2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Commonwealth
This topic is about Commonwealth
ARCHIVE 2017 > Commonwealth: Chapter 1-3

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4592 comments This is the discussion thread for Commonwealth by Ann Patchett Chapter 1-3

message 2: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2017 02:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3986 comments How is everyone liking it so far? I must say that it has never me so little time to dislike a character, but luckily the story is told from several perspectives.

message 3: by Megan, Challenges (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan (lahairoi) | 6436 comments Agreed, Ilona. I actually haven't found a single character to really like yet. I'm definitely struggling with this one.

message 4: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 82 comments yeah I just started I haven't found anyone yet that I really like, but if life your not going to like everyone you meet

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3986 comments Well, I like Fiz, and feel bad for Albie. They are both victims of the actions of the other characters.
It is mostly Bert who I really do not like.

Claire  (claire6452) | 690 comments I really don't like Bert or Beverly. Not only are they responsible for the entire situation, they seem to be completely selfish in every way. They manifest it differently. He just avoids the kids completely, but she seems as though she doesn't like his kids at all, and handles her daughters according to her needs, not theirs.

It's no wonder the kids hate them!

message 7: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 82 comments Bert is definitely selfish. If he didn't want to be with his kids why fight for summer custody?

Alicia | 167 comments I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling with these characters. They are all so selfish, which you can sort of forgive kids for. But Beverly, Bert, and Theresa? They are just the worst. Sending the four kids to Virginia with no luggage was something else.

I’m hoping that, as the book continues, we’ll find some redeemable qualities in at least one character. Fingers crossed.

message 9: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 82 comments I don't think bad of Theresa sending the kids without luggage. kinda like her getting a little revenge on Albert and Beverly.

message 10: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Nov 22, 2017 01:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilona | 3986 comments I wouldn't mind it if it actually was revenge on Albert, but now is she is also punishing her kids in a way. And mostly Beverly, who is definitely selfish, but not as bad as Bert, at least she feeds the kids.

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Theresa isn't as selfish as she sad and worn out. She married a man who used her for babies he didn't want and dumped her because she wasn't "hot."

As someone who has been a single mom struggling, and someone who has been cheated on, I totally get why she sent the kids across the country without any luggage. She just should have called as soon as the kids were on the plane to say she did it.

Alicia | 167 comments Without giving any spoilers, I can say that I actually liked Theresa by the end of the book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Commonwealth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Patchett (other topics)