Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Television & Radio > Catching up with Rescue Me

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments I've finally burned thru all my recorded vcr tapes for the last tv season and am scratching around for something to watch. At least a month before anything new comes on. Then I remembered that, for some reason, I took a dislike to Denis Leary's character on Rescue Me and boycotted the show years ago. I stopped in Hollywood Video and found 1st season (only) Rescue Me on the shelf. For some reason, (desperation at running out of tapes?) I now like the show. Only 4 shows per DVD, so that's 4 rentals, but I have viewing for a few days, of something I like.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6311 comments It's funny how tastes change. I just watched the original 'Evil Dead' & really liked it. It is one of the scariest horror films I've ever seen (I'm not a big fan of them) & very well done, especially considering the tiny budget. It was also Rami's first film.

We've watched a few of the Rescue Me episodes. We liked them. Leary is pretty neat. I first saw him in 'Demolition Man'. He was the underground leader.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl wrote: "I've finally burned thru all my recorded vcr tapes for the last tv season and am scratching around for something to watch. ... I stopped in Hollywood Video and found 1st season (only) Rescue Me on the shelf. ..."

I've never seen "Rescue Me". Below is the link to the Netflix description, Season 1:
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Rescue_M...
They also have the other seasons as described at the link below:
http://www.netflix.com/Search?lnkce=i...

It's so great to find something you really like. I was recently enthralled with the audio CD of _The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society_ (borrowed from the Crandall Library). I relished it right to the end. Now that I've finished listening, I miss having it to look forward to. One of the GR reviewers described the book as: "an exceedingly well-written, compulsively readable, and utterly charming character-driven historical novel." It's about the German occupation of the island of Guernsey during WWII and is written as a series of letters written by different characters.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't watched Rescue Me, there is something about Leary that just puts me off, and I can't explain it. I can't even say I've seen him in anything much. So there is no realistic reason. Just vibes.

message 5: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Pontalba wrote: "I haven't watched Rescue Me, there is something about Leary that just puts me off, and I can't explain it. I can't even say I've seen him in anything much. So there is no realistic reason. Just ..."
That's EXACTLY the reaction that I had when I first watched Rescue Me. I'm talking bout Tommy Gavin though, not Leary. He's so damn glib, an accomplished liar, always trying to scam somebody. But I guess you can learn to love him if you're all out of vcr tapes. Another criticism: the show makes the firemen seem like immature boneheads. Reminds me of Archie Bunker, we (most of us) got to love him though his intolerant character was a parody of a real person.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments What are you watching now, Earl?

message 7: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Earl wrote: "I've finally burned thru all my recorded vcr tapes for the last tv season and am scratching around for something to watch. ... I stopped in Hollywood Video and found 1st season (only) ..."
Joy, your link to Rescue Me at Netflix has finally given me a reason to join, thanks. I joined on Saturday Aug 15 and received first 2 DVDs of Rescue Me Season 2 on Thursday Aug 20. I've also put MI-5 (Spooks) in my Netflix queue. I can't forecast how thrifty Netflix is going to be for me yet. Depends on speed of the US mail turn-around I guess. I guess everything goes to Albany first, then is routed to Glens Falls, so arrival date predicted by Netflix is off by at least 2 days. But it seems to be the only place these particular DVDs are available, anyway.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl wrote: "Joy, your link to Rescue Me at Netflix has finally given me a reason to join, thanks. I joined on Saturday Aug 15 and received first 2 DVDs of Rescue Me Season 2 on Thursday Aug 20. ..."

You're welcome, Earl. I've been amazed by the speed with which I receive my Netflix DVDs. No sooner do I send one back, than a new one is in my mailbox, even when the DVD is being sent to our summer place in the boonies. I don't know how they do it.

I've noticed that if I return a DVD on a Friday, the weekend makes the wait a bit longer.

I like the way they notify you by e-mail that they've received your DVD back and then notify you which new one is being sent out. I find that their prediction of arrival dates is very dependable. I'd be curious to know about your own experience with the Netflix speed of delivery.

message 9: by Earl (last edited Sep 02, 2009 06:29AM) (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Earl wrote: "Joy, your link to Rescue Me at Netflix has finally given me a reason to join, thanks. I joined on Saturday Aug 15 and received first 2 DVDs of Rescue Me Season 2 on Thursday Aug 20. ....."
It's now just over 2 weeks since I joined NetFlix. Joy, you asked about my experience with NetFlix delivery. I've been keeping close track for my own purposes. Here's my notes so far:

Joined 8-15-09 Saturday $13.99/month, 2 dvds out at a time
8-20 Thursday RECEIVED Rescue Me Season 2, first 2 dvds

Friday night 8-21 Mailed back 2 dvds AT THE GF POST OFFICE MAIL SLOT.
Monday am 8-24 got email NetFlix had received the above dvds.
Tues 8-25 got email that MI5 dvds on the way, they forecast delivery 8-25, ha.

Wed 8-26 MI5 Season1 Disc1,Disc2 ARRIVE
took a day to figure out the cockamamie menu

Thurs 8-27 Mailed back 2 MI-5’s AT THE GF POST OFFICE MAIL SLOT.
Sat 8-29 email from NetFlix they received the 2 MI5 dvds back.
Sun 8-30 email from NetFlix: Rescue Me S2 3&4 on the way, forecast Aug 31.

Mon 9-1 Rescue Me S2 3&4 ARRIVE

Mon 9-1 Mailed back Rescue Me S2 3&4 AT THE GF POST OFFICE MAIL SLOT

Kind of hard to edit/format that report for meaningfulness with this venue. Gist: in 18 days I've received 6 dvds.

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Sep 02, 2009 07:24AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl, that's an average of 1 DVD every 3 days. Not bad. (home delivery, no travelling to the store)

How many DVDs at a time are you signed up for?
We chose the option for receiving a max of 2 out at a time, with unlimited totals per month.

Also, I've been using their streaming option which is included in the option with no limitations. I just watched "Vanity Fair" (2 different versions) via streaming. No captions, but OK with earphones.

So... are you fairly satisfied with Netflix?
I love it!

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Here's the link to Netflix's "Vanity Fair" DVDs:
http://www.netflix.com/Search?lnkce=i...

As you know, the movies are based on William Makepeace Thackeray's classic novel of the same title.

I watched the 1998 and 2004 versions. They're both good. Great story!

The 1998 version, with Natasha Little (she's such a fox!) as Becky Sharp is longer and has six separate episodes which stream in as you select them. After each episode you're given an opportunity to click to get the next episode. I loved it.

The 2004 version has Reese Witherspoon as Becky Sharp. Also very enjoyable.

And you can stream both of them directly to your computer.

Do earphones help if you have no captions?

message 12: by Jackie (last edited Sep 02, 2009 04:26PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments How did I miss this thread? Rsecue Me is the best show on television, raw and real and hilarious at times. I LOVE it. Normally, Denis Leary wouldn't do much for me except make me laugh, but I am completely enamoured with his Tommy Gavin character. And I have no idea why, he's the kind of guy who repulses me. I guess it's his deadpan humor, I've always liked the class-clowns.

A far as realism, like it or not, the characters are real. They're in my hometown and born NYC people are very different from the chic transplants. I have crazy Irish fireman cousins and trust me, when they get together, they act like that, frequently. Not so much the womanizing, but the drinking, jokes and sex talk. I think it's a form of bravado. They have tough jobs, tougher than anywhere else in the country, for what they do. Something is always happening in the City.

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "How did I miss this thread? Rsecue Me is the best show on television, raw and real and hilarious at times. I LOVE it. Normally, Denis Leary wouldn't do much for me except make me laugh, but I am..."

Jackie, I have "Rescue Me (Season 1)" on my Netflix queue. I've bumped it up to near the top. You've made me VERY curious.

We have good friends who are/were firemen in NYC. You're right that they have tough jobs, very dangerous. One of the younger ones was seriously injured a few months ago while fighting a fire in NYC. He fell through an opening which he couldn't see because of the smoke. He's now recuperating but wants to go back to his job again. They are a special breed. Tough fellows. The comradery among firefighters is strong. They are a true brotherhood and wherever they go, all around the world, the brotherhood is recognized by other firemen whom they meet. They help one another whenever they can. They know how they depend on one another for their safety and everyone else's.

message 14: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Earl, that's an average of 1 DVD every 3 days. Not bad. (home delivery, no travelling to the store)

How many DVDs at a time are you signed up for?
We chose the option for receiving a max of 2 out ..."

I'm satisfied as long as I have a backlog of tv shows I haven't seen to draw on. Right now that's only Rescue Me and MI5. When these are exhausted I may rethink my options. I don't want to pay $14/month for what movies I want to see. Might back off to next lower price or cancel completely. In two weeks the new tv shows start to air and I won't be quite so desperate for vcr fodder. Of course I'll reject 80% of the new stuff after I've evaluated them once - new shows don't equal watchable-ness.

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl wrote: "I'm satisfied as long as I have a backlog of tv shows I haven't seen to draw on. Right now that's only Rescue Me and MI5. When these are exhausted I may rethink my options. I don't want to pay $14/month for what movies I want to see. Might back off to next lower price or cancel completely. In two weeks the new tv shows start to air and I won't be quite so desperate for vcr fodder. Of course I'll reject 80% of the new stuff after I've evaluated them once - new shows don't equal watchable-ness."

Earl, I find very little on TV which will hold my attention. I think I'm now accustomed to being in control of the film I'm watching. I can start and stop it at will, as well as rewind. Since I don't like to go to the store, especially in cooler weather, I find it a great convenience to be able to choose the DVD's which I want to watch and then receive them in my mailbox. And as I said, I've started streaming. I'm beginning to think about investing in a Blue-Ray-type device so that I can stream onto my TV at no extra cost after the initial investment in the device.

You're lucky if you can enjoy what TV offers. My sister enjoys all the legal-type sitcoms on TV and that seems to be enough for her. She also goes to the movies once a week with a group of friends who have been doing it for years. But that can get expensive, especially after we pay the medical bills which Medicare doesn't cover. :)

message 16: by Earl (last edited Sep 04, 2009 06:44AM) (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Earl wrote: "I'm satisfied as long as I have a backlog of tv shows I haven't seen to draw on. Right now that's only Rescue Me and MI5. When these are exhausted I may rethink my options. I don't wan..."
Please share your shopping/research in obtaining the "Blue-Ray-type device so that I can stream onto my TV", along with links. I poked at this problem kind of half-heartedly, so far. I don't much care about watching movies on my 19" computer screen with my computer headphones. On the tv I use Sears infrared headphones that are slightly better sound quality - and I can use hearing aids with. I'm so hooked on captions that I'm not sure I'd willingly do without them though. Regarding junk tv shows, I record many I really don't like much: Warehouse 13, Psyche, Ugly Betty, Southland, Burn Notice, Leverage, Mentalist, Heros, Chuck, Pushing Daisies etc. Sometimes I fastforward thru some of it. This has always been about trying to get my money's worth from the rapacious cable company. The REALLY stupid part about my junk-viewing is I'm compelled to feed my face while I do it. I could cut calories by finding something else to interest me (that would keep hands too busy to snack).

message 17: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Sep 04, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl wrote: "Please share your shopping/research in obtaining the "Blue-Ray-type device so that I can stream onto my TV", along with links. ...
This has always been about trying to get my money's worth from the rapacious cable company. The REALLY stupid part about my junk-viewing is I'm compelled to feed my face while I do it. I could cut calories by finding something else to interest me (that would keep hands too busy to snack)."

OK, Earl, if and when I proceed with the BlueRay-type-devices (i.e., "streaming players"), I'll let you know. I've heard that Netflix has its own device which is less expensive than Blue Ray (whatever that is!).

You might find some info at the link below:====>
http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDe...
See the "Streaming Players" section.
There's also a section called: "Internet Connected Blu-Ray Players".

So far I know absolutely nothing about the streaming players. Perhaps our sons will enlighten us and also help us acquire what we need. What bothers me is the learning curve in getting to know how to work these gadgets. I can't even program a VCR and don't care to learn. I don't like recording things which I wouldn't be inclined to watch anyway. Planning ahead like that isn't for me.

As for finding other interests, the following quotation sums it all up:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Fun is like life insurance. The older you get the more it costs."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not only does one need money, but one needs energy and good health. Motivation is the secret ingredient as well.

So far, reading seems to be the best deal.

About snacking, they say that fruits and veggies make the best snacks. I know that to be true, but I forget it all the time. :)

message 18: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Sep 04, 2009 11:58AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Earl, although the BlueRay device is more expensive, there is more of a choice of movies available from Netflix for streaming directly onto the TV screen via BlueRay.

As you know, I'm already streaming movies onto my computer screen from Netflix and I've been watching their DVDs on my TV screen for a while now.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Eric has BlueRay and a HDTV, they go well together. We watched 300 in his room and it was superior to my DVD version. But I don't want BlueRay, the discs are much more expensive than DVDs. And on my regular TV, I don't think it'll make much difference.

message 20: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Nov 02, 2009 03:31AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Eric has BlueRay and a HDTV, they go well together. We watched 300 in his room and it was superior to my DVD version. But I don't want BlueRay, the discs are much more expensive than DVDs. And on ..."

Jackie, how are Eric's BlueRay versions superior? Are the pictures sharper? If so, is it because it's HDTV?

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy, yes, much sharper, better picture, better color. I think it's because of the HDTV, but I'm not really sure. I don't have the BlueRay on my regular TV so I can't really compare.
What a crazy world, my son has better toys than me!

message 22: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Joy, yes, much sharper, better picture, better color. I think it's because of the HDTV, but I'm not really sure. I don't have the BlueRay on my regular TV so I can't really compare.
What a crazy world, my son has better toys than me! "

LOL - That's because you love your son so much, Jackie. (g) I know the feeling. When my son wants an expensive article of clothing, I'm apt to buy it for him even if I would never THINK of spending that much on myself.

As for BlueRay, what is the main advantage of BlueRay? Anyone know? As I understand it, BlueRay is simply a way to stream directly to your TV screen instead of to your computer screen.

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I'm not up on the tech, that's Eric's department, LOL. I'll ask him, if I ever see him, LOL. All I know is he buys the Blue Ray discs and plays them on his PS3. He doesn't use the computer for it.

message 24: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "I'm not up on the tech, that's Eric's department, LOL. I'll ask him, if I ever see him, LOL. All I know is he buys the Blue Ray discs and plays them on his PS3. He doesn't use the computer for it."

Jackie, what's a PS3?

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments The third Play Station from Sony, a video game console. I'm not up on the video games, so I don't know much about it.

message 26: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "The third Play Station from Sony, a video game console. I'm not up on the video games, so I don't know much about it."

Boy oh boy, these kids are way ahead of us when it comes to technical devises. I am left standing in the dust!

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Don't I know it! Eric had computers in kindergarten! Sometimes he teaches me, but he doesn't have much patience, usually I just learn on my own.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments The 6th season of Rescue Me premieres on Tuesday, June 29th at 10PM on FX Channel (Channel 31 for us local Time Warner customers).
I read that there will only be 10 episodes this season, 9 next season to end around the 10th anniversary of 9/11.
Here's a promo for the new season, poor audio though, sorry, it's the best one I could find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9EqP...

message 29: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks, Jackie.