Roger Zelazny discussion

Roadmarks
This topic is about Roadmarks
Novels > Roadmarks

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 971 comments I read Roadmarks a couple of days ago. It was as wonderful the 4th time (or so) as it was the first. No, actually the first read wasn't as good as successive reads, something that isn't unusual with Zelazny's books.

The first time through, I was confused for far too long. There are chapters I & II. They indicate time lines, not successive chapters. The chapter I's are the time line of the main character. The chapter II's are the time lines of the other characters. I've read a couple of places that Zelazny wrote all in a linear fashion, pulled out all the chapter II's & tossed them in the air. He then inserted them between the chapter I's. Needless to say, this makes the story somewhat confusing, but it does give the proper mood to a time travel story & in a way that I've never seen before.

A lot of great characters make appearances; historical, fictitious & mythological. I figured out who was driving the red sporster, although Doc Savage was never mentioned by name. I had to ask at the Pulp Fiction group to find out who the bad guy he picked up was, though. Now I find I want to read two more books just to see if he did the character justice, although I'm sure he did. (He would have to pick the only bad guy to appear in two different Doc Savage novels. )

message 2: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 55 comments The Doc Savage books are short. You can get both John Sunlight stories in one volume: The Fortress of Solitude & The Devil Genghis

It's a shame Zelazny is no longer with us and not a member of Goodreads. Seeing his read shelf would be very enlightening.

message 3: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 971 comments When I read his stories & manage to recognize the source of half the allusions he makes, I feel I'm doing pretty well. He must have had a fantastic memory in addition to being well read.

message 4: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 971 comments I'm rereading Roadmarks. Some where, I came across an ebook of it, although I don't see a properly published edition, so I guess it is pirated. Since I own a copy in both HB & paperback & have given a dozen PB copies away over the years, I don't feel bad about having this copy. I'm peeved that the publisher hasn't made one.

I don't think I've seen any of Zelazny's books in any eformat legally which is a huge oversight. I want to keep a few of his books on my ereader for those times when I finish or abandon a book & don't have a new one I feel like reading. It's nice to reread his since I always get more out them, especially this book which is rather confusing the first time.

I'm absolutely amazed at how vibrant and real his characters are yet he spends so little time actually describing them. Instead, he uses their actions & speech to make them full blown, large as life - sometimes larger than life. Doc really needs to buy bigger shirts.
;-)

Brenda ╰☆╮    (Brnda) | 36 comments I'll have to check this one out.

:)

Somebody ....come-ON...get Zelazny on e-books.

Don't you know they would sell.....more?

message 6: by Chris DeVito (new)

Chris DeVito (ChrisDeVito) | 3 comments A few of Zelazny's books are available on Amazon Kindle (legit, I assume, but who knows?) -- A Dark Traveling, Last Defender of Camelot (the revised collection, not the original), Damnation Alley (!), The Dead Man's Brother, Wilderness (collaboration with Gerald Hausman -- far and away the best of Zelazny's collaborative novels in my opinion), Psycho Shop (with Bester -- neither's best). --Chris DeVito

message 7: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 971 comments Thanks for pointing out all those ebooks that are available, Chris. I do like to support authors I enjoy & do so when possible, but if publishers aren't going to make books available then folks will do so on their own. They need to buy a clue.

While I really liked Wilderness, I think my favorite collaborative novel of his is Coils with Saberhagen, although Donnerjack with Lindskold is close.

message 8: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 971 comments I'm 3/4 or so through the book & we finally get some explanation of what the road is & what Red thinks is going on. It's one of the neatest ideas of time/dimensional travel that I've ever read.

message 9: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 971 comments I finished this a couple of days ago. Great book! Even knowing the ending, it's a blast.