2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - Mod Stuff > Yearly Theme 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Oct 23, 2017 01:13AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4597 comments Yearly Theme Suggestion Thread:

Hi everyone!

For 2018 we thought to do as we did this year, to have a theme og the year. For that we need your help! Throw in your thoughts in this thread. Maybe you have a theme in mind that you would like to see? Let us know!
This year we did Around the World so that theme cannot be suggested for next year as we want to change it up :)

Some examples of themes could be: Literary Awards, Inventions that Changed the World of Books, Classics, Diversity.. The sky is the limit! Feel free to support one of these ideas or suggest your own!

message 2: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1897 comments I have a thought... Nature - and some keywords could be:

Wild / tame
Fauna / Flora - sizes, colors, living environments, personality
Natural wonders / catastrophes
Human nature, humans in nature, humans and animals
Open land / woods / under sea / "underworlds"
Real life / fantasy
Past / present / future - surviving / living in different eras
Climates / continents
Industry and nature / Sustainability

I think it could be a broad enough theme to find books in most genres (says a mystery/YA/fantasy-lover) to a lot of challenges - at least with a little imagination :-)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments This year the Colors Challenge was really popular, and the last year Colors was suggested as the yearly theme.

I would love to see A Box of Crayons be our yearly them for next year. We could have a lot of fun with that!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 316 comments I really like the A Box of Crayons idea.

Another suggestion I have is NY Times best sellers. It could be books from when the list first started in the 1940's to present date.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments I like the nature theme... Great ideas, Mie!

message 6: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments What about Law Enforcement and / or Miliary - there're are so many possibilities to learn more about the great people who help to make our lifes safer. I could imagine either to look closer at the different branches in the US or international.

message 7: by Carri (new)

Carri | 316 comments 1. A MAGICAL year of reading.
Witches, Fantasy, Fairy Tales, ect.

2. A Year full of Delicious reads.
Food, cooking, baking, wine, orchards, ect.

3. The PERFECT reading year.
Caldecott Medal, Man Booker Prize, National Book Award
Newbery Medal, The Pulitzer Prize, Hugo & Nebula Awards, and
Eisner Award, ect.

4. A new SEASON for reading.
Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.

5. A SENSATIONAL year of reading.
taste, sight, touch, smell, and hear.

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4597 comments Mie wrote: "I have a thought... Nature - and some keywords could be:

Wild / tame
Fauna / Flora - sizes, colors, living environments, personality
Natural wonders / catastrophes
Human nature, humans in nature,..."

I love that idea Mie!
I also loved the crayons of last year and would like to see it again in the poll :)

Great suggestions guys, keep'em coming! ^^

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Carri, I love the PERFECT year of reading idea!

message 10: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3080 comments Reading through time
Books have been around for centuries so we could read books that have been published in different time periods or books that are set in different eras.

message 11: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 20 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "This year the Colors Challenge was really popular, and the last year Colors was suggested as the yearly theme.

I would love to see A Box of Crayons be our yearly them for next year. We could have ..."

^ This
I was really hoping for the Crayola theme last year so I hope it gets a shot this time.

message 12: by Meghan L (new)

Meghan L | 313 comments I was bummed the Colors theme wasn't chosen for this year, so I'd love to see it for 2018! I also love the senses suggestion, though not sure how to sustain that for a whole year. It would be a great quarterly or monthly theme!

message 13: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6459 comments I'm definitely in favor of the Colors theme, the Award theme, and Reading Through Time. Great suggestions!

message 14: by Carri (new)

Carri | 316 comments Kristin wrote: "I really like Carri's suggestions for the Award-winning books (Perfect Year) and sense-related theme (Sensational Year). I think I'd like the Award-winning as more of a yearly challenge, and the Se..."

Thank you, I think both Award winning and sense- related would give us a lot of great options.

message 15: by Carri (new)

Carri | 316 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "Carri, I love the PERFECT year of reading idea!"

Thank you, I think it would give up a lot of quality options!

message 16: by Carri (new)

Carri | 316 comments Kristin wrote: "I really like Carri's suggestions for the Award-winning books (Perfect Year) and sense-related theme (Sensational Year). I think I'd like the Award-winning as more of a yearly challenge, and the Se..."

Thank you, Kristin
I love the web site that you found showing they have discovered/identified many more senses than the original 5, that would give us even more options!

message 17: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Ok, I've read through all the different challenge ideas, and I have narrowed the list down to these ideas.

Yearly Themes for 2018

Nature
A Box of Crayons
New York Times Best Sellers
Law Enforcement/Military
Magical
Delicious
Perfect - Awards
Different Seasons
Sensational
Reading Through Time
Connections

We can only give you a few more days to make suggestions before we have to vote.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton | 234 comments Law enforcement/military

message 19: by Carri (new)

Carri | 316 comments Kristin, I really like the Connections one also, it would give us a lot of options too.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen O Kristin wrote: "Another idea to add to the options:

Connections, which can be interpreted in different ways. Some ideas for how it could be broken down into smaller themes, and in some cases, even smaller themes...."

Yes! I love the CONNECTIONS idea.

Sheryl_at_Ubookquitous (ubookquitous) | 377 comments I love the "Connections" idea -- sooo many possibilities and some of the other ideas can be worked into it.

Serial Reads yearly was a blast and it can work as connections.

Even awards -- since awards connect authors and books to an established group (Pulitzer, Nobel, even Goodreads).

Time can also work as part of Connections in multiple ways (Connect your birth year to books, connect important event years to books, Connect books by linking year of setting to famous dates... )

message 22: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) I'm sorry, but I don't understand the color theme. Could someone suggest ways it would work? The color challenge this year seems to be colors of covers or color names in the title. Is there more to it than that? Thanks!

I really like the Nature theme, but also Connections, Seasonal, Reading through Time, and Sensational.

message 23: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments For the Colors theme, it would be a box of Crayola Crayons.

Crayola Crayons have some interesting names like

Fuzzy Wuzzy Brown
Mango Tango
Shadow
Mountain Meadow
Outer Space
Razzle Dazzle Rose

And some classics like:

Green
Black
Silver
Fuchsia
Aquamarine
Mahogany

Here's the completed list:
http://unicornomics.com/post/49644068...

Anyway, the theme would be to use the fun and classic names of the different crayons to create challenges.

I hope that explains it.

message 24: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) Kadijah Michelle wrote: "For the Colors theme, it would be a box of Crayola Crayons.
..."

Thank you, Kadijah!

message 25: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I'm so ready for 2018!

message 26: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Morris | 226 comments Looking at the list of crayola colors, I think that it would also work well with the nature theme as well.

message 27: by Radhika (new)

Radhika Carri wrote: "1. A MAGICAL year of reading.
Witches, Fantasy, Fairy Tales, ect.

2. A Year full of Delicious reads.
Food, cooking, baking, wine, orchards, ect.

3. The PERFECT reading year.
Caldecott M..."

I love the *DELICIOUS* and *PERFECT* themes!

message 28: by Pritam (new)

Pritam Tamang | 2 comments Literary Awards! Let's do this!

message 29: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4597 comments CLosing this thread now, poll will be up very soon :)

message 30: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.