Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > ET's "maybe this is the year I decrease my TBR" plan

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 19, 2018 07:14PM) (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 27 comments So, one year I went through and cleaned out my TBR. That lasted... maybe a week? So THIS year, I'm only going to choose books that are already on my TBR, with only a couple exceptions. I've been reading more than 52 a year, but I might repeat some of the topics if I have time. I've never gone in order before, so for the most part I'm going to try to do that this year. However, I've just started grad school, so it's definitely going to be more challenging this time around. Here we go!

3/52 completed

A book with the letters A, T, and Y in the Title: The Way of Kings
A book from the first 10 books added to your TBR list: Anansi Boys
A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards: Artemis

4 books linked by the 4 elements (Earth): The Clan of the Cave Bear
A book about or inspired by real events: A Colored Man's Reminiscences of James Madison
A book originally written in a language other than English: The Girl Who Played with Fire
A gothic novel: The Picture of Dorian Gray
An "own voices" book: Kindred
A book with a body part in the title: The Eye of the World
An author's debut book: An Enchantment of Ravens
A literary fiction: The Handmaid's Tale
A book set in Africa or South America: Homegoing
A book with a plot centered around a secret: Tempests and Slaughter
4 books linked by the 4 elements (Fire): Golden Son
A book with a unique format/writing structure: Gemina
A narrative nonfiction: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
A book you expect to make you laugh: The Princess Bride
A book with a location in the title: Another Brooklyn
A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand Master Author: The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America
A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends: The Bear and the Nightingale
A book written in first person perspective: The Bone Clocks
A book you have high expectations or hope for: Furies of Calderon
A medical or legal thriller: Every Fifteen Minutes
A book with a map: The Final Empire
A book with an antagonist/villain point of view: Wuthering Heights
A book with a text-only cover: Americanah
A book about surviving a hardship: The Grapes of Wrath
4 books linked by the 4 elements (Water): The Magicians
A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover/title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench: Assassin's Apprentice
A short book: Dandelion Wine
A book set in a country you'd like to visit: Neverwhere
An alternate history book: His Majesty's Dragon
A book connected (title/cover/content) to a word "born" in the same year as you: The Lovely Bones
A suggestion from the ATY 2018 polls that didn't win but was polarizing or a close call: Morning Star
A book featuring a murder: Sharp Objects
A book published in the last 3 years by an author you haven't read before: Strange the Dreamer
A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee: The Goldfinch
A science or science fiction book: Dune
A book with a form of punctuation in the title: Wizard's First Rule
A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list: Catch-22
A book by an author with the same first and last initials: City of Bones
A book that takes place on, in, or underwater: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
A book with a title that is a whole sentence: Walk on Earth a Stranger
A ghost story: The Turn of the Screw
A book that intimidates/scares you: Dark Places
4 books linked by the 4 elements (Air): The Farthest Shore
A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own: Flame in the Mist
A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth): The Wrath and the Dawn
A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists: Scythe
A book with a warm atmosphere: The Glass Castle
An award-winning short story or short story collection: Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions
A book published in 2018: Hullmetal Girls

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 100 comments thats my plan every year but half way through, i ditch it. Hopefully i will be able to stick with it this year. Good luck with yours

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 27 comments Mai wrote: "thats my plan every year but half way through, i ditch it. Hopefully i will be able to stick with it this year. Good luck with yours"

Thanks! Good luck with yours, too!

message 4: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments i have picture of dorian gray for gothic novel too! very excited to finally get into oscar wilde territory. and i may read artemis later in the year. great list!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 27 comments Sabrina wrote: "i have picture of dorian gray for gothic novel too! very excited to finally get into oscar wilde territory. and i may read artemis later in the year. great list!"

I just finished Artemis! I didn't like it quite as much as The Martian, but it was an enjoyable read :) This will be my first time reading Wilde, too. Hope you enjoy it!