Play Book Tag discussion

The Nix
This topic is about The Nix
October 2017: Society > The Nix by Nathan Hill - 5 Stars and a <3

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments The Nix by Nathan Hill- 5 Stars and a <3

The book opens with an attack on an ultra-conservative governor who's stock is rising and a potential presidential candidate. It turns out the the attacker is the estranged mother, Faye, of Samuel Anderson, a disappointed writer who also teaches literature at a Chicago college. When given the opportunity to revive his career by writing a tell-all on his mother Samuel begins uncovering the mystery of his mother's past. Alternating between the 1960's, when his mother spent a brief period in the Civil Rights movement, and present-day Hill proves his mettle as a spell-binding storyteller allowing the mysterious past of Faye to unfold with perfect timing like peeling back the layers of an onion.

I admit I've had this on my TBR forever. It obviously was interesting enough to pique my interest but the length of the book combined with the obvious parallels to present day political discourse dissuaded me a number of times from picking it up. To add to it, I tried this on audio and it didn't hold my attention. I am so glad I gave it another try. I'm a sucker for a good story, good reading, and a character's self-discovery. This had it all. The story is so well-written, the mystery is so well developed, and it ties up nicely in the end (although the resolution of Samuel's love life seemed a bit forced). The only tiny complaint I had was I got very bored with the gaming culture and sub-plot. But, that's probably just me. If you have contemplated reading it, stop. Just do it.

Susie | 4488 comments Yay!!! Such a great book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Yay!!! I am so glad you liked this. It will 90% for sure be on my top 10 of the year.

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments It's one that wasso good I'd worry about reading a second novel

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8509 comments This one stayed with me too as a top read!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments I agree, Regina, that this is a case where I will be hesitant to get too excited about his next novel just because it will be hard to live up to how much I loved this one!

But, I am sure I will read it.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments This is my #1 book of the year. I love it so much. I'm excited when anyone reads it. So happy you loved it. I liked the audio. I really, really liked how the narrator read the ditzy college student. At first I was annoyed and them I thought it was just so funny.

I tweeted Nathan Hill and he tweeted me back, which might be the coolest thing that has happened to me on Twitter.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Regina wrote: "The Nix by Nathan Hill- 5 Stars and a <3

The book opens with an attack on an ultra-conservative governor who's stock is rising and a potential presidential candidate. It turns out the the attacker..."

My son was into gaming culture when he was in high school and I've got to say Nathan Hill nailed it. I was in stitches - easily one of my favorite parts of the book; I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I'm so happy you loved the book, Regina!

Kelly | 802 comments This was a great book!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Yay- Great book. In my Top Ten last year.

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Yay- Great book. In my Top Ten last year." I have a feeling it will make my top 10 this year as well

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "This is my #1 book of the year. I love it so much. I'm excited when anyone reads it. So happy you loved it. I liked the audio. I really, really liked how the narrator read the ditzy college student..."

Ha! I know the feeling. I had an author comment on my review of his book here on GR. It turned into quite a lengthy discussion. It was so cool!

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "This is my #1 book of the year. I love it so much. I'm excited when anyone reads it. So happy you loved it. I liked the audio. I really, really liked how the narrator read the ditzy college student..."

I think it is probably my #1 (at worst #2) for the year as well. Plus, I saw Nathan Hill speak at the National Book Festival, and the guy is GREAT. Just a really down to earth personality who is witty and self deprecating. It took him a really long time to write the book, and like Stephen King, he just let's the characters take him where they will (unlike Amor Towles who is an extreme outliner).

Just a great book, and I'm so not surprised Hill answered the tweet.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Anita, I'm completely jealous. I thought about traveling to hear him speak bit we were away at a wedding in Chicago. I'm semi-stalking him. Same with Anthony Marra. Obsessed.

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "Anita, I'm completely jealous. I thought about traveling to hear him speak bit we were away at a wedding in Chicago. I'm semi-stalking him. Same with Anthony Marra. Obsessed."

Lol on the semi stalking! Hopefully keep an eye out for him and grab the chance to hear him if you can. He was my fave of the speakers I saw. Very charismatic.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Jennifer, remind me where you live again? Are you in New England?

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8509 comments Both Jens are with us. We have quite the group. And in my opinion, so much local talent. I count potentially six of us for that meetup at the Trident Bookstore Cafe - you know, the one that will never happen... Twentieth Anniversary of PBT when our lives are a little less chaotic?

Kelly | 802 comments Anita wrote: "Jennifer P. wrote: "Anita, I'm completely jealous. I thought about traveling to hear him speak bit we were away at a wedding in Chicago. I'm semi-stalking him. Same with Anthony Marra. Obsessed."

..."

I agree with Anita. He was a great speaker at the National Book Festival!