Play Book Tag discussion

November 2017: African American > Announcing November's Tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments The voting for the second place tags were neck and neck, but the winner was completely clear this month

and that tag is

African-American

Please share your reading plans and recommendations below!

Remember, for the regular monthly reads, the book can be shelved as African-American on Goodreads, or be a book that is not yet shelved that way but you feel should be.

To find books to read for this tag, please visit:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 2: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments I was kind of thinking disturbing stood a chance. This helps me for the high notes, I need to read Kindred and maybe I’ll get to Giovanni's Room.

message 3: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments And there is the March trilogy.

message 4: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments As for a recommendation - if there’s somebody out there who hasn’t read it yet: The Color Purple

message 5: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments I have been on an African American tear lately so I feel like I could recommend about 1500 books.

I feel like everybody should read
The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Invisible Man

Between the World and Me

Last Years Man Booker
The Sellout

Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption

For something a little lighter
Underground Airlines

My Options:

Native Son
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration
The Hate U Give (NR convinced me to read this)
might listen to Roots: The Saga of an American Family as a re-read
I need more Toni Morrison in my life
I have had Their Eyes Were Watching God on my tbr since the first PBT 100
Song Yet Sung

I guess I could go on and on :)

message 6: by Joi (last edited Oct 23, 2017 11:00AM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I was hoping for disturbing! But African-American will be a great tag.

I think I'll try to choose from the following
-Between the World and Me
-The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
-The Underground Railroad
-To Kill a Mockingbird (this doubles up for high notes AND for PBT fiction 100)

If anyone has any African-American that would double as November for Fall flurry, please suggest!!

message 7: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Sushicat wrote: "I was kind of thinking disturbing stood a chance. This helps me for the high notes, I need to read Kindred and maybe I’ll get to Giovanni's Room."

i would recommend Kindred - I really liked it.

message 8: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Joi wrote: "I was hoping for disturbing! But African-American will be a great tag.

-[book:The Immortal Life of Henrietta..."

Every one of these on your list are great.

message 9: by Barbara M (last edited Oct 23, 2017 11:32AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments My recommendations would include some of the above, Kindred, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, all done very well in audio for those like me who read in all formats.
I would also recommend Americanah which might fit for the time spent by an African adjusting to America!

As for me, I think I'll read Fledgling by Butler since I enjoyed Kindred. I also have these on my TBR:
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption,
Little Bee,
The Girl Who Fell from the Sky,
Homegoing

message 10: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments I was really hoping for disturbing, but this is the one I suspected would win.

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Nicole D. wrote: "My Options:

Native Son
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration
The Hate U Give (NR convinced me to read this)
might listen to Roots: The Saga of an American Family as a re-read..."

The Warmth of Other Suns made my favourites list a couple of years back. I have never read "Roots", but I'd like to. Not sure if I want to do a really long book next month, but we'll see.

message 12: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I have been on an African American tear lately so I feel like I could recommend about 1500 books.

I feel like everybody should read
The Autobiography of Malcolm X

[book:Invisible M..."

Yeah for The Hate U Give! I will post my review later today.

And, your recommending Roots may convince me to get to that one....

message 13: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Some options for me:

Roots by Alex Haley
The Personal History of Rachel DuPree by Ann Weisgarber
Tituba of Salem Village by Ann Petry
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
The Water Is Wide by Pat Conroy

message 14: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah."

Ooh forgot about this one, thanks for the reminder!! I've been wanting to read all year!

Also I think I've pumped The Hate U Give for the last like 4 tags, but once again it fits!

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8872 comments I will reading the Hate U Give for either November or December, definitely before 2018 rings in. But for this tag, I do have five other suggestions for myself.

Their Eyes Were Watching God
The Girl that Fell From the Sky
The Kitchen House
The Healing
Go Set a Watchman

The first two, I already ordered from the library. So those are the likely picks, outside of the Hate U Give.

As for recommendations, I have read a ton on this list. It's almost hard to remember which were the ones I would have most highly recommended. Why not go with: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.

message 16: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Joi wrote: "If anyone has any African-American that would double as November for Fall flurry, please suggest!!"

What came to mind for this question was: Buffalo soldiers. I went digging and found two that sound interesting: Gloryland and Miracle at St. Anna

message 17: by Denizen (last edited Oct 23, 2017 04:02PM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I was a disturbing girl but African American is my second choice. The book I feel I should read is Marlon Jame's The Book of Night Women but it's on the longish side and I have a ton of holds coming in.

The book(s) I will probably read are The Fifth Season and Salvage the Bones both were picked up quite some time ago as Daily Deals.

Books I recommend are the very intense Pulitzer winner Beloved and the hard hitting but more fulfilling Someone Knows My Name (aka The Book of Negroes). I second Nicole's recommendation of Underground Airlines, a fast paced suspense novel as well as a commentary on slavery. It was released the same month as The Underground Railroad so didn't get the attention I feel it deserves. Finally, I really enjoyed Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing which follows the descendants of two sisters in both Ghana and America with some great story lines.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 704 comments So glad this tag won! I'll be reading Beloved if I ever get October's book (Catch-22) completed! I'm enjoying it but it's taking a long time for me to read it!

message 19: by Anita (last edited Oct 23, 2017 12:34PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments In so far as recommendations, my favorites are as follows:

Invisible Man - novel
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - autobiography
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption - non-fiction

The Autobiography of Malcolm X is also very worthwhile reading from an educational standpoint.

If you need something lighter and quicker paced, I quite enjoyed Yellow Crocus even though it feels a smidge YA-ish. It's engaging and very fast going.

There's so many books in this category I'd like to read. I'm committed to The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League, but am hoping The Hate U Give and/or Sing, Unburied, Sing comes through the library. Kinda doubt it on both of those.

Also very interested in reading Toni Morrison who I've never read. Any recommendations there?

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness also sounds very interesting.

It annoys me that I have to read a WWII fiction book for my face to face book club that I'm really not enthused about and that is long and looks like "not my thing" when we have such a good tag.

message 20: by Anita (last edited Oct 23, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Barbara wrote: "My recommendations would include some of the above, Kindred, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, all done very well in aud..."

You can't go wrong with Just Mercy . . .definitely much preferred to Little Bee. I haven't read the other two though Homegoing gets a lot of rave reviews. Not sure Little Bee even fits . . .there are Africans in it, but African-American? I don't recall that.

message 21: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Joi wrote: "I was hoping for disturbing! But African-American will be a great tag.

-[book:The Immortal Life of Henrietta..."

Henrietta Lacks is really compelling reading . . .if you like non-fiction. Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird before?

message 22: by Anita (last edited Oct 23, 2017 12:39PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Thanks so much, Jenny, for recommending Song of Solomon. Anyone else have a Toni Morrison they think I would like?

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 704 comments Anita wrote: "In so far as recommendations, my favorites are as follows:

Invisible Man - novel
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and ..."

Re Toni Morrison - I read Song of Solomon for AS Level about 11 years ago, but I seem to recall it being one of the better books I read for that course. I'm attempting my second Toni Morrison for this tag (Beloved), as it fits this and Litsy Reading Challenge Bingo Card

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 704 comments Anita wrote: "Thanks so much, Jenny, for recommending Song of Solomon. Anyone else have a Toni Morrison they think I would like?"

Had to re-post as my formatting didn't quite work (& I'm a bit of a perfectionist!), but you're welcome :-)

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Heads up, Amazon has The Color Purple available for $1.99 today if anyone hasn't read it and wants to do so.

message 26: by Joni (new)

Joni | 623 comments I will be reading one of these two but probably both:

Called to Rise
Running for My Life: My Journey in the Game of Football and Beyond

message 27: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I was so hoping for Disturbing! I think I will try Underground Airlines. My hectic life needs something lighter at present. I’ve never read Toni Morrison so I will attempt one of hers too.

message 28: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 23, 2017 01:49PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6021 comments I usually use this tag only when the author is African American, but I think content might also qualify a book....

My top recommendations:
To Kill a Mockingbird (content)
A Lesson Before Dying
Song Yet Sung
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Roots: The Saga of an American Family
The Color Purple

And here are Two that would would fit November - Veteran's Day for the Fall Flurry challenge
Mudbound (content)
Miracle at St. Anna

I think I'll try to read
Someone Knows My Name (also known as: The Book of Negroes)
Bring on the Blessings

Neither one of these fits any other challenges I have for November, unfortunately, but that's life ...

message 29: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2946 comments Thank you, BC. I knew there was a book about the buffalo soldiers that I wanted to read, but I couldn't remember the title. That's probably what I will read if I can get it from the library.

Also, Someone Knows My Name gets my highest recommendations.

message 30: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Anita wrote: "In so far as recommendations, my favorites are as follows:

Invisible Man - novel
[book:Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and ..."

Anita, I am recommending you take Sing, Unburied, Sing off your TBR. It is chock full of magical realism/mystical elements.

Also, I don't know that you would like The Hate U Give.....but I will let someone else weigh in on that one.

message 31: by Anita (last edited Oct 23, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Nicole R wrote: "Anita wrote: "In so far as recommendations, my favorites are as follows:

Invisible Man - novel
[book:Just Mercy: A Story o..."

Dang. Okay, thank you so much. Someone else recommended it so much (who doesn't know me well) that I just went with it without much consideration.

I will keep my ears open for more commentary on The Hate U Give.

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I hate to tell people what they will and won’t like, but if I had to decide on Anita and The Hate U Give I would say no. Now I want her to read it to see if I am right!!

message 33: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Lol, Susie - - I'll probably read it if I can ever get it from the library just so I can say I've read the"it" book that EVERYONE is reading.

Has anyone read The Blood of Emmett Till? That sounds interesting and is up for the National Book Award.

message 34: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Anita wrote: "Henrietta Lacks is really compelling reading . . .if you like non-fiction. Have you read To Kill a Mockingbird before?."

I've been more into non-fiction the past two years than ever before, plus I think HBO did a thing with Henrietta with Oprah that I was interested in watching also.

Confession time- Sorry PBTers I've actually never read To Kill a Mockingbird before. I think it was required reading in 10th or 11th grade, but I don't think I actually read it. I know the plot, and have seen the play. But I have never actually read it before.

As for THUG, I think a lot of is expectations- expect a YA novel with a young voice and you'll probably like it. The themes are there, but a lot of people have set the bar redonkulously high (probably my fault) without taking its faults into consideration. I was able to overlook faults to give 5 stars still.

As for Toni Morrison, I've only read The Bluest Eye- which is her debut. I'd suggest that for this tag also. Maybe for me too- I haven't read it in over 10 years!

message 35: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1208 comments I’ve got lots of books fitting this tag, so I’ll pick something.

My recommendations:
I love Toni Morrison, so anything by her is a winner!
James Baldwin is also a great choice.
A Gathering of Old Men is a short, fun read.
And the poetry of Maya Angelou and Langston Hughes are great. (And I’m not a poetry person)
Sing, Unburied, Sing is also great.

Anita- Song of Solomon has some magical realism in it, as does Beloved. You could try Home or God Help the Child if you want.

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I am thrilled this tag won. I have several books that I could read.
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Sula by Toni Morrison
Americanah by Adichie
The Color Purple by Alice Walker

For those of you with little kiddos I recommend The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.

message 37: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Anita, you liked Lincoln in the Bardo, correct? If you could tolerate that ghost aspect the Sing, Unburied, Sing May be tolerable. I still see it impacting your rating though...

message 38: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 23, 2017 05:23PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8643 comments Tracy wrote: "Anita- Song of Solomon has some magical realism in it, as does Beloved...."

I really, really didn't like Beloved, and I'm sure the magical realism was a big part of that. (I am going on memory, though.)

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments My first month participating.

I want to read
The Color Purple
The Secret Life of Bees
Hidden Figures

I recommend:
The Help (If there is anyone who hasnt read it yet)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (I just finished this one and loved it)
12 Years a Slave
A Gathering of Old Men and A Lesson Before Dying been a long time since I read these but loved them when I was in High School (10 years ago)
To Kill A Mockingbird (Go Set A Watchman did not have the same magic)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (I don't see it in the list, but I consider this a very important piece of African American Literature. Considered the father of Modern Literature in the late 1880 and it is in favor of human rights for African-Americans)

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Nicole R wrote: "Anita, you liked Lincoln in the Bardo, correct? If you could tolerate that ghost aspect the Sing, Unburied, Sing May be tolerable. I still see it impacting your rating though..."

I loved Lincoln in the Bardo! So good point. But I will say I'm super picky about magical realism as a general rule (as you know). Maybe I'll let a few more people read it first. I'm not sure why Lincoln worked fine for me now that you point it out. Maybe because Lincoln wasn't actually interacting with them? Hmmm.

I am very glad that Tracy is warning me about Toni Morrison too!!

message 41: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Jason wrote: "My first month participating.

I want to read
The Color Purple
The Secret Life of Bees
Hidden Figures

I recommend:
The Help (If there is anyone who hasnt read it yet)..."

Welcome, Jason!!

I'm not sure if you are an e-reader type of person, but just in case you didn't see my note above, Amazon has The Color Purple available today for $1.99.

Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space is one I didn't think of, but I bet I would love . . .so many good choices out there. And now that you mention it, I actually own Twelve Years a Slave . . .

message 42: by Jason (last edited Oct 23, 2017 05:48PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Anita:

In regards to your comment about there being so many good choice....The thing I love about books is that they are endless. The thing that overwhelms me about books is that they are endless.

I use overdrive mainly for free audio and ebooks on your device from your library.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8872 comments Of course! Yes I recommend Americanah - which just might be in my top 10 for this year. It'll at least be 11 or 12

message 44: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh yes! Americanah for sure!

Welcome Jason. :-)

message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Welcome Susie

message 46: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments You can’t go wrong with Toni Morrison. I really liked all of her books that I’ve read. Liked Song of Solomon a lot but really liked The Bluest Eye. Beloved is actually probably the best of her books on 1001 list and the magical realism works with the book as a literary device.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Dang I was really hoping for disturbing! This will be my first time participating here and I was really excited for that topic.

I would highly recommend The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or Kindred. Wow, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry was one of my favorite books when I was younger. I think I read it every year for a decade.

I've been wanting to read The Mothers by Brit Bennett so if I participate, that will probably be my choice if I can wrangle it from the library.

message 48: by annapi (last edited Oct 23, 2017 08:57PM) (new)

annapi | 5071 comments My recommendation would be anything by Christopher Paul Curtis. He writes children's/YA books so they would be quick reads, and he is a wonderful writer. Won the Newbery for Bud, Not Buddy.

As for what I plan to read, I might actually push myself to finally read The Help. I started it a few days ago, but got distracted by Commissario Guido Brunetti. We'll see if I can tear myself away from Venice for awhile.

message 49: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Susie wrote: "I was so hoping for Disturbing! I think I will try Underground Airlines. My hectic life needs something lighter at present. I’ve never read Toni Morrison so I will attempt one of hers too."
"lighter" is relative for this tag

message 50: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Tessa (FutureAuthor23) wrote: "Dang I was really hoping for disturbing! This will be my first time participating here and I was really excited for that topic.

I would highly recommend The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks or Ki..."

so glad you are here!

« previous 1