2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Commonwealth
This topic is about Commonwealth
ARCHIVE 2017 > Commonwealth: Chapter 4-5

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4556 comments This is the discussion thread for Commonwealth by Ann Patchett Chapter 4-5

Alicia | 167 comments I struggled a bit with the first three chapters with every character being so unlikable. After reading chapters 4 and 5, I am definitely more invested in the story and characters. I like that at least one character (Jeanette) seems to have a happy life. I am intrigued about what happened to Cal and how the book by Leo Posen will affect everyone’s already strained relationships.

Claire  (claire6452) | 685 comments I agree, Alicia. These chapters gave us enough background on the characters that they are more real, and certainly more likable than I thought they would be as adults.

My initial thought is that Franny deserves better than Posen. He seems very self absorbed, and I think she's a genuinely kind person. (I have read far enough to know how this story line plays out; this was my first impression of them.)

Lynn (lmelliott) | 686 comments I just finished Chapter 5 and I had no idea where this book was headed until Albie was reading in the laundromat. I read the description of the plot a very long time ago, so....surprise!

message 5: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 80 comments I think for Franny the Posen character is almost like a priest to her he was someone she had worshipped and she confessed all these stories too. I think she stuck with him, because herself esteem for herself was low.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Commonwealth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Patchett (other topics)