The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Your top excuses for going to a Book Store (any kind)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 400 comments Hi all,

I've been down with a stomach bug for the last week and just got up and around a few days ago. When my hubby got home I said "I need some fresh air" to which he replied "Ok, where should we go"? Without a moments hesitation I replied "That new used book store we just found!" He just laughed and said, "Let's go."

I didn't need any books (any more that I always do), but I thought that being surrounded by books outside of my own would make me happy.

What excuses have you used for going to book stores in the past?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

If not just to get something that i was after then my other excuse to go into a book store is "I need to destress". Pretty much does the trick.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) 1) Because I want to.
2) I haven't bought a book in 2.4 minutes.
3) I'm bored.
4) My books already know me.
5) The "perfect book" might not be there tomorrow.
6) Everyone else is doing it!

Samantha McNulty My excuse is "I just want to browse". I never EVER do.

message 5: by Tanya (new)

Tanya D (mtlbookworm) | 188 comments Haha! Love this thread!

Whenever I'm going out with friends, I suggest we first meet at the chapters- telling them that it's the 'most central' location...

It's gotten to the point where some friends simply refuse to meet me there, because we ALL end up walking out of the store anywhere from 50$-100$ poorer and we'd usually end up being late for whatever it was we were planning to do...

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I know... I just have to keep reminding myself that if I don't KNOW its there, then it's really NOT there.

Otherwise I don't think I could leave. Ever.

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments "My legs hurt, why don't we stop here for just a minute."

"We need to save the economy, Borders, etc. could go out of buisness if we don't stop here"

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Miraculous how your legs instantly stop hurting once inside, huh?

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan (chaoticbuffalo) "It's (insert day of week here)."

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz April and Fiona, I can relate to both of your excuses!
I think my favorite excuse this year was, I just finished writing a huge essay and I deserve books!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) | 32 comments I get email coupons from Border's or B&N almost every week, so I have to go buy a book if I get a coupon. I mean, I'm gonna buy books anyway, so why not go when I can get one 40% off?

message 12: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty Amy wrote: "I get email coupons from Border's or B&N almost every week, so I have to go buy a book if I get a coupon. I mean, I'm gonna buy books anyway, so why not go when I can get one 40% off?"

Agreed. I think I'll use that ;D

message 13: by Viki (new)

Viki | 42 comments Shopping for books is better than prozac....

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Dan, That's great ...

message 15: by Marci (new)

Marci (iread49) | 215 comments I CANNOT drive by without stopping!!

message 16: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10018 comments Mod
Ha! I love everyones comments!
Roseann, this is a great topic.

I just have this unfillable, undefinable NEED to go at least once a week. I sometimes have to stuff the urge, and its ohhhh sooo hard. Sometimes I have force myself to wait a little longer so when I go, its that much more WONDERFUL.... but not very often. I have no willpower when it comes to books!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments well, i guess my main reason is that i work at a barnes and noble!! but my problem is that i get 30 minutes breaks during every shift. so if my feet don't hurt me too bad already, i'll just walk around to see if there's something that sticks out at me. i love books, but it's probably the worst place to work, cause i walk out of there with at least one book every time i work!! oh, but the best part is that we get advanced readers copies of books that aren't even out yet, and we get them for free!! also, we get the "stripped" books for free. they are mostly several copies of one book that i'd probably never read, but sometimes i can find some really good ones!! i've gotten a harry potter book, a john grisham book, and several others that are just great!! gah...i love my job. :)

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather I don't smoke crack;therefore, I have lots of extra money to spend so might as well buy books.

message 19: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Fiona wrote: ""I gave a book to charity, now I have space for ONE more" "

Perfect. I love it.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 437 comments It's the coupons that get me every time. That's what took me to both Borders and B&N today.

message 21: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 409 comments This coming weekend, my friend and I are driving 100 miles to go on a "bookstore crawl". It's like a pub crawl, only for books.

Our excuse? It's been a really really REALLY long time since we went book shopping. Really.

I like WV Heater's excuse. It's a cheaper addiction than crack, for sure.

message 22: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Ah, who doesn't love coupons? ;)

message 23: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 400 comments I've got another--

Nothing in the world stacks better than books!

I love everyone's responses!!

message 24: by Roseann (last edited Aug 09, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Roseann | 400 comments Adrienne wrote: "This coming weekend, my friend and I are driving 100 miles to go on a "bookstore crawl". It's like a pub crawl, only for books.

Our excuse? It's been a really really REALLY long time since we wen..."

I never thought of a "book crawl" although lately when I go on vacation at least one day is spent seeing every used book store in town. I've done this in Vegas, San Francisco, L.A., Anaheim, and Phoenix so far.

P.S.--Please post the story of your crawl.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jennifer wrote: "well, i guess my main reason is that i work at a barnes and noble!! but my problem is that i get 30 minutes breaks during every shift. so if my feet don't hurt me too bad already, i'll just walk ..."

Ha Ha, Jennifer. I have always thought that I should get a part time job and thought I should apply at Borders....and then I come to my senses and realize that would never mean any extra cash coming in!

Top excuse - I need to get some exercise and take a walk at lunch time.....walk to Borders!

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz Here's another one, "I had to get a shot this week, I want a consolation prize!"

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments I feel all weird if I'm close to a bookstore and I don't go in...so i just HAVE to.

message 28: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Fiona wrote: "Lol, needing to destress is my top excuse."

That's my top reason as well; didn't help that during my undergrad the bookstore was practically a few minutes away from campus (campus was downtown for me). I'd tell myself "I had a busy/rough/stressful week, I'll go to the bookstore to wind down" or "I finished a major paper for so-and-so class, I'll go to the bookstore to treat myself", LOL.

message 29: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 23 comments I was in Australia for month and before that, I hadn't been in a book store for weeks. So, my excuse, "I need a book for the plane."

And yesterday's #1: "I need the book for Honors English!" what parent can resist that?

message 30: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi | 524 comments Meghan wrote: "I was in Australia for month and before that, I hadn't been in a book store for weeks. So, my excuse, "I need a book for the plane."

And yesterday's #1: "I need the book for Honors English!" wha..."

I completely agree :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments "I had to go to the dentist."

message 32: by Maureen (new)

Maureen *Someone* has to get this economy jump-started.

message 33: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 23 comments Maureen wrote: "*Someone* has to get this economy jump-started."

I like this one. We're goign nowhere if we stock pile our money, so help out the localy owned book stores. It's a win win situation.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin (robincarlton) | 21 comments "I joined a new book club today - I need to pick up the group read."

"The kids want to play with the train table." (I just happened to accidentally find this book I have to have too - oops!)

"We're going on vacation next month, the books I already have are too big to lug with us."

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I love it! This is an awesome thread!!

Last week I had off 1/2 a day on wednesday so i drug my husband with me to a flea market store and then to wonder book and video. he knew when we walked into Wonderbook that it was going to be awhile so he grabbed the only seat in the store.

My excuse is: "I joined a book club and we have group reads" or "I don't spend money on much so why not books?" or "it gives me something to do while your shows are on that i don't like"
"it's only going to be for a minute!" "I put a book on hold i need to go pick it up before they put it back!"

Book shopping has become an addiction for me!! Everywhere I go I pick one up, I just cant help it. soon i'm going to have to start a book buyers addiction group.

message 36: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 23 comments I'll need to join that.

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) went to target tonight to get lotion for my hubby's new tat....picked up a book....addicted totally addicted!!

Petra X has the munchies (petra-x) Target is owned by Amazon.

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) I started a group...Book Addicts...want to join look me up!

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I have this bad habit of stopping at the mini mart for a soda on my way to work and there just happens to be a used book store right next door so I am always running in "just to look" and then running out late for work with an arm load of books...its so bad that whenever I'm late my boss asks me what books I got...lol

message 41: by Mary (last edited Aug 12, 2009 12:18AM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments ME: Well....I could go spend $100 on books or $600 on a pair of shoes---you decide!

HUSBAND: Oh look! There's a Barnes&Noble right over there!

I'm just kidding around, I make a good living so I don't really need for my husband to decide. Books or shoes, it's up to me! Mostly, it's books.

message 42: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 400 comments Mary wrote: "ME: Well....I could go spend $100 on books or $600 on a pair of shoes---you decide!

HUSBAND: Oh look! There's a Barnes&Noble right over there!

I'm just kidding around, I make a good living ..."

LOL!! I always am telling my husband he should be glad I'm just into books and DVD's and not jewelry, clothes, or shoes!

message 43: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments "I have 10 dollars extra! And I'm going right by it. Across town. 20 miles away. But that counts as going right by it!"

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

My usual excuse is:

"I just wanna have a look!"

An hour or so later I walk out with a couple of bags filled with books!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Lately my excuse has been.."I need this book for TNBBC reading challenges!" haha..I always try to fill the tasks with books I already own or could easily get at the library..but sometimes I just HAVE to go get them at the bookstore so that I have them for the challenge! lol

message 46: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 23 comments MY BIRTHDAY!!!! Best excuse ever. And I have some gift cards just laying around. Don't want them to expire or anything.

message 47: by Keara (new)

Keara Clifford (KearaClifford) | 24 comments A bad day. You can always escape into a book where someone else is having worse problems then you are.

message 48: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments i love these "excuses"!

i don't necessarily come up with an excuse, but usually i invent reasons to be in the area of barnes & noble. such as, i need to go to a store that the only one near happens to be in the same shopping area as b&n. so it's usually "oh, i need more shampoo. hey, why don't we go to b&n, let the boy play with the Thomas stuff, and we can relax for a bit."

i have such a hard time leaving without spending money. but i guess it could be worse things i'm spending my money on!

message 49: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) My excuses include:

1. It's Raining
2. It's Sunny
3. I'm Sad
4. I'm Happy
5. My family will like me better after a bookstore fix.
6. I will like my family better after a bookstore fix.
7. It's Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc.

I wonder if a book addiction has ever caused anyone to lose their home to foreclosure. I could easily go that route!

message 50: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 23 comments But don't worry. You can build a home out of books and get some publicity and money. You're all set.

« previous 1