Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

Biography + How-To In An Area Of Expertise?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments I just added a book to my shelf I heard about on the radio, The Sioux Chef's Indigenous Kitchen. It's a combination biography of growing up on the Rosebud Sioux reservation and a cookbook, based on all the author was able to find out about how people cooked in his tribe before Columbus landed.

Does anyone else here read or like books like these?

message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 2938 comments Mod
Looks kind of interesting, but I don't try new recipes as much as I used to.

message 3: by Fishface (last edited Oct 24, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Well, I very often read a cookbook without trying the recipes. And then there are always books like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values that combine lessons in rhetoric with motorcycle repair with the author's memoir of living out West...

message 4: by Selina (last edited Oct 28, 2017 11:02PM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2463 comments I have one that isn't on Goodreads cos its more of a local effort called Por Por's Cookbook, by Carolyn King it's about Chinese New Zealand grandmothers and their recipes. It has recipes and short bios from 15 different grandmothers (por pors), so you get a bit of family history.

I haven't fully read it, these kinds of books you dip in and out of, I mean you only read the recipes if you going to use them lol. I can just ask mum about them...but she's a very chinese mother i.e likes to boast her food is better than the restaurants. Of course it is mum! But I'm thankful someone's written down all these recipes that usually get handed down word of mouth. If you have the patience to be with mum in HER kitchen. She's sort of like Gordon Ramsey if you get things wrong!

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Selina wrote: "I have one that isn't on Goodreads cos its more of a local effort called Por Por's Cookbook, by Carolyn King it's about Chinese New Zealand grandmothers and their recipes. It has recipes and short ..."

You can always add it to the Goodreads database!

message 6: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2463 comments Oh can I..didnt know could do that...

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Selina wrote: "Oh can I..didnt know could do that..."

You just do a search for the book, and when you can't find it there's a link you click underneath the "we don't have it" notice that allows you to add it in. Then you can even go to Amazon to find a copy of the book's cover and ask the librarians at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... to attach it, so the book in the database looks like your copy.