "atheist"? "

Because there is a difference. A non-theist could also be an agnostic, a humanist, a secularist..."


If you lack a belief in a deity, then you are an atheist. Hence "a" (without) "theism" (belief in a god). The rest are just more specific adjectives.


message 18: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments i though praying is show us , how we are realize that we need god.


message 19: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I do have belief in 'a' god, but not a god as your western mind see's it.


message 20: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments i can't see 'my' god, but i belief god. i do praying a lot. as a lot as my prob. =) you buddisht? how you prayng?


message 21: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Cj_ wrote: "i can't see 'my' god, but i belief god. i do praying a lot. as a lot as my prob. =) you buddisht? how you prayng?"

I'm not strictly buddhist, but I do follow some of their main tenants.

I don't pray, per se, but meditate.


message 22: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments hmmm. i see, i ever saw them had a meditate...
what you say on the maditate? or u just silent?


message 23: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I'm sorry but I cannot understand you. Your grammar is awful.


message 24: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments lolz, im sorry, my english is not well... thts not my own language.
what do you say when you have a meditate? or just keep silent and concentrate with the meditate itself?

(is thst better??) >.<


message 25: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Just silent.


message 26: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments are you a friendly person davis?


message 27: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I can be.


message 28: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments lolz..
why you didn't say yes? =)


message 29: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Because I'm not always.


message 30: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments lolz... im appreciate tht.. ^^)
eh, but why?


message 31: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Because I get aggravated with regularity.


message 32: by byhera (new)

byhera (ordinary) | 44 comments well, i can see.. lolz joke.



message 33: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments Davis wrote: "I do have belief in 'a' god, but not a god as your western mind see's it."

"Do you believe that something is a deity?

Nope."

?


message 34: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Poor Cj...

I don't pray much anymore, doesn't make sense....


message 35: by Lorna (last edited Aug 10, 2009 03:55PM) (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments I'm thinking of tying meditating again...just worried, because if I 'think' too much...well it never makes me happy lol. I must be the only person alive who wants to be shallow.


message 36: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments "I must be the only person alive who wants/ to be shallow."

False haha.


message 37: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments False? How so?


message 38: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Some people in America pride themselves on being shallow.


message 39: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Hmm, really? Thing is, with outwardly shallow people there's always more underneath.

So they're all liers :)


message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Wendy Williams Show = absolutely pathetic.


message 41: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Lorna wrote: "Hmm, really? Thing is, with outwardly shallow people there's always more underneath.

So they're all liers :)"


I really don't believe that in all cases.


message 42: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Cj_ wrote: "well, i can see.. lolz joke.
"



You say "Lolz" Way too much. Its bothering me.


message 43: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments How lucky for them.

J, who's Wendy Williams?


message 44: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Who wants to be shallow? Or at least appear that way?


message 45: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Moi...be shallow.


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Some lady who should not have a talk show. But does.


message 47: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Chandani wrote: "Cj_ wrote: "well, i can see.. lolz joke.
"


You say "Lolz" Way too much. Its bothering me. "


So do I! Be nice....


message 48: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Lorna wrote: "Moi...be shallow."

What do you mean by saying that you are shallow? Shallow as in superficial? Or shallow as in someone that you cant hold up a decent conversation with, or shallow like someone who doesn't think about or question things? I dont get what you mean when you say that you are a shallow person....


message 49: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1273 comments Chandani wrote: "Lorna wrote: "Moi...be shallow."

What do you mean by saying that you are shallow? Shallow as in superficial? Or shallow as in someone that you cant hold up a decent conversation with, or shallow l..."


I am not shallow. I want to be, because thinking about things makes me sad. I have to distract myself all the time if I want to be in a good mood.

And shallow, not stupid. Not think or question things? Maybe. Or to somehow restrict my thoughts to only happy ones :)


message 50: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Okey doke :)

I know what you mean about the sadness part, but i would much rather take whatever sadness comes than only look at the sunny side of the street you know?


« previous 1 3 4
back to top